Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 01:59 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Take any job, I mean any for example dishwasher, kmart work for 1 day on the books, then call out sidk all week. Guess what your collecting on your old job it goes by quarters. If kmart fires you which they will if you call out sick, you just wait 5 weeks and collect full bennys off the jerk who paid you 18 dollars an hour.
First let me say it does stink that your pay was cut. It also stinks that you were given incorrect or incomplete information...it is so important to get the names of people you speak to or better yet ask them to refer you where to find the info in writing. That said, please be very careful assuming the above info will work for you.this

I worked in HR for 16 years. First, you have to work at another job for a period of time (it used to be 6 weeks) before you could apply again. So assuming you worked 6 weeks and then decided you wanted to get fired there are a few things to consider.

1. Is this morally what you want to do.
2. Will this really work - People always asked me if I got upset when I had to fire someone and I said it never made me happy but I never fired anyone they fired themselves. Many companies have progressive discipline policies - all the companies I worked for did. This meant that I would have exhaustive documentation on your work habits and will have counseled you on at least 2 occassions regarding any infractions in policy. This documentation is considered Termination for Cause and any good company with a good HR staff will supply these documents to Unemployment and you will be denied...even though you got fired. My job in HR is to make you successful, if you can't show up on time or show up at all or meet quotas or give change correctly then that is a failure on the employees part and not the fault of the company. My second job is, if you refuse to do the job you were hired for, to protect the company from increased UI tax burdens in the future and to do this I need to demonstrate that you are not eligible for UI.

That said because I'm sure to many of you I sound like a P(*&*K. You can collect if you are "unjustly" fired. You go to work and call out 2 days even though you weren't yet eligible for time off. The company should give you a warning. If you don't call out the company can assume you quit. If you call and then they fire you the day you return to work you have a pretty good case since they should have given you at least one more chance.

You can quit your job and collect for good cause. A change in job responsibilites or scheduling is one example. You were hired to work days and now you have to work nights.

Many people collect unemployment for good reason. The assumption that you pay into it for years and then want to quit your job and get paid is not what unemployment is meant for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 02:38 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
I knew that moral stuff was coming, however, you said you were hard working, so I figured that a man deserves a break sometimes in life and I know what its like to work your ass off and get nothing or not a break. Hey its not moral but if you need to survive and cant find a job its a temp. solution and you paid into it anyway. No its not the right thing but it can be done.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:12 AM

2 posts, read 18,790 times
Default I Want To Thank Everyone For Thier Input

Now I Know I Should Have Not Quit. And Probably Could Have Quit For Many Other Reasons Earlier.enough Is Enough!!!!temper Temper
Never Realized It Was Going To Be So Hard To Find Another Job.i Will Just Keep Searching
Thanks Again To Everyone And God Bless

Old 12-23-2008, 07:51 PM

16 posts, read 41,375 times
I was working for a company 9 months and i quit. after a month i work in a another job for 5 months i made 8 times my basic salary and i been lay off.i fill for UI and only thery give me 520$a week for the maximum amount of 1200$.i see thery not included the weeks i work to the job i quit.can thery do that; state of NJ.THANK YOU

Old 12-24-2008, 04:38 AM

604 posts, read 2,913,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amf66 View Post
I was working for a company 9 months and i quit. after a month i work in a another job for 5 months i made 8 times my basic salary and i been lay off.i fill for UI and only thery give me 520$a week for the maximum amount of 1200$.i see thery not included the weeks i work to the job i quit.can thery do that; state of NJ.THANK YOU
Nothing like a timely reply to a question.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,063 times
ive been at my job 4+ months and will be taking a 6 week leave for medical reasons. i was told my position MAY not be available when im ready to return. Do i HAVE to accept any position they offer or can i refuse an alternate position. if so can i collectn ui benefits?

Old 12-29-2011, 11:10 AM

9 posts, read 24,202 times
I understand that this an old post but if i can still reply, then i will. Moving forward, it sucks that employers get away with so much when they forget that it is because of the EMPLOYEES that their company succeeds. As far as sticking around until you found another job, you did exactly what i would have done because your assignments didn't decrease, your salary did! Yes you have responsibilities but your first one besides to God and your family is yourself. Why should you stoop to what the company feels your worth? If you have worked enough years and have paid taxes, why not start recouping on your payouts like welfare? You paid into the system so now let the system pay you back! People make me sick talking about welfare like it is some kind of taboo! Yet, they loose their dignity and self respect by sticking around on jobs because they are too ashamed to get back all of the monies they paid into the same system as everyone else. Go to school and do what you have to do to make sure your family eats because people are going to talk about you whether you do good or bad. Make your own judgement on your behavior, jobs come and go but self-respect and dignity are buried with you...remember that!

Old 12-30-2011, 07:00 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
Default why not start recouping on your payouts like welfare?

Is this a new deduction that I should be looking at on my paystub?Sometimes there is a difference between unemployment INSURANCE and welfare. UI you pay into automatically to the state, so if you get laid off you use your INSURANCE until it runs out and/or you get a new job.. Some people on welfare did not work or do not work and have no intention of going to work and live on welfare for a good portion of their lives.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:08 PM

831 posts, read 2,825,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhick2b View Post
ive been at my job 4+ months and will be taking a 6 week leave for medical reasons. i was told my position MAY not be available when im ready to return. Do i HAVE to accept any position they offer or can i refuse an alternate position. if so can i collectn ui benefits?
You have to take the alternative position and if you don't, they'll say you quit.
You shouldn't be taking a leave that long after just 4 months.
They may even terminate the position all together.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:26 PM

5 posts, read 8,536 times
Default Unemployment insurance is paid for by the employer, not the employee, by the way!

Just wanted to set that straight. Sounds like you were screwed over, but you can be happy you didn't actually "pay into it."

Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey