Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 03:42 PM

544 posts, read 1,229,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
I had to put down $300 over 10 years ago and I didn't get it back until I disconnected service which was 5 or 6 years later.
jeez.. did they tell you why this amount? i would have thought that amount goes back into your account to use as credit at the end of the year? so i don't get this deposit until i move out... hmmmm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 03:50 PM

78 posts, read 103,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
They base the "Deposit" amount on a Month or two of normal usage.

or there estimation of what is normal for that type of place.
My apartment is less than 700 sqft and my bill is nowhere near that amount. I have no idea how they come up with such an arbitrary amount. It's definitely not based on usage at my place.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:51 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,905,456 times
If your payment history is good (ontime every-time) , after a year or so you can ask for the deposit to be credited to your account.

Some Utilities you can have your current/former utility fax them a letter saying you payed on time and they will wave the deposit requirement.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybaby80 View Post
jeez.. did they tell you why this amount? i would have thought that amount goes back into your account to use as credit at the end of the year? so i don't get this deposit until i move out... hmmmm
They told me I'd get it back after 12 months so hopefully they've revised their policy and I'll get mine back next year.

Old 03-05-2015, 04:06 PM

19,038 posts, read 25,123,345 times
Quote:
how do they come up w/ an amount? i'm putting down 134.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by shesbenevolent View Post
My apartment is less than 700 sqft and my bill is nowhere near that amount. I have no idea how they come up with such an arbitrary amount. It's definitely not based on usage at my place.

Think about it...If you are new to this apartment, obviously they can't base that number on your usage, so it is based on the usage of the previous tenant.

If the previous tenant used a lot of electricity, your deposit will be higher.
If they used less, it will be lower.
That is the only way for a utility to base a deposit for a new customer on "usage".

Old 03-06-2015, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
They base the "Deposit" amount on a Month or two of normal usage.

or there estimation of what is normal for that type of place.
ohhhhhh ok, thanks

Old 03-06-2015, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Think about it...If you are new to this apartment, obviously they can't base that number on your usage, so it is based on the usage of the previous tenant.

That is the only way for a utility to base a deposit for a new customer on "usage".

thanks! yea... i'm not going to complain about 134.. could be worse

Old 03-06-2015, 07:50 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,125,104 times
Quote:
I never had PSEG under my name so I didn't question it. Figured that's what everyone paid.

Now that I think about it, it was over 17 yrs ago when I graduated college and got my own place. There's probably a correlation between age, credit rating etc and the initial deposit amount. I haven't had to put a deposit down for 3 subsequent residences.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

The apartment was vacant for 6 months before I moved in but the utilities were still connected. They electricity was used when the management company showed the apartment and when renovations were made, the electricity/heat were barely used.
And I am not an idiot thanks.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:16 PM

19,038 posts, read 25,123,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shesbenevolent View Post
The apartment was vacant for 6 months before I moved in but the utilities were still connected. They electricity was used when the management company showed the apartment and when renovations were made, the electricity/heat were barely used.
And I am not an idiot thanks.

I didn't attempt to imply that you were an idiot, and if you interpreted my response that way, it was not intended.

However, I believe that the deposit was based on peak usage when the apartment was occupied.
What other explanation do you have for varying deposit amounts for different people?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey