Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 05:17 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAndBredInNYC View Post
LOL....where are they? No, seriously- I would like to keep my current job, which is here in Queens.
You could probably find a 1-br in Edison, Rahway, Woodbridge, or Linden and be on the NJ Transit route into NY Penn Station. Getting to Queens from any of those places is going to be a PITA, but that's going to be the case in the East Orange/Newark area as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 08:23 PM

25 posts, read 172,480 times
The pizza guy where I live in Flushing, Queens pays 800 for rent. I pay 660. Without a car, Queens is actually your best bet. You may as well shoot yourself before even visiting east orange. I took a drive to the "60" condo building and it was worse than I expected.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:40 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,360,499 times
I, as I'm sure many others have, highly discourage Orange and East Orange. Yes, the rent is "nicely" priced - but that has a reason (crime, etc.). I definitely wouldn't recommend it if you would be walking around at night, either.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:43 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,360,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
There are none especially in an area that is not heavily populated and urban. You can check craigslist. There is a building in Bloomfield that has apartments for $800 I believe.
Rent.com has places around Essex/Union/Bergen, etc. too.

A lot of them range from 800-1200+

Old 10-06-2008, 05:53 AM

64 posts, read 297,655 times
i would go with orange over east orange its somewhat safer but yeah if you live in astoria you should have street smarts which is something that people dont think about. if you spent your whole life living in the suburbs and your in the middle of east orange your gonna be scared out of your wits and thats a lot of what your getting now people that are scared but i personaly think that east orange isnt that bad. dont get me wrong it could use a facelift but just look into it get a couple of friends and drive around east orange for the night.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:27 AM

100 posts, read 402,907 times
Just to add to the feedback about East Orange...the last time I was there (last year), my wife and I watched a guy in a stolen car cross the median, heading for us, only to slam his car into the car in front of us. There were two elderly occupants inside who were injured. He ran.

Westchester is generally safer, depending on the area, and you can probably get things in your price range if looking for a one-bedroom.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 19,595 times
I would also suggest The Ironbound or Forest Hills in Newark (Yes, Newark!) These are both safe and relatively affordable areas. The Ironbound is very similar to Astoria in look and feel (lots of restaurants and cafes, and most people live in 2- and 3-family houses). In East Orange, there are several nice buildings along Prospect Street. East Orange has a very low crime rate considering its demographics. The city has police cameras everywhere. If you have "street smarts" (i/e smarter than a suburbanite), you will be fine. BTW, I am a white professional with a masters degree, and own my house in Newark (and I won't move anywhere else). I park my new Volvo on the street every night, too.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:35 PM

24 posts, read 138,387 times
Mind your own business in both areas, wear conservative clothing, and don't eye anyones grape soda XD

Old 01-02-2011, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,040 times
Not exactly a ringing endorsement when a comparison is used with Harlem to boost up E.Orange

Old 04-09-2013, 03:07 PM

5 posts, read 9,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
Please take what you hear on these boards with a grain of salt. If it were up to the majority of people on the NJ forum we would all live either in Hoboken or in the outskirts of Jersey. Unfortunately not all of us can afford to do that. Now I admit E.O. is not the safest area by far but I would think that you would take the same precautions as you would if you lived in Harlem. Don't move to the most dangerous area of the city and if you get off too late take a cab home.
The reputation of Harlem is dated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey