Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 03:45 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times

Advertisements

Back to Linden, seemingly everyone I know from there has medical issues. Tumors, cancer, lumps on their body. No one from there looks particularly healthy. I just feel like there's no reason to live there and take a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 04:10 PM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
...and speaking of our "environmental" governor, here is his latest money grab.

Do you remember that ballot question where you approved the use of part of the corporate tax for buying out homeowners in flood prone areas, and to preserve farmland and prevent those farms from becoming more McMansions?

Well, our esteemed governor has decided to use those funds to help him prop up his budget, because...
With his eye on The White House, he certainly doesn't want to have to raise taxes in order to pay for his other various schemes.

Chris Christie...The Bait & Switch Governor.
What a guy!

Fight erupts on use of NJ open space money - News - NorthJersey.com

Old 03-16-2015, 07:45 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Back to Linden, seemingly everyone I know from there has medical issues. Tumors, cancer, lumps on their body. No one from there looks particularly healthy. I just feel like there's no reason to live there and take a chance.
I frequent Linden quite much in the past year because of the AMC theater and other stores such as the Vietnamese Pho restaurant there is pretty good. I also went to new Buffalo Wild Wings there and there were tons of people there. So I find your claim to be ridiculous and untruthful. At the Target in Linden, I see lots of healthy people. Why are you making this kind of stuff up? It's a very diverse city is that your agenda?

For those that claim the air stinks, I don't smell anything that stinks. Manhattan smells much worst.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:24 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I frequent Linden quite much in the past year because of the AMC theater and other stores such as the Vietnamese Pho restaurant there is pretty good. I also went to new Buffalo Wild Wings there and there were tons of people there. So I find your claim to be ridiculous and untruthful. At the Target in Linden, I see lots of healthy people. Why are you making this kind of stuff up? It's a very diverse city is that your agenda?

For those that claim the air stinks, I don't smell anything that stinks. Manhattan smells much worst.
It stinks around the refineries, which is to be expected. Along the Elizabeth border, near the Goethals Bridge so by the Turnpike/278 area, maybe a little 1 and 9, you can smell it. The smell often greets you coming back to NJ via the Goethals. Otherwise, Linden doesn't smell. That is one small area bordering the water, so it's set back and pretty minute.

Linden is pretty nice in some areas.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
It stinks around the refineries, which is to be expected. Along the Elizabeth border, near the Goethals Bridge so by the Turnpike/278 area, maybe a little 1 and 9, you can smell it. The smell often greets you coming back to NJ via the Goethals. Otherwise, Linden doesn't smell. That is one small area bordering the water, so it's set back and pretty minute.

Linden is pretty nice in some areas.
I live in Union so I'm quite familiar with the area because it's the gateway to Staten Island and NYC. I just find the claim by the previous poster to be preposterous.

The refinery sits out next to NJ turnpike, it doesn't sit in the middle of any towns nearby. There are zoning laws about that if it was true. I was at the Sams Club nearby and was able to see the refinery tower and I don't smell anything. I wouldn't want to go anywhere near those refineries.

If it was so toxic that people are dying and getting cancer left and right we should see ghost towns nearby. Instead I see many new shopping and retail stores popping up, I go to AMC in Linden a lot to watch movies, Starbucks right there and Apt complexes being built in both Elizabeth and Linden near the train stations contrary to what some people are saying that people are leaving the area.

The only constant I can tell is that both Elizabeth and Linden are diverse have multiple ethnics and races living there that tells me why some people troll yet they never even been around the area much probably because they don't want to be with diversity.

My guess is that in a few years the area will get some doses of gentrification as many new Apts and Condos are being built along the entire Northeast corridor train stations. From Newark all the way down.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:30 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
I live in Union so I'm quite familiar with the area because it's the gateway to Staten Island and NYC. I just find the claim by the previous poster to be preposterous.

The refinery sits out next to NJ turnpike, it doesn't sit in the middle of any towns nearby. There are zoning laws about that if it was true. I was at the Sams Club nearby and was able to see the refinery tower and I don't smell anything. I wouldn't want to go anywhere near those refineries.

If it was so toxic that people are dying and getting cancer left and right we should see ghost towns nearby. Instead I see many new shopping and retail stores popping up, I go to AMC in Linden a lot to watch movies, Starbucks right there and Apt complexes being built in both Elizabeth and Linden near the train stations contrary to what some people are saying that people are leaving the area.

The only constant I can tell is that both Elizabeth and Linden are diverse have multiple ethnics and races living there that tells me why some people troll yet they never even been around the area much probably because they don't want to be with diversity.

My guess is that in a few years the area will get some doses of gentrification as many new Apts and Condos are being built along the entire Northeast corridor train stations. From Newark all the way down.
Yeah I haven't heard of health effects either (I'm sure there are some but not on a huge scale or anything) and the area is pretty popular, with the movie theater and shopping and restaurants. I've been a few times, and go through Linden to get to SI nearly every day so I'm very familiar with Linden as well. I live in Cranford, which is right next to Linden, and still don't hear these negative things.

I hope the Northeast Corridor can flourish but I personally find a lot of it around here to be too industrial in look and feel.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:

What does diversity have to do with anything? I'm talking about pollution. Manhattan smells worse? What of urine? Maybe. But anyone who can't smell the refineries in Linden should have their olfactory senses checked.

WIDOWS CARRY ON WITH EFFORTS TO STUDY REFINERY'S CANCER CASES

Old 03-17-2015, 07:57 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
What does diversity have to do with anything? I'm talking about pollution. Manhattan smells worse? What of urine? Maybe. But anyone who can't smell the refineries in Linden should have their olfactory senses checked.
In the town of Linden you don't smell the refineries unless the wind is blowing from the east, which isn't usual.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:

WIDOWS CARRY ON WITH EFFORTS TO STUDY REFINERY'S CANCER CASES
Your link there references people that work at the refinery which is pretty obvious for anyone that work at these sites. I wouldn't even be near it.

Your claim that people in Linden town all have cancer is bs. Unless you have some hidden agenda, it's a bogus claim.

I do understand the effects of pollution and the quicker we can shut the refinery down the better. Long terms it affects anyone in the area, it doesn't matter where you live. Because the wind is going to carry it all over NYC/NJ.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Your link there references people that work at the refinery which is pretty obvious for anyone that work at these sites. I wouldn't even be near it.

Your claim that people in Linden town all have cancer is bs. Unless you have some hidden agenda, it's a bogus claim.

I do understand the effects of pollution and the quicker we can shut the refinery down the better. Long terms it affects anyone in the area, it doesn't matter where you live. Because the wind is going to carry it all over NYC/NJ.
Reading comprehension is clearly not your strong suit. I said that everyone that I knew who grew up in Linden (which is probably 4 or 5 people) all had either tumors, lumps on their skin, or some form of cancer. That does NOT mean that everyone in Linden has cancer.

As you admit yourself, the refinery is creating pollution. The effects of pollution on a receptor (human) are dictated by 3 main factors:

Distance from pollution
Concentration of the pollutants
Time exposed to the pollution

By living in Linden, you are exposed to a more concentrated amount of pollution than areas that don't have the refinery. So, you are close, you are concentrated, and you live there, so the time spent there is high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey