Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 07:33 AM

40 posts, read 44,261 times

Advertisements

Clinton/annandale has condos in that range and a direct bus to port authority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 08:40 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNinja View Post
Clinton/annandale has condos in that range and a direct bus to port authority.
OK, in this case "easy commute" does not necessarily mean "short commute" to NYC. OP, does that fit your criteria? Look on a map and see where those towns are.

We're really not trying to be sarcastic here. It was just a little shocking to see someone ask for real estate in New Jersey with that sort of price tag. However, you are not the first person from New York City to mysteriously believe that New Jersey is an inexpensive place to live. We've had NYC people come here looking for $700, 2-bedroom apartments, a rent which could be had back in the early 1990s.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:41 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We've had NYC people come here looking for $700, 2-bedroom apartments, a rent which could be had back in the early 1990s.

Yup!
I was paying in the high $600 range for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath apartment in Cranford, in the mid-late '80s.
When those NYers seeking $700 apartments "in a nice area" of NJ post their inquiries, all I can do is shake my head in disbelief.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:44 AM

40 posts, read 44,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OK, in this case "easy commute" does not necessarily mean "short commute" to NYC. OP, does that fit your criteria? Look on a map and see where those towns are.

We're really not trying to be sarcastic here. It was just a little shocking to see someone ask for real estate in New Jersey with that sort of price tag. However, you are not the first person from New York City to mysteriously believe that New Jersey is an inexpensive place to live. We've had NYC people come here looking for $700, 2-bedroom apartments, a rent which could be had back in the early 1990s.
Yea not to mention the cost of the monthly bus ticket, and car payments and insurance since you definitely need a car to live around there. The bus is around an hour, not including the drive to the lot plus wherever you're going from port authority. And the clinton lot fills up quick so you better get there early! It is a nice area though.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:13 AM

27 posts, read 34,974 times
I wouldn't say he's being unrealistic it just depends on where he's willing to live. Condo's in and around Newark, Belleville, East Orange, etc. can all be had for under 100k and have decent travel times to NYC. Obviously there's some trade offs in terms of location but without knowing the OP personally I wouldn't automatically exclude them because "nice areas" doesn't really mean anything until you visit a neighborhood and decide is it "nice" enough.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:07 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchtSean View Post
I wouldn't say he's being unrealistic it just depends on where he's willing to live. Condo's in and around Newark, Belleville, East Orange, etc. can all be had for under 100k and have decent travel times to NYC. Obviously there's some trade offs in terms of location but without knowing the OP personally I wouldn't automatically exclude them because "nice areas" doesn't really mean anything until you visit a neighborhood and decide is it "nice" enough.
+1. Some iffy towns can have some very nice areas.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:37 PM

472 posts, read 812,505 times
As stated by others, you're most likely not going to find anything decent with that sort of budget unless it's in a crime-ridden area or rather far from the city.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:56 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
You could probably find a co-op in Fort Lee around 100k, but the maintenance fee would be murder. Your monthly cost (mortgage/tax/fee/ins) would be comparable to the monthly cost to own a condo with double the purchase price. There is a recent thread on the topic of maintenance fees for Fort Lee co-ops.

I can think of nothing else that meets your criteria, unless you have a flexible definition of "nice area" and/or "easy commute" and/or "90k"
The Linwood Co-Ops fit the bill, cheap and absurdly well financially managed, but they're so aggressive about keeping costs down that it almost reaches the point of neglect.

Edit: just checked the MLS out of curiosity --- wow they've shot up in value over the last couple years.

Little back of the envelope for converting high maintenance co-ops to sticker is effective sticker = 120 x maintenance + 1/2 * purchase price, IFF tax is included in maintenance, so a typical Fort Lee co-op with for example $900/month maintenance and $80K sticker would be roughly equivalent to a $150K sticker price somewhere with a less lopsided maintenance/price ratio, which still isn't that bad all in.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:16 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
I dont think this is really that unrealistic. If you are not particular about where you live and dont mind a condo that was built in the 1960s, you can find a perfectly reasonable 1 bedroom condo in a low crime area for $125,000 or less. Commutable to NYC. It seems like a relatively big jump, but in terms of monthly payments its only $150-200 a month.

My advice would be to save up a bit more and watch the listings daily. HOA fees and taxes need to be factored in just as much as the price. If you are flexible and do your homework you can find a decent place to own on the cheap.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:11 AM

4 posts, read 5,360 times
Empire View condominiums in East Orange. It's the nicest building of the last 3 I've lived in. Google it. I lived there, then moved to Harlem which I LOVED and now I'm back in that building at empire view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey