Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 08:04 AM

123 posts, read 579,938 times

Advertisements

Riverwalk is kind of far for me.. thanks anyway though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 10:19 AM

279 posts, read 1,348,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amelen View Post
Riverwalk is kind of far for me.. thanks anyway though!
Our townhouse is on the market! It's in Saddle Brook, NJ. And it's right near the bus into NYC (I take it myself). Let me know if you are interested.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:21 AM

tooshort .... can you send me the details and pictures? Email: alex1 [at] t35.com.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:38 PM

259 posts, read 924,961 times
Quote:
What are the pros and cons to each? I've recently been looking at high rise condo's but am now starting to also consider town houses. What are the pro's and con's to each? I tried to search online and can't seem to find too many 2bdroom town houses, am I looking in the wrong area? I tried maywood, river edge and paramus.

Thanks!
Pros: There are some very nice, well put together Condo's and Townhomes in New Jersey.

Cons: When selling, it doesn't matter how much money you put into your place, you could have gold plated floors, if the guy next to you sold his townhouse for dirt cheap you won't get anything for yours.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:57 PM

279 posts, read 1,348,054 times
Quote:
tooshort .... can you send me the details and pictures? Email: alex1 [at] t35.com.
I sent you a private message.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:41 AM

22 posts, read 113,447 times
I think living in a condo is the same as living in a rented apartment in the sense that you still have to worry about noise from neighbors next door and upstairs/downstairs. The pro is that it's easier to rent out a condo should the need arise. A townhome is more independent, and exterior maintenance/landscaping is usually taken care of. The con of both is that maintenance/association fees could easily go into $2000-$3000 per year in Central and North NJ. My husband and I started out searching for a townhome but after looking at the prices some of them were going for (East Brunswick, Rahway, Princeton, Clifton, Nutley, Hackensack... pretty much anywhere within reasonably commuting distance to NYC), we started looking at single family homes instead. Better value for the money!

Old 01-17-2008, 10:58 AM

Thanks rubschy! Unfortunately a house might be too much for me since I will be living alone and probably don't have the income to afford a house in a decent are of bergen county. As for the maintenance fee's, $3,000/yr would be conservative.. The two bedroom condo's I've seen recently have $600-700/mo in maintenance ($7k+/yr).

Old 10-02-2014, 05:38 PM

26 posts, read 148,718 times
Default Townhouse

Condos are not for us lived in both, It does not surprise me that townhouses appreciate more in value , than condos. Lower Hoas with townhouse.

To me a townhouses are so much nicer you have the luxury of having your cars parked close by and no one accidently scrapes your car with there zipper because they were dropping stuff into the recycle bin, and lost there footing on the way to the bin. Having a car close by is convenient and less time consuming, you simply get into the car with your stuff and go In a condo when leaving you first stand and think "Am I forgetting anything.?" Then you haul everything down the hall then into an elevator, then you maneuver your way to the car, many times it is a balancing act you started earlier when you closed and locked your condo door! The hauling thing, may not be big deal at first, but it can grow to be a big deal . So for me having your own garage is the way to go. Townhouse feel more like a house, plus if you forget something in the car or the town house
it is faster and easy to retrieve.

Another plus, in owning towhouse is not having to deal with noise from the upstairs neighbors. Also you get the luxury of a yard, you can have a small garden or summer barbecue. If you have children it is nice plus for them to play in the yard, as oppose to taking them to the park.

In my experience, in a condo as you walkdown the hallway you can smell the fumes in the hallway of what other people are cooking, or strong pet odors, chemicals smells from the cleaning crew, and all the other perfumey smells. And, if condo building are using that new concept of scented air , that stuff is toxic. Who wants to breathe it in? Did I mention that you may also hear other people conversations or arguments as pass by there door. The other piece is having to make small talk on the elevator, even if your sick as a dog or just had surgery. I think condo living is great, if this stuff does not bother you and I'm sure some people had wonderful experiences

Old 10-03-2014, 06:59 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,081 times
I have a condo.... and a townhouse would be my choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey