Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 08:25 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
Obviously you have never lived in Bayonne or Harrison

Actually, I lived in Bayonne for 18 years, and continued to visit weekly for many years after moving away.
Additionally, my SO had relatives in Harrison, so I spent considerable time in that town also.

And, the hellholes of Newport and Covington aside, the rural areas of Kentucky are marked by the highest rate of teen Methamphetamine use in the entire country, and the abuse of Opioids (like Oxycontin) in Kentucky is among the worst in The US.
The very high incidence of drug abuse in Kentucky has most definitely had a negative impact on the quality of life and the crime rate in that state.

http://surfky.com/index.php/componen...se-in-kentucky

http://www.kentucky.com/2011/03/13/1...ppalachia.html

Somehow, I don't think that a girl from Kentucky would be too shocked or dismayed by Bayonne or Harrison, after what she may have observed in her home state.

Last edited by Retriever; 03-25-2015 at 08:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 05:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,302 times
I did spend sometime living in Miami; therefore, I have some experience living in a big city. I, however, am worried about having to adjust to a 900 sq ft apartment for $775 to something half that size for twice as much.

I anticipate being on campus 2-3 times a week, which means a longer commute wouldnt be botbersome. I would prefer not having to drive, so a walkable/public transit city is ideal.

I really appreciate all of your input please add more as you think up ideas.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:25 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,397,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookatmeyc View Post
I did spend sometime living in Miami; therefore, I have some experience living in a big city. I, however, am worried about having to adjust to a 900 sq ft apartment for $775 to something half that size for twice as much.

I anticipate being on campus 2-3 times a week, which means a longer commute wouldnt be botbersome. I would prefer not having to drive, so a walkable/public transit city is ideal.

I really appreciate all of your input please add more as you think up ideas.
I did a 1 year full-time graduate program at NYU and I commuted from NJ. I was in Metuchen, only because I already owned a house there prior to starting the program. I'll just say it- being a commuter stunk.

I was not plugged into the social scene at all- when all my friends went out, I'd have to leave by midnight or else I wouldn't be able to get home that night. Also, study groups formed and I found myself unable to participate regularly. If I could do it all over again, I would have sold the house and lived in the dorms- it just gave such a better experience. I ended up moving to Manhattan after the program anyway (I knew that beforehand, though).

If you're only going to be there 2-3 days a week, you might not want to live on campus, but I highly recommend living as close as possible to the school. Commuting is fine- you can study on the train, but it will be lonelier than living there.

Old 04-09-2015, 04:38 PM

478 posts, read 1,229,530 times
There are some nice new buildings right next to Path in Harrison. Puts you out on 6th ave and 9th.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:06 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Bayonne makes no sense, the commute's terrible and there's no real space. Harrison's got an OK commute but it's still urban. There's really no good place with space and a decent commute to NYU.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:50 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookatmeyc View Post
Greetings,
I was recently admitted into NYU for grad school and I have started the daunting task of apartment hunting. As a southern girl (although born in nj, I was raised in NC and currently live in KY) I think living in nj would give me the space I am use to. I am, however, wondering if the cost benefit makes the commute to nyu worth it. Also, are there any suggestions for areas that feature a not too distant commute. It seems that neighborhoods near the PATH are VERY expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am doing this search from afar and will complie a list and head up very soon.

I have an employee who attends Columbia. He was commuting in for classes 3x a week but found himself also going in on his "off days" to use the library/study more often than he anticipated.

He just rented an apt near the college b/c what he was paying in rent (in NJ) plus the cost to commute wasn't saving him any significant amount of $$. He does have roommates - his own bedroom, but roommates.

Good Luck!

Old 05-28-2015, 05:57 PM

115 posts, read 146,158 times
Default Harrison

I would definitely consider Harrison. For those who may not think that Harrison is worthy of consideration... there is SIGNIFICANT development going on in Harrison (you can read the town's development plan). In the next 3-5 years, Harrison plans to greatly increase its population. It's FAR safer than Jersey City or Hoboken (although that could change). However, I live in a new building in Harrison, taking the Path I am in NYC in about 18 minutes. I can walk to the Path Station. There are Red Bulls games that are exciting. There are stores (and small eateries) constantly popping up. When you look on Trulia at the crime map, the entire part of Harrison is green (indicating safe). I cam come home at 2 am or 6 am, and walk to my apt and feel completely safe. There is a BEAUTIFUL park in Harrison that is about a 20-minute walk away. No, Harrison is not as "cosmopolitan" as some of the other cities around (yet); however, I see TREMENDOUS potential in Harrison (and, this is from someone who moved here less than a year ago... from Chicago).

I feel like I am a Harrison advocate... but, I can honestly say... with the proximity that I am to University City in Newark... the Ironbound in Newark... and TriBeCa in NYC.... I honestly think that Harrison is perfect location-wise. I am within minutes of so many things.... AND, I get into lower Manhattan quicker than many of my friends who live in Brooklyn!

You have to remember... Harrison is just over one-square mile in size... so, it's a small little area.... but, a great diamond in the rough (and, when Whole Foods is done in Newark in about a year and a half... you will be within walking distance... 20-25 minutes to Whole Foods...... being able to walk to military park (~15-20 minutes is also a plus).

Old 05-28-2015, 10:25 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
definitely look at harrison or Kearney unless you want to be into the nyu social scene.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:44 PM

116 posts, read 218,842 times
Why Nj?

I would look around Forest Hills, Queens, NY.

You can take LIRR (about 15 minutes) or subway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey