Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2015, 01:15 PM

13 posts, read 20,353 times

Advertisements

Any info please!!! I recently moved to Bergen County and just the other day received tickets from Jersey City NJ saying this happened last week. Problem is I was not there on the day these were supposedly given or for that matter have not been to JC since 1992?! They are for expired registration & no insurance. The car is sitting in the (private) driveway of mine since January, and I did not re-register it due to it is not starting & I am selling it. Could it be a miss read of the license plate? I called the court and the date on the ticket for court is NOT the date to appear, it is over 30 days away. I just dont get it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 01:24 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
You'll literally have to tell it to the judge. It's up to you to prove that you haven't moved it since then and weren't there at the time driving around. But there's very little anyone around here can actually help you with on this.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:58 PM

19,113 posts, read 25,309,475 times
I hate to play Captain Obvious, but...here goes...
Has the OP verified that the license plates are still on her car?
If somebody stole those plates and put them on another car, that could certainly explain the situation.

The ticket must show the make, model, and color of the car that was ticketed.
Does the description on the ticket match her non-functioning car?
If it doesn't match, that is the easiest "out" for her.

If the description does match, she may have a difficult time explaining the...coincidence.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:15 PM

23,530 posts, read 17,208,400 times
A while back Newark was great for doing that. Sent a parking ticket for a vette I had previously sold. Aside from never ever under any circumstances would I park my vette in Newark, I sent them some documentation to prove they made a mistake and did not need to go to court.

Some of these towns discover a pattern of errors and correct them at their leisure, hoping to collect your money and erase it from your memory before the news breaks of mass incorrect tickets being issued.

Munis are the worst sponges of taxpayer money than even the state, though the feds have eveyone beat by a mile.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:33 PM

414 posts, read 296,280 times
Yeah, be careful that they have some prof and the details match. I had a few issues over the years. One was where I received a parking ticket at the beach. I glanced at the ticket and got ready to pay it before I noticed the wrong plate number. Turns out someone with the same color car dropped their ticket on my window. I was so close to sending in a check too. Most recently, I got a collection notice that claimed I beat the EZ Pass toll on the Delaware bridge. Since I had never even been to Delaware, I called to ask for proof. They promised to mail me the picture of the car blowing through the toll booth. Never heard from them again. Fishing for donations.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:59 AM

228 posts, read 1,204,479 times
This happened to my mother. She got a parking ticket sent to her from Philly. Her car had never been anywhere near Philly. Stupid meter maid read the license plate wrong. Unfortunately, the cost to take a day off work and drive to court to fight it outweighed the cost of the ticket. So, she was penalized for having done nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey