Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 02:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,674 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I imagine my post may end up being quite generic with information frequently dispensed on the forum. I took a look at the other current Newark thread and it was not what I'm looking for. I apologize if the information I request is otherwise readily available.

I see that there are studio apartments in East Orange and Newark around $700 - $900. $700 sounds fantastic to me - I'm a medical student in Newark paying rent with student loans.

I'm seeing these apartments on apartmentguide.com - a random website that popped up when I googled studios in Newark.

My questions: does "$700 studio in East Orange" have you shouting "don't do it! don't do it!". My main fear, being an inexperienced renter, is getting ripped off and finding out that there are rats, bugs, or faulty heating/plumbing etc. ....or if $700 puts me in a really really low income place, illicit activity in the premises or lack of safety just walking in and out of the building.

Advice for a first time renter looking at places in not very good cities? Any specific or general advice is greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 03:05 PM

625 posts, read 797,339 times
For $700 I highly doubt you are getting anything decent and it's probably in a sketchy area, too.

Go up to the $1,000 range and get a place you can be comfortable living in.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:07 PM

472 posts, read 812,505 times
You're not going to want to buy in Newark or East Orange due to safety issues. Your budget is pretty low and I'm not exactly sure where else you should look.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:18 PM

625 posts, read 797,339 times
You'll be fine in the Ironbound section. You can find units at $1000.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:21 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times
No to East Orange. Yes to some parts of Newark.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:31 PM

538 posts, read 733,404 times
People here will generally scream 'Don't do it!' to anything within Newark or East Orange's borders.

The reality is a little muddier, people will generally say that Forest Hill, the Ironbound and Ivy Hill are the better neighborhoods in Newark - but what is a good and safe place to live is best dealt with on a street by street/building by building basis. There's certainly some risk at that price point.

I live close to Ivy Hill in South Orange, and it's definitely an area where people don't make as much as they do in SO. And for what it's worth, when there is an article about a murder there, the article usually mentions about stuff like that not being normal in that area of Newark. Property related crime seems to be the most likely thing to run into, and that spills over into South Orange and Maplewood as well.

I know less about East Orange, but I'm under the impression some of the buildings in the area that borders South Orange aren't too bad. For what it's worth, there do seem to be some studios in South Orange around the $900 price point. It might be worth looking at those.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,674 times
Thanks to all for the preliminary responses. I lived one year on campus outside university hospital in the University Heights section of Newark. There were probably 2, 3 murders within 10 blocks over the course of the year - but the greatest predictor of being involved with violence in Newark is being a criminal. There was no issue walking around the neighborhood, just panhandlers (and that does not bother me). Just have to stay smart and vigilant. And I'll be in the hospital all day anyway - just looking for a place to come home to + not get burglarized.

My concerns are not ending up in a crack den (to be blunt) and not knowing how to take the right steps to ensure a building is not one of those you end up hearing about on the news with no heating or scabies or rats, etc etc.

As can be seen from this screenshot from "gardentstateapartments.com", there seem to be a lot of studios in the range of 700.

If you were in my situation, how would you approach finding out if an apartment is not a ripoff with a bad history? How would you approach being shown the apartment? What questions should I ask?

As a first time (on my own) renter, I greatly appreciate any tips that could help me make sure I'm not getting into a bad deal

Old 03-25-2015, 03:43 PM

538 posts, read 733,404 times
As far as the things you mentioned, heating/rats - regardless of location you can really only get senses for that by knowing people that live in those buildings. Sometimes you can see reviews of buildings online, but there's often too few to be meaningful. General upkeep of the building is going to be your best guide.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:52 PM

155 posts, read 303,464 times
Can you get a roommate?

Just go and see the apartment, look at the common areas, look at the people coming and going, hang out in the parking lot for a bit. Once you see these places in person you will get a better feel for them.

I'd see if I could find anything cheap in Maplewood, South Orange, West Orange, Hillside, Roselle first before the towns you mentioned. Here's a pretty cheap studio in South Orange: 56 Prospect Street Apartments - South Orange, NJ 07079 | Apartments for Rent

Old 03-26-2015, 06:10 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,487 times
I would consider getting a roommate. but otherwise if you are comfortable with the area, i wont say its cut and dry that you shouldnt live there. There are decent options in both places.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey