Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2008, 12:46 PM

792 posts, read 3,137,522 times

Advertisements

Is it true (or not true), I don't mean to stoke any coals, that recent minority immigrants can immediately get welfare, section 8, affirmative action preferences, food stamps, healthcare, etc upon arrival? Is this partially or totally true? Just curious do not mean to offend anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 12:55 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
Is it true (or not true), I don't mean to stoke any coals, that recent minority immigrants can immediately get welfare, section 8, affirmative action preferences, food stamps, healthcare, etc upon arrival? Is this partially or totally true? Just curious do not mean to offend anyone.
Of course they do and they can.

The largest abuse of this is illegal aliens. They can get the above mentioned benefits via their "anchor baby". Due to the disgusting abuse and misuse of the 14th amendment-once the baby is born they are entitled to all the freebies paid for by US taxpayers.

To take it a step further-immigrants-legal or othewise who never paid a dime into social security-can come here after their 65th birthday and receive a monthly social security check under the Supplemental Security Income program. Some of them even then return to their native country while receiving a monthly check.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:57 PM

93 posts, read 309,350 times
This article about Section 8 is pretty eye opening.

American Murder Mystery

Old 08-03-2008, 01:01 PM

6 posts, read 14,811 times
Whoa, I did not know all of that. You mean to tell me I'm paying my hard earn taxes and so forth to people that can qualify for Social Security who are not working? WTF???? Now see this is the sh*t that pisses me off. Yes I do receive section 8 mind you I work and pay my taxes, social security and I'm still struggling. This does not make any kind of sense and it's so unfair for those who work really hard to make ends meet!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Of course they do and they can.

The largest abuse of this is illegal aliens. They can get the above mentioned benefits via their "anchor baby". Due to the disgusting abuse and misuse of the 14th amendment-once the baby is born they are entitled to all the freebies paid for by US taxpayers.

To take it a step further-immigrants-legal or othewise who never paid a dime into social security-can come here after their 65th birthday and receive a monthly social security check under the Supplemental Security Income program. Some of them even then return to their native country while receiving a monthly check.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:05 PM

792 posts, read 3,137,522 times
Quote:
Then why doesn't our gov't ammend the present 14th amendment to stop the abuse? Are they afraid of the "media at large"? Other?

Quote:
Then why doesn't our gov't "slap controls in place" to stop the SSI fraud/abuse? Are they afraid of the "media at large"? Other?

Old 08-03-2008, 01:13 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
Then why doesn't our gov't ammend the present 14th amendment to stop the abuse? Are they afraid of the "media at large"? Other?

Then why doesn't our gov't "slap controls in place" to stop the SSI fraud/abuse? Are they afraid of the "media at large"? Other?
Well let's see-special interest groups, lobbyists, votes from groups who rely on generations of welfare, politicians putting everyone-even those from other countries- in front of hard working middle class Americans. Special interest groups have millions of dollars to lobby etc. Most of your average Americans either don't care, or are too busy working to pay taxes for all these programs to get involved. Special interest groups have the ear of politicians. While some people do write, call and fax their politicians about this crap- sadly not enough do.

I believe Ron Paul and others in house/senate had tried to introduce legislation regarding the abuse of the 14th amendment but at last check it had not advanced. Nancy and Harry really aren't letting any bill that is good for Americans advance these days.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:32 PM

141 posts, read 383,121 times
The function of the social security system is not to reward individual people, but to stabilize communities and the country as a whole. The only people who qualify for a lot of these benefits you all are talking about are the poorest of the poor, and by supplementing their incomes or even providing an income for those who cannot work, this forestalls dangerous social and economic instability by creating an economic 'safety net.'

Certainly, the system can be, and is, abused, but the big picture is that its existence benefits everyone in society. It's sort of like the idea of 'preventative medicine' on a social level--you save costs by taking measures to prevent situations from becoming completely dire. By helping people meet their basic needs, when fully implemented, social security and welfare can reduce health care costs, crime, violence, and other social ills. But very few people think about it in this way, instead seeing the system in terms of treats and rewards, which makes people see something that benefits them indirectly as something that only benefits others.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:13 AM

177 posts, read 700,597 times
Section 8 is a terrible thing. I am middle class and busting my behind to make ends meet and being taxed to death while scumbags sit at home and collect a check that they did not do anything to earn. I would love for Section 8 to go away and all the scumbags should get be forced to work and stop having lots of kids if they can't afford them.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:11 AM

148 posts, read 639,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Capo* View Post
Section 8 is a terrible thing. I am middle class and busting my behind to make ends meet and being taxed to death while scumbags sit at home and collect a check that they did not do anything to earn. I would love for Section 8 to go away and all the scumbags should get be forced to work and stop having lots of kids if they can't afford them.
Wow those are strong words...scumbags? I know two people that have section 8. One is a single mother who lived on her own and graduated from Seton Hall with a degree in Psych. She now works at a non profit and newark. the only way she got into a decent town (west orange) is through the aide of section 8. shes no where near being a scumbag. The other girl is one i would say who abuses it...single mom who works pt and collects section 8 but not really doing much to advance her situation...Section 8 is like most things that help the disadvantaged...in helping those that need it you also give help to those who will just abuse it

Old 08-04-2008, 11:12 AM

42 posts, read 175,292 times
My wife's grandmother used to live three houses down from us and when she passed away section 8 moved in and destroyed what was a nice home in about a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey