Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 06:40 PM

177 posts, read 700,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight114 View Post
Wow those are strong words...scumbags? I know two people that have section 8. One is a single mother who lived on her own and graduated from Seton Hall with a degree in Psych. She now works at a non profit and newark. the only way she got into a decent town (west orange) is through the aide of section 8. shes no where near being a scumbag. The other girl is one i would say who abuses it...single mom who works pt and collects section 8 but not really doing much to advance her situation...Section 8 is like most things that help the disadvantaged...in helping those that need it you also give help to those who will just abuse it

Like I said, the ones who sit at home milking our tax money and doing nothing to contribute to society = scumbags. I don't have any sympathy for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 11:04 PM

48 posts, read 161,807 times
Wow if a person needs the help give them assistance however it should be connected to some kind of work/ education,,,maybe not what about the katrina victims hmmm hey we pay for wars why not the poor or homeless... Let them live section 8 is good

Old 08-09-2008, 09:31 PM

625 posts, read 3,634,990 times
I believe someone on this board said they applied for Section 8 in 1992 and they finally were approved to get on it 2 years ago. My problem with that is, in 10+ years you did not get ahead enough to the point where you no longer need Section 8??? Plenty of people struggle to pay their bills and feed their children without the handout of Section 8 (which is for life believe it or not) or food stamps. If you are a single person who works full-time but need a little assistance to get you through the month you can only receive $10 or a little more per month. I know two people who this has happened to and they declined the "help". They received that much because they didn't have any children and this government actually believes that a child automatically renders you poor and in need of assistance. I see so many people abuse the system it's a shame. We are not talking about women with one child, we are talking about women with two, three, four, and eight, with no husband in sight unless you count the boyfriend who comes around the beginning of the month for the food and welfare check. I know another deadbeat with 8 kids and she says and I quote "I don't have to work" she has custody of one who is 4 and just got the oldest one back because the family no longer wanted her because she is so wild, needless to say neither children respect their mother. How is it fair that a person who works full-time and earns good money because they actually received a quality education BEFORE they decided to have children,can't afford to live in a "good" area, but a person who has children and receives section 8 gets to live in that "good" area for not even a fraction of the cost?. Welfare receipients get lump sums of money during tax season and they are the first to start crying broke when it runs out. I also know a few who have gotten that kind of money and I can tell you they buy the most expensive cell phone, new furniture in a filthy apartment because apparently they need new furniture every year, ridiculously high name brand clothes, and who knows where the other few grand go. Most people don't get back $6k but they do because they have children. They get financial aid which they don't take advantage of because it means they would actually have to get up and go to class and do actual WORK. I really think this government rewards deadbeats. I further believe that theory everytime the beginning of the month rolls around and I see women with full carts of food (and practically none of the sale items in the cart), loaded with prime cut meats, junk, and more junk only to see her then have to put back 1/3 of the food because she didn't pay attention to prices.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:55 PM

137 posts, read 385,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
I believe someone on this board said they applied for Section 8 in 1992 and they finally were approved to get on it 2 years ago. My problem with that is, in 10+ years you did not get ahead enough to the point where you no longer need Section 8??? Plenty of people struggle to pay their bills and feed their children without the handout of Section 8 (which is for life believe it or not) or food stamps. If you are a single person who works full-time but need a little assistance to get you through the month you can only receive $10 or a little more per month. I know two people who this has happened to and they declined the "help". They received that much because they didn't have any children and this government actually believes that a child automatically renders you poor and in need of assistance. I see so many people abuse the system it's a shame. We are not talking about women with one child, we are talking about women with two, three, four, and eight, with no husband in sight unless you count the boyfriend who comes around the beginning of the month for the food and welfare check. I know another deadbeat with 8 kids and she says and I quote "I don't have to work" she has custody of one who is 4 and just got the oldest one back because the family no longer wanted her because she is so wild, needless to say neither children respect their mother. How is it fair that a person who works full-time and earns good money because they actually received a quality education BEFORE they decided to have children,can't afford to live in a "good" area, but a person who has children and receives section 8 gets to live in that "good" area for not even a fraction of the cost?. Welfare receipients get lump sums of money during tax season and they are the first to start crying broke when it runs out. I also know a few who have gotten that kind of money and I can tell you they buy the most expensive cell phone, new furniture in a filthy apartment because apparently they need new furniture every year, ridiculously high name brand clothes, and who knows where the other few grand go. Most people don't get back $6k but they do because they have children. They get financial aid which they don't take advantage of because it means they would actually have to get up and go to class and do actual WORK. I really think this government rewards deadbeats. I further believe that theory everytime the beginning of the month rolls around and I see women with full carts of food (and practically none of the sale items in the cart), loaded with prime cut meats, junk, and more junk only to see her then have to put back 1/3 of the food because she didn't pay attention to prices.
Well you are right. I just moved to Newark from NY. I am planning on transferring my section 8 over here. All places/HOUSING in Newark take it. I moved to the North (only ward I would even think of living in nwk and it's not that gr8 here either) area in a tall apartment building on the 14th floor ...(AND NO IT'S NOT THE PROJECTS). I have a FT job with the cable company downtown. Why not keep what was passed on to my from my mother when she passed on?
If you have section 8 and live in NYC, don't EVER count on getting a nice apartment. All the places that take section 8 there are in th str8 GHETTO. And you'll get a run down box of an apartment.
EVEN IN THE GHETTO AREAS, A LOT OF PLACES DON'T TAKE SECTION 8 IN BROOKLYN OR IN MOST PARTS OF THE CITY, because you have the white people coming from all over the suburbs of the USA looking to get away from those high rents, AND THEY WILL GLADLY PAY $1000-1200 a month for a dump in Crown Heights Brooklyn (where I came from), where the landlord never repairs anything, because the only thing the money grubber is after is the damn MONEY! And because our pale complected friend are known not to complain about anything, just sit there and take it . That's why Mr. Rabinowitz can charge what he wants to our new found neighbors and leave our Section 8 tenats in filth and broken down buildings.
I was just reading my weekend delivered edition of the ny times and they had a story on how good people on the west coast get it with Section 8. Much more luxurious then we could ever think! Full houses for like $2,200 a month.
So, all you europeans just hating on it, go back to California and rant and rave there and see who pays attention.
Of course the white people think it's bad. They are the ones with all the big time jobs and money. Never knew what it was like to starve or go without water or lights. So If I have it, i'm going to use it.
I am not a gangbanger, I am 30 , live alone, grew up in the hood and just moved to the worst hood ever from another bad hood. I don't have a job working for the gotti family, or bust knee caps or live like Victoria and the boys, but my life is full of smiles, and accomplishments. No one, white or pale can take that from me.
I don't advocate violence, but if the SECTION 8 program (THERE ARE MANY TYPES OF SECTION 8)works for you, than it works for you. Have a FT job? good.
Being on Section 8, should not dictate the kind of person you are. People are lazy before they get on any program. I wish I could apply for Food Stamps, because I need it.
I moved into a damn studio for $850 a month over here in newark. 30% of that on section 8, would save me a lot of money, so I can get my place decked out...lol I'm serious. I don't make a lot of money after taxes, so I decided I would apply for exemption status until the end of the period.

Guess how much my neighbor back in Brooklyn in my old bldg pays for her section 8 studio? $150... and the rent for the apartment is: $1000

Who knows how all of this will work out, but I say if you have Section 8, pay your damn rent and keep ya ***** from being terminated. I know the people in the ghetto with no jobs and 3 kids in the life, won't be able to read this, because most are illiterate, but if you know some, encourage em. once it's gone, they'll be stinkin and smellin on the streets of Newark and you already know how bad the streets downtown already smell!

JE

Last edited by Gemini365i; 08-10-2008 at 02:12 PM..

Old 08-10-2008, 05:48 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,464,653 times
I recently spent some time in the loony bin against my own will, and there were a good number of sane individuals in there just for the sake of building their resumes to abuse social programs...

Old 08-21-2008, 09:42 AM

6 posts, read 14,810 times
That was me. If you read it correctly then I don't think you would of said what said about my comment. Yes, I do receive Working Section 8 and yes it has been over 10 years since I applied for it. For you to say I did not get ahead, Ummm think again!? I did get ahead and I'm paying several hundred dollars for my portion of the rent. Where as other people only pay no more than $200 a month for rent, so don't come in here discrimating the person situation if you don't know the deal! Yes, I agree that there are folks out there abusing the system and yes it makes me angry, because I have it and I'm paying. I'm a single mother working full-time to make ends meet. Then we have people losing their jobs, homes and so forth, so things right now are hard. So before anyone passes judgement on someone just watch what you say!!!

I hope I don't offend anyone with this? Now look at all the Jewish people that have all those kids, plus they have businesses! How about that? They use and abuse the system heavy and don't care. Their wives walk around with diamond wedding rings and I'm not talking about no little rock either. They walking around with Section 8 with no problem, it's crazy how they maneuver the system.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 4,822 times
we just recently got accepted for section 8. i have 4 daughters (3 in school), my wife works full time i work part time, and we both are in school. I haven't found a place yet that accepts section 8.

when we moved to this town, we had to apply for gov't assistance since we weren't working and were only students, trying to survive. we were on gov't assistance for 9 months, then my wife finally got her job. at that time we applied for sect. 8. the lady at the office said you can qualify if your income is at a certain bracket. and the rent you pay is based on your income.

reading all these posts, i believe there are many ignorant people and hiprocrits. this is my last year of school, and were hoping that section 8 will help us through our tough times.

people that complain here are people that maybe are in the mid - upper class. why hate when the poor are becoming poorer while the rich become richer. Instead of pushing and shoving your way to the top, why don't you give the poor people a chance to move up to a better status of living?

The landlord that refuses section 8 are lazy landlords. Section 8 requires a near-perfect home with working stoves etc. etc.. Not all section 8 recipients are bad tenants.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:02 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times
Section 8 - I dont think anyone likes that...Landlords hate renting to section 8's..Neighbors dont want Section 8's near them. People who are applying for section 8 are not the most desirable citizens..

Old 08-26-2008, 11:28 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsvtec View Post
Not all section 8 recipients are bad tenants.
No, just the overwhelming majority.

Exceptions do *not* make the rule.

Years on government assistance, to me, is absolutely milking the system. Tough times? Why did you make the choice to have children when you couldn't afford them?

I'm sorry, I can't feel bad for people who make incredibly life changing decisions and then expect government support.

Losing a job after you've had kids, and need some help for a few months, maybe a year? Absolutely, thats fine 100%. In fact, thats what these programs are for. Have kids and then look for a job?

F'ing ridiculous. You will *not* make me feel bad for you for that one.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:35 AM

730 posts, read 2,887,248 times
This is EXACTLY how I feel. How do people who can't afford to pay their own rent go and have FOUR children? Comeon people. That is completely irresponsible in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey