Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2008, 12:04 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,459,376 times

Advertisements

FYI, the stereotypes you are perpetuating are really offensive to me and I'm not even someone who would vaguely qualify for any of these programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl-973-908-732 View Post
Well said. I mean, section 8 doesn't benefit you at all unless you make under a certain amount - and then because your income is so low what are your options for survival? Move the girlfriend, boyfriend, and the whole "crew" in so that you can afford the plasma and HDTV that you otherwise would not be able to.

Oh wait, now that you qualify for section 8, you probably qualify for childcare assistance, utility assistance, and if you're lucky enough you may qualify for foodstamps, and the 1 dollar a day car insurance that medicaid offers.

WHY WOULD ANYBODY WANT TO GET OFF SECTION 8???? They're basically paying you to stay on. If you lose your job, your rent goes down. What a world!!!

Did you read ("jehovahgirl's) post..... if she makes 30thousand a year which is all of $14.00 she'll get a home in section 8 with her 2 kids and phlebotomy certificate.

I shouldn't have to pay for somebody else's bad choices. The system sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 12:14 PM

253 posts, read 1,265,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
FYI, the stereotypes you are perpetuating are really offensive to me
Oh well. How long have u been on section 8? Like I said, I shouldn't have to pay for somebody else's bad choices over and over again. I see it all the time. This is my opinion and just because I am frank about paraphrasiing what so many have already written, you don't have to cry.

My money ran out. My man left me. Unemployment ran out. My wife divorced me. Housing is too expensive. And that may be all well and true, but at the end of the day, INGdirect, HSBCDirect, and Suze Orman are only a click away - section 8 or not.--------and I said if you're "lucky" if you qualify for one, you qualify for them all. If you don't, then so be it.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:19 PM
b75

Did you read the full sentence I wrote? I have NEVER, EVER vaguely come close to qualifying for Section 8. I have enough knowledge on the subject (maybe because I am actually educated) though to find the type of stereotypes that you are perpetuating to be personally offensive. And I find it unusual that someone who would come close to posting their phone number on line would be lecturing anyone about anything.

Quote:
Oh well. How long have u been on section 8? Like I said, I shouldn't have to pay for somebody else's bad choices over and over again. I see it all the time. This is my opinion and just because I am frank about paraphrasiing what so many have already written, you don't have to cry.

My money ran out. My man left me. Unemployment ran out. My wife divorced me. Housing is too expensive. And that may be all well and true, but at the end of the day, INGdirect, HSBCDirect, and Suze Orman are only a click away - section 8 or not.--------and I said if you're "lucky" if you qualify for one, you qualify for them all. If you don't, then so be it.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:31 PM

253 posts, read 1,265,294 times
Statistics cited by NJCC and the Anti-Poverty Network of New Jersey illustrate the harsh reality faced by the state's less-fortunate citizens. Using federal guidelines, the statewide poverty rate three years ago was a staggering 8.7 percent. That translates into 738,969 residents living below the poverty line. Using the true cost of living in New Jersey, the groups point out, would make that total "significantly higher."

Most devastating of all, however, is that children are disproportionately impacted by poverty with nearly 12 percent or 251,999 New Jersey children living in poverty. Senior citizens don't fare well either, with 8.5 percent in poverty. Such conditions are no way to begin a life and certainly not a way someone should have to live during the "golden years." The Catholic Advocate 3-6-2008. (c) 2008 US NewsWire njha.com

All for helping the less fortunate. But you have the "less fortunate" and then you have the "less fortunate".

973 is an area code
908 is an area code
732 is an area code
lol. Education.com | An Education & Child Development Site for Parents | Parenting & Educational Resource

Old 03-06-2008, 12:51 PM
b75

Yes it is bad out there - not sure how that makes your stereotypes about people living in Section 8 housing any more valid or less offensive.

Good for you, you didn't post your phone number on-line. I stand corrected; you got me there.

Quote:
Statistics cited by NJCC and the Anti-Poverty Network of New Jersey illustrate the harsh reality faced by the state's less-fortunate citizens. Using federal guidelines, the statewide poverty rate three years ago was a staggering 8.7 percent. That translates into 738,969 residents living below the poverty line. Using the true cost of living in New Jersey, the groups point out, would make that total "significantly higher."

Most devastating of all, however, is that children are disproportionately impacted by poverty with nearly 12 percent or 251,999 New Jersey children living in poverty. Senior citizens don't fare well either, with 8.5 percent in poverty. Such conditions are no way to begin a life and certainly not a way someone should have to live during the "golden years." The Catholic Advocate 3-6-2008. (c) 2008 US NewsWire njha.com

All for helping the less fortunate. But you have the "less fortunate" and then you have the "less fortunate".

973 is an area code
908 is an area code
732 is an area code
lol. Education.com | An Education & Child Development Site for Parents | Parenting & Educational Resource

Old 03-06-2008, 01:31 PM

370 posts, read 1,367,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam27 View Post
Section 8 Success story right here! When I was 19 (with a 4 year old son) my cousin called me early in the morning telling me that there was a "Section 8 Line" that we would have stand in for hours, in order to sign up for Section 8. Needless to say...I wasn't very interested. She practically drug me out of bed to go. And it turns out that that was one of the best things I've done to better my life.

I was able to remove myself and my son from "The Hood", and a very negative environment; to a more positive one. I remember my rent being just $12!! But at the same time, I was in college and not working much. Section 8 allowed me to be able to focus on school and get good grades, instead of having to work full time in order to pay full rent. I really think that if I wouldn't have had Section 8, I would have not finished college because of the negative environment that my son and I were in. I would have just worked my behind off to get us a better place to live, and probably would have never had time for school.

I graduated from Temple U when I was 25 and now...2 years later, I have a great job with a great salary, and I'm about to close on my first condo!! I'll be saying bye bye to Section 8 on February 25th when I close. So all in all, I think that Section 8 is a good thing for those who plan to use it to better their lives. BUT, I'd say about 85% of the people who are on Section 8 are not using it for that reason. I have friends and know people from "The Hood" that are having babies and purposely loosing their jobs just so that their rent will be lower. That's not right. I think there should be a 5 year limit on Section 8. I mean, I did it in 5 years...so it's definitely possible.

Congrats to you Tam on really making the most of the opportunity you had.
It is very sad though because most people do not succeed as you have. They take advantage and try to suck the most out of the help they are getting.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:36 PM
b75

What proof do you have that most people take advantage of the help? I mean besides the stereotypes, what substantive proof do you have that most of these people are on these programs are taking advantage of the system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl08 View Post
Congrats to you Tam on really making the most of the opportunity you had.
It is very sad though because most people do not succeed as you have. They take advantage and try to suck the most out of the help they are getting.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
What proof do you have that most people take advantage of the help? I mean besides the stereotypes, what substantive proof do you have that most of these people are on these programs are taking advantage of the system?
I don't have facts and figures in front of me so i can't give actual percentages of those who are in these programs and do not better themselves nor do they even attempt to do better for themselves to get out of the program. Try going to the areas where there is a higher percentage of Section 8 or trying have rental properties with section 8 and you will see what I am talking about. I did not say all, and maybe it isn't most of all people but IT IS most of ALL PEOPLE I HAVE SEEN PERSONALLY.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
one of my old tenants actually applied for section 8 and was approved, he has 2 kids with his ex-wife and 4 kids with his current.. he said he'll never thought of using section 8 or welfare.. but he had no choice and that he'll only do it for 6 months to get back on his feet.. so 4 years later he came to me and said that he was upset b/c apparently the social worker had messed up his paper work and checks were late.. his attitude was so disguisting to me.. he felt that the Government owed this to him, his exact words were "they have to give me the assistance, or else who will", not to mentioned that he was doing sales and bouncer work which paid him in cash!!.. they were living in a 1500. dollar apt, drove a new luxury SUV, and constantly ate out..

my thoughts were how can you have so many kids if you cannot support them, how can you expect the govt to paid for your rent and utilities, if you have no money how can you drive a luxury vehicle and eat out constantly.. they don't even think about saving the money.. but just live of the govt..

my MAJOR question is.. How come the social workers don't look deeper and only give it to people who really need the assistance.. visit the people at least once before throwing money at them.. study each case individually.. but then again this means that someone would have to do their homework.. lol..

many of this people receivin section 8 live in better conditions than those who work hard for their money..

oh well.. just my 2 cents..
We had one tenant who used to give us a problem with her part of the payment for the rent but she never missed her weekly nail appointment or a hair appointment. The day Showed up with a high end purse and told me she bought herself these beautiful new shoes on sale, I thought I might flip out!

Old 03-06-2008, 02:24 PM
b75

Even if people are on it a long time that does not prove that MOST people are taking advantage of the system. All that shows is that poverty is a viscous cycle in this country and some could even argue that more money needs to be invested to help them rise above their situation. Point being it doesn't prove that MOST people are taking advantage of the system and such stereotypes could be considered very offensive. And if those are the types of people you surround yourself with, I guess that could color your perception of the world. My point is that a bit more sensitivity could be considered when making these types of generalizations for the whole world to see, especially when there is no proof that MOST of these people are just a bunch of users and abusers of the system. That is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl08 View Post
I don't have facts and figures in front of me so i can't give actual percentages of those who are in these programs and do not better themselves nor do they even attempt to do better for themselves to get out of the program. Try going to the areas where there is a higher percentage of Section 8 or trying have rental properties with section 8 and you will see what I am talking about. I did not say all, and maybe it isn't most of all people but IT IS most of ALL PEOPLE I HAVE SEEN PERSONALLY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey