Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 05:45 PM

3 posts, read 8,218 times

Advertisements

My cars registration has recently expired as of yesterday (April 1st), and I'm planning on it getting registered in Jersey asap. I've put off registering it for quite a while, I don't know if that's a factor. I've got a NJ license and have had it for a year now, and I'm still covered by my parents car insurance in my previous state. I also don't know if that's a negative factor. Could anyone help me out with this? I'm paranoid I may get in trouble or fined. I've been told the cost should be around 70 to register a vehicle here. Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 09:37 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
If you get caught driving the unregistered car you can be fined. It can also be towed if you park it in a public place. But you won't get a fine for registering it.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:07 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
As long as it's parked off the street no problem. You need the title for the car to register it. And I think the insurance has to be in the name of whomever the car is registered in. Oh and all the NJ MVC agencies are closed on Good Friday too.

I would not ever drive it unregistered. It would be towed and you would be paying daily storage fees until all the paperwork is done and the cops release it.
I think they are open Saturday until 12 noon.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:14 AM

3 posts, read 8,218 times
This is probably a stupid question, but how long does the registration take? Will I have to wait several months, or do I get it immediately? This is my first time registering a car on my own.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:44 AM

Registration is immediate, meaning like within 15 minutes or so it takes, often less. They give you the plates and registration handed to you while you're standing there at the counter.

The title if it's from out of state often gets mailed to you later but you don't need that to drive.

In NJ they give you a pink card you put on your dashboard which gives you 14 days to go to inspection. Inspection only checks the emissions so usually if your check engine light is not on you should pass. They just hook up their computer/scanner to the plug under your dashboard for that. if the car is new or newer you get a 5 year sticker but otherwise it costs nothing to go to the state run inspection stations.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:50 AM

Oh one word, don't mess up the title by erasing or crossing anything out. That will mess up the whole process and you would have to go back to whichever state its from and get a new duplicate title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey