Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 08:48 AM

7 posts, read 376,576 times

Advertisements

Do these lanes requiure a different transponder? or would the regular EZ pass transponder work? I never got why there was a separate EZ pass Express line and a separate 'EZ PASS ONLY' line. Are they basically the same thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 09:31 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,313,759 times
• No, EZ Pass Express lanes do not require a different transponder.
• Yes, the regular EZ Pass transponder works in the express lanes
• Yes, the express lanes and the EZ Pass Only toll-booth lanes are basically the same thing.

Why?
1) Some drivers will not drive in the left lanes, hence EZ Pass accommodations need to be made toward the right.
2) If the express reader ever broke down, (let's assume it got wiped-out in an accident,) the old toll booths could handle the EZ Pass traffic, although not without delays.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:14 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Same transponder. Only diff is the express lanes are designed so you can drive through at faster speed. No booths, etc, everything is "bounced" from overhead.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:18 AM

BTW IF you should happen to drive through an EZ Pass booth of either type and the system does not read for whatever reason, i.e. you forgot to out your transponder in the car or sometimes the internal battery inside it can go dead or it just didnt work, they first run your plate against their database and you will just see that come up on your account by license plate number. If that doesnt work you would get the "$50 Fee letter" in the mail and you can go online and take the fee off on your account.

One of my old transponders the battery went and I went for months until I saw my plates coming up all the time when i used that car. i called them and they sent me a new transponder.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:25 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nifeblade View Post
Do these lanes requiure a different transponder? or would the regular EZ pass transponder work? I never got why there was a separate EZ pass Express line and a separate 'EZ PASS ONLY' line. Are they basically the same thing?
The difference is that with one you pass through a toll booth, and with the Express, the transponder is read from the gantry over the road, so you don't have to slow down. When the roads go to all-electronic tolling, which will happen in a few years, there will no longer be toll booths.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:20 PM

7 posts, read 376,576 times
Does that mean I will pay the penalty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
BTW IF you should happen to drive through an EZ Pass booth of either type and the system does not read for whatever reason, i.e. you forgot to out your transponder in the car or sometimes the internal battery inside it can go dead or it just didnt work, they first run your plate against their database and you will just see that come up on your account by license plate number. If that doesnt work you would get the "$50 Fee letter" in the mail and you can go online and take the fee off on your account.

One of my old transponders the battery went and I went for months until I saw my plates coming up all the time when i used that car. i called them and they sent me a new transponder.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nifeblade View Post
Does that mean I will pay the penalty?
No,,,IF you or a family member of friend has an existing EZPass account and your car/lic plate either IS already listed on it or they add it on, the fee gets knocked right off. You just get charged the toll.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:35 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
I've gotten 2 penalty tix for battery running low and they didn't debit my tag and I saw the sign when I pass through the NJ Tpkie and I called EZpass to straighten it out. Each tix was $40 I think.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I've gotten 2 penalty tix for battery running low and they didn't debit my tag and I saw the sign when I pass through the NJ Tpkie and I called EZpass to straighten it out. Each tix was $40 I think.
I hope you mean they did not charge you or you did not have to pay. First of all they check your lic plate and if its already tied into an account they just deduct the toll directly. Second if that doesn't work you can take the charge off yourself when you go online.

I had a bad battery in one of mine and didn't notice for months until I looked at my account and saw evry time I drove that car through they just had the lic plate listed instead of the xponder. Never had any fees on that.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:52 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Speaking of EZ Pass Express, why the heck are they at the toll plazas with the least traffic? Pascack Valley has it, but the Essex and Union toll plazas, which probably have 5x the traffic and are a nightmare for a good portion of the day, don't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: