Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2008, 10:08 PM

13 posts, read 84,235 times

Advertisements

Alright, I'm a little stressed. I've lived in Southern California for 20 years, but my company is relocating me to NJ. I now fly back and forth from CA to NJ every week until I can move the whole family over. While I work in Mercer County NJ, I'm open to settling in anywhere around Mercer County NJ or PA, and have heard that Bucks County PA is a good area to live in.

Not having lived in the East Coast before, this is a big change for me and my family. We have a 3-rd grader and picking a good school district is the first priority. Since I've been spending more and more time in NJ, more and more people are telling me that I should pick PA instead of NJ because of the higher taxes (property, sales, income) as well as generally higher costs of living.

Can anyone give me some advice as to whether I should move to NJ or PA, and specifically as good districts in either area? I've looked at West Windsor schools in Mercer County NJ but have also heard that the Council Rock schools in Bucks County PA are good as well.

Thank you in advance!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 10:47 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,402 times
Hi! I can give you some advice; I now live in Mercer County but I grew up in Bucks County. IMHO, the schools here are not great (in general) but West Windsor is probably the best in Mercer County. Those telling you about the costs in NJ are correct. PA isn't cheap either but it does cost less. NJ schools are different, each municipality has their own district (adding to the costs) whereas PA has an area that each district covers.

In PA Council Rock and Central Bucks are GREAT districts (I went to CB) but I think Council Rock has overtaken CB in ratings recently. I'm not sure of your price range or what other qualities you're looking for in the area (DM me if you want) but I would look at the Council Rock area.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:17 PM

13 posts, read 84,235 times
Thanks MamaBee. House prices are not as big a concern, as I'm selling a higher price property in Los Angeles. Schools are the top factor, next is quality of living. Both my wife and I have always lived in big cities and are used to the convenience of being close to shopping and restaurants. That's why West Windsor looks attractive even though it's perhaps more densely populated than other areas around Princeton. The other reason is the availability of some good private schools in the area, just in case it turns out we don't like the West Windsor public schools.

How's the Bucks County area that's closer to Princeton (where I work)? Are the middle/high schools comparable to West Windsor? And is it generally more rural than city like?

Thanks.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:34 AM

4,417 posts, read 5,148,127 times
Try Hopewell.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:12 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,760,111 times
Also, go a little north to Somerset County. The schools are excellent. Also don't forget, education is what you make of it. If you are parents that stay on top of your child's school work, grades, etc., your child will excel, no question. Principals and teachers see that and you will have good communication regarding your child's education.
Good luck and welcome to the east coast.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:05 AM

691 posts, read 3,060,086 times
Newtown, PA is a nice town in Bucks County. Nice little downtown with shops and restaurants. Easy access to NJ and Princeton. I think it is in the Council Rock School District. Homes are expensive there but I'm sure comparable to West Windsor and cheaper than SoCal.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:50 AM

197 posts, read 776,892 times
Gosh---sounds like you ought to move to Princeton---has everything you described.....town, schools, highly educated people and good privates just in case.....

Old 01-16-2008, 09:55 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzBoy View Post
Newtown, PA is a nice town in Bucks County. Nice little downtown with shops and restaurants. Easy access to NJ and Princeton. I think it is in the Council Rock School District. Homes are expensive there but I'm sure comparable to West Windsor and cheaper than SoCal.
I was going to suggest Newtown as well. Not quite as large as Princeton but has a town center and lots of shopping nearby and is pretty diverse. Your property taxes there will be much less on a comparable home in NJ. There are several middle schools in Council Rock so you'd have to see which one your daughter would go to for a comparison to West Windsor.

Princeton is definitely more city like than Newtown, my impression of West Windsor is that it's just a crowded suburb. The entire area (Bucks/Mercer) is well populated and you're never far from anything...

Old 01-16-2008, 01:39 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,942,369 times
I'm quite familar with both school districts and both communities, having lived and taught in both NJ and PA. You would get more house for your money and an excellent education, plus more options for public or private higher education in Pennsylvania. There are also loads of private schools in the Philadelphia area that would meet your needs if the public didn't meet your expectations. Both school districts are probably about equal in putting out similar test scores, socioeconomic background of parents, types of experiences the students received out of school (activities, travel, clubs, music lessons etc.). With Council Rock you are close to Doylestown and Philadelphia and an easy day trip to the Princeton area. Culture can be found in any of the three in the way of theatres, movies, art shows, museums etc. Lots of history, lots of community pride etc.

The big difference (right now) is that in NJ the people vote on the taxes; school and municipal. If the taxpayers don't approve of the budget set forth, services, classes and positions are cut, putting a strain on the resources. In Pennsylvania, we elect our officials and that's it. The tax system is set forth by the school district, combined with the municipality, submitted to the tax collector and you pay the amount set for you based on the value of your real estate. (So much per mil).

The traffic in NJ is crazy (well compared to LA, you'll think you're in the country) but along with that comes higher frustration with trying to get from point A to point B. Nothing is ever quick, it's the land of lines....lines of traffic, lines of cars, lines in the stores, lines in the bank, lines in the restaurants...always people pushing, demanding, short fused etc. In Pennsylvania it seems a little more relaxed. You can avoid the high peak traffic, learn the ebbs/flow of traffic, and the hot spots/hot times at the stores and restaurants. There's just a calm about the existence here, much more laid back, patient and willing to wait.

Coming from Southern California, I'd probably think I was more at home in Mercer County, but I think you'll find it easier to come "home" to Pennsylvania! Welcome to the East Coast!

Old 01-17-2008, 11:07 AM

810 posts, read 2,291,954 times
Just another option to add to your confusion is Hunterdon County, NJ.(just north of Mercer) Excellent schools through out the county, although some may say that South Hunterdon HS is not as good as the others, but it's still above average. If your work is located in the northern part of Mercer or you dont mind a longer commute look at Delaware, East Amwell and Holland Townships. The first 2 go to Hunterdon Central which is a large hs with all the bells and whistles. Holland goes to Del Val which is much smaller but still a quality school. The elem/mid schools all seem to be consistantly good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey