Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2015, 09:45 PM

3 posts, read 4,880 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am confused where to buy home, right now I am renting in Bayonne, NJ.

Pros for Bayonne.
1. Closer to Ny, New Port, Exchange place..so closer to most common job hubs in NJ/NY.
2. We can buy 2-3 family home within $500K and rent one family that will help in mortgage.
3. Schools, grocery store...every thing is closer,so less time in commute for daily activities.
4. I feel property in Bayonne, is not reached to saturation point and chances of appreciation is more here.

Pros for Edison.
1. Schools seems to be very good or say much better in Edison.
I am mainly concern for high schools(9 to 12).

My kids age is 5 years and 11 years.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 10:03 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
How is the pizza situation in Bayonne?

Old 04-12-2015, 06:57 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
How is the pizza situation in Bayonne?
Bayonne has a number of independent pizzerias and restaurants with pizza on the menu. Bayonne pizza is one of the things I've missed most since we moved to Florida. There are a couple of mom-and-pops here that are okay, but there's nothing close to Pompeii, EJ's, the Venice, or my all-time favorite, the late, great Rocco's.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:16 AM

227 posts, read 329,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohtashgoyal View Post
Hi,

I am confused where to buy home, right now I am renting in Bayonne, NJ.

Pros for Bayonne.
1. Closer to Ny, New Port, Exchange place..so closer to most common job hubs in NJ/NY.
2. We can buy 2-3 family home within $500K and rent one family that will help in mortgage.
3. Schools, grocery store...every thing is closer,so less time in commute for daily activities.
4. I feel property in Bayonne, is not reached to saturation point and chances of appreciation is more here.

Pros for Edison.
1. Schools seems to be very good or say much better in Edison.
I am mainly concern for high schools(9 to 12).

My kids age is 5 years and 11 years.

Thanks in advance.
You need to decide on the priorities, if schooling is #1 Edison it is. If its commute, then Bayonne.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:31 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Safety, education, space, and shopping = Edison

Location to NYC = Bayonne

Public Schools in Bayonne area is bad, you would need to send them to private and the taxes are up there too.

These are the main things that matter.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:30 AM

343 posts, read 615,043 times
Here's my take, i am familiar with both areas:

1) Investment and $ wise, bayonne is by far best bang for buck, can buy 2 family <500k, rent out 1 family to cover property tax + a few hundred bucks toward mortgage. VS edison which is your typical suburb with 500-700k single family.

2) Bayonne has much easier commute to jersey city(ie newport), however commute to nyc door to door isnt THAT much better, as you need to take lightrail then path, add in wait time for both etc..vs edison direct train.

3) School wise, edison is far better, bayonne schools are horrible.

4) Neighborhood wise, edison is far better with lots shops and neatly lined streets, vs bayonne more industrial streets with a lot of old houses and car repair shops sprinkled in, not to mention rundown broadway shopping (they did built a walmart center with a few stores around it but that's about it).

5) Property appreciation - this is subjective but i feel edison has better chance to appreciate with the overall market. Bayonne's property prices havent been going up along with the rest of the market, it has been static for many years. School is a key factor as most people buying houses have kids and need good school, also the overall area is another factor. A direct ferry to nyc + revitalizing broadway + improve school will go a long way to improve bayonne, but i am not holding my breath.

So the decision is very simple - do you want to be more financial secure or live in a much nicer area with good schools. That's it.

Me personally, if I have kid i will choose edison, if not, i will live in bayonne to save money until i have kid/need school.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:51 PM

41 posts, read 88,963 times
Good reply.

But how about buying a two or three family in Edison? That will beat everything in buying in Bayonne, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdude05 View Post
Here's my take, i am familiar with both areas:

1) Investment and $ wise, bayonne is by far best bang for buck, can buy 2 family <500k, rent out 1 family to cover property tax + a few hundred bucks toward mortgage. VS edison which is your typical suburb with 500-700k single family.

2) Bayonne has much easier commute to jersey city(ie newport), however commute to nyc door to door isnt THAT much better, as you need to take lightrail then path, add in wait time for both etc..vs edison direct train.

3) School wise, edison is far better, bayonne schools are horrible.

4) Neighborhood wise, edison is far better with lots shops and neatly lined streets, vs bayonne more industrial streets with a lot of old houses and car repair shops sprinkled in, not to mention rundown broadway shopping (they did built a walmart center with a few stores around it but that's about it).

5) Property appreciation - this is subjective but i feel edison has better chance to appreciate with the overall market. Bayonne's property prices havent been going up along with the rest of the market, it has been static for many years. School is a key factor as most people buying houses have kids and need good school, also the overall area is another factor. A direct ferry to nyc + revitalizing broadway + improve school will go a long way to improve bayonne, but i am not holding my breath.

So the decision is very simple - do you want to be more financial secure or live in a much nicer area with good schools. That's it.

Me personally, if I have kid i will choose edison, if not, i will live in bayonne to save money until i have kid/need school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey