Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 02:30 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
I actually made an error in my previous post. JERSEY CITY didn't start to be called JERSEY CITY until the 1800s (not the 1600s, like I said earlier).

But other than that, I stand by what I said.

Going by your logic, all of the below:

Jersey Boys
Jersey Girl
Jersey Gardens Outlet Mall
Jersey Boy Bagels
"Jersey Fresh"
Jersey Tomato
Jersey Mike's
Jersey 101.5 FM

Should be renamed as follows:

New Jersey Boys
New Jersey Girl
New Jersey Gardens Outlet Mall
New Jersey Boy Bagels
"New Jersey Fresh"
New Jersey Tomato
New Jersey Mike's
New Jersey 101.5 FM

Because all of these things originate in, and relate to, New Jersey.
They have nothing to do with, and are not named for, anyone or anything in the Channel Islands.

Jersey Girl is a song about a girl from New Jersey.
Jersey Boys is a musical about a bunch of guys from New Jersey.
Jersey Gardens is a mall in New Jersey.
"Jersey Fresh" is an ad campaign for New Jersey produce/farms

Etc. Etc.

Also, your assertion that "the only time Jersey is even mention in slang is to describe the southern part of the state" is patently false.
The statement had to do with the link I posted ,you need to go back and read what I posted .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 03:29 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
What you and others fail to understand is as your list goes those are the actual names of the places communities and things .It is not called New Jersey Mikes because the name is Jersey Mikes ,if you go back to the beginning and read I said they don't call it York ,they don't call it Hampshire ,it is New York ,New Hampshire and New Jersey.When people want to call it Jersey they should be corrected,people who don't are lazy and ignorant .
Wrong. People who call New Jersey, 'JERSEY' are not lazy and ignorant.

They are using a nickname.

It is YOUR, PERSONAL pet peeve that people should always say NEW JERSEY and never informally/affectionately refer to it as JERSEY. Don't call people LAZY and IGNORANT because they do not share your same rigid PREFERENCES.

It is called JERSEY MIKE'S, and not NEW JERSEY MIKE'S for the same exact reason that people say JERSEY instead of NEW JERSEY...to be informal.

If I am going to write a formal essay about New Jersey, or write a news article about New Jersey, I will always use 'NEW JERSEY'. In chat posts on City Data? It's not an imperative to use NEW JERSEY over JERSEY.

'Hampshire' is not a traditional nickname for New Hampshire. That's why no one says it.
'York' is not a traditional nickname for New York. That's why no one says it.
You are comparing apples to oranges.

Quote:
The statement had to do with the link I posted ,you need to go back and read what I posted .
No. You need to go back and read what I posted.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:51 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
Wrong. People who call New Jersey, 'JERSEY' are not lazy and ignorant.

They are using a nickname.

It is YOUR, PERSONAL pet peeve that people should always say NEW JERSEY and never informally/affectionately refer to it as JERSEY. Don't call people LAZY and IGNORANT because they do not share your same rigid PREFERENCES.

It is called JERSEY MIKE'S, and not NEW JERSEY MIKE'S for the same exact reason that people say JERSEY instead of NEW JERSEY...to be informal.

If I am going to write a formal essay about New Jersey, or write a news article about New Jersey, I will always use 'NEW JERSEY'. In chat posts on City Data? It's not an imperative to use NEW JERSEY over JERSEY.

No. You need to go back and read what I posted.

First you need to go back and re-read what I posted .

A) you are 100% wrong the corporate name of the company is "Jersey Mikes" not New Jersey Mikes so again you are wrong .
B) The nickname for the state that you think is alright simply is not .You prove my point in your response when you say if you were writing a formal essay .

Old 04-21-2015, 07:25 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
First you need to go back and re-read what I posted .

A) you are 100% wrong the corporate name of the company is "Jersey Mikes" not New Jersey Mikes so again you are wrong .
B) The nickname for the state that you think is alright simply is not .You prove my point in your response when you say if you were writing a formal essay .
That is what Docendo discimus said.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:45 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,886 times
Joisey! Root Tree...SEE...KOWK...US

Old 04-21-2015, 03:07 PM

10,481 posts, read 6,999,249 times
At least nobody calls it "Joisey", for some reason people out of state think we say this. The truth is nobody has have referred to nj as this.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:32 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
At least nobody calls it "Joisey", for some reason people out of state think we say this. The truth is nobody has have referred to nj as this.
The only time I ever heard it was when I lived in Florida (referenced in my post above yours).

Old 04-24-2015, 03:46 PM

46 posts, read 79,873 times
I agree with .. , you gotta have pride.

I mean G1..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey