Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 06:39 AM

380 posts, read 607,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes1982 View Post
He didn't say American because the history and culture of European descendants in the US is different than other Americans.

You can say things like "back in the day the Irish weren't considered white" but this isn't back in the day, it's now. Back in the day (and I am talking about the 1970s when my dad was growing up) the respectful terms for blacks were negro/colored and for Asians it was Oriental. Now say that in public and you're branded with the scarlet letter or "waycist".

To a white American mutt like me, Saint Pattys day or Oktoberfest has no cultural significance. I'm not Bavarian or Irish, I'm a white American and it's a completely different identity at this point.

In 2015, white is perfectly defined in the American context. To be white in the United States means that you're descended wholly from Europe whether Romania or Ireland. Cuban Cameron Diaz is white, Italian Al Pacino is white, Irish Ted Kennedy (yuck) was white. Since European settlement centuries ago there has been mixing between different European descendants in the States...Jamestown colony was settled in 1620, thats almost 400 years of European descendants on this land mixing. If that isn't enough time for us to have a cohesive cultural identity as white Americans than I don't know.

Me and mine are not Irish, or Italian, or Swedish or Bavarian or whatever. We are Americans and we are white, and if someone has an issue with that but not with BET (Black Entertainment Television) or Hispanic Heritage Month, that makes you a big ol' exclusionary racist.
You want to have your cake and eat it too. You bemoan minorities getting their own heritage celebrations and claim we should just all be Americans, a position I strongly agree with. On on the hand though you think whites (a group you define narrowly in other posts which is biologically inaccurate btw) should have their own made up heritage celebrations as well.

Again, 2 wrongs don't make a right. Do you prefer we all be
be Americans and celebrate common things--July 4th, Thanksgiving, etc or every ethnic group classified along some highly suspect lines (eg Indians and Chinese are not the same ethnicity and neither are Swedes and Italians) celebrate made up things to assuage some people's feelings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 06:44 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,254 times
Agreed. The double standard is the only racist thing here. People start celebrating "white anything" and too many chime in "KKK" or "white supremacy" or "white privilege" (whatever the hell that is). It is very politically incorrect to be pro-white/European these days.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:56 AM

60 posts, read 115,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I think it is only logical that if you are serious about your convictions, you should place a banner notice on your home page announcing your White Pride, and perhaps you should implement some kind of price promotion in honor of that pride. As to exactly how you can utilize this promotion, I can't say, but if you don't do something similar to what the failed business owner in Flemington did, then I would have to say that you don't have the courage of your convictions.

Hm, I will do something similar. I will definitely put "XX & SONS RESTAURANT SUPPLIERS CELEBRATES EUROPEAN HERITAGE" and I will give 10% off any order from a restaurant that serves European food and free delivery to a business that puts the same banner up as me.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:12 AM

472 posts, read 812,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Agreed. The double standard is the only racist thing here. People start celebrating "white anything" and too many chime in "KKK" or "white supremacy" or "white privilege" (whatever the hell that is). It is very politically incorrect to be pro-white/European these days.
White privilege is when white people think that they could do things that other races can't. I'm pretty sure this is what it is anyway.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:00 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes1982 View Post
All of you guys have gone off on a whole 'nother tangent that I have not the slightest bit to do with, but I will close with this:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having pride in being an American of European descent. Since many Americans of European descent are either mixed with lots of different European ancestries which are sometimes too numerous to even count or their ancestors are so long on this continent that they don't even know where their bloodline originated - the only appropriate ethno-cultural identity that's appropriate would be, European American, the short form of which would be white (just of the appropriate short form for African-American would be black).

Anyone who condemns whites/European-Americans for having pride in their unique ethno-cultural heritage, without simultaneously condemning blacks, and Hispanics, and Asians for celebrating their ethno-cultural pride is being exclusionary and singling out one group for unfair treatment.

In a reversed situation, there would be absolutely no question that double standards based solely upon heritage and skin color would considered racist.
Since I was raised by decent and compassionate human beings, I was taught believe in believe in fairness. So therefore I hold people to the same standard and have no question in my mind, that anyone who has a problem with white pride but not black pride is a complete racist, who is absolutely no better than someone like George Wallace.

I'm the father of 5 boys, and I know that if I do not raise them all to be wholly proud of who they are (part of that is being proud to be a white American and embracing that) then I would have to consider myself a failure as a parent.
Totally agree! Great posts, blueeyes1982.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:32 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,429,831 times
Racial pride is good for you psychologically:

Racial identity tied to happiness, study finds -- ScienceDaily

Quote:
...[P]eople who identify more strongly with their racial identity are generally happier, according to a study led by psychology researchers at Michigan State University.
The study looks at racial pride in African Americans, but of course, this can be easily applied to European Americans, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey