U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 01:08 AM

4 posts, read 7,066 times

Advertisements

Hello, I just wanted to inquire about renting one of these two buildings in East Orange. I've read some other threads about East Orange, some saying to stay away and others saying that there are nicer areas, particularly the Upsala/Ward 1 area. Does anyone have any experience with either of these two buildings? Are neighbors friendly, rude, noisy? Is the building well maintained? Would it be safe to live in either of them. I was also wonder about the Brick Church train station in EO. I've been seeing lots of conflicting information about it. Some places say the train takes 25 min to get to Manhattan. Others say 40 min. Some say it costs $6.25 one way and others say it's less. What is the actually price and travel time to the city? I've seen these buildings during the day and the streets seems quiet and nice, but from what I've been reading in here about EO, it sounds like it's a completely different war zone at night. Is all of East Orange really as dangerous as people say? Or are there some parts where you wouldn't get any trouble. Particularly in and around these buildings. Is there anyone that lives or has live in either of them that could give me some insight so I could make a decision? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 07:00 AM

8,100 posts, read 8,125,186 times
If it were me, I'd stop by the building and ask other current residents in person. As for the train station, I would call the local police precinct and get crime statistics for that area. I would also go the train station and strike up some conversations with the other users. It's the only way to find out what is happening right now. Prospect has had a ton of foreclosures. It's a condo, but the maintenance fees are so high and most owners are upside down and have rented to tenants. Elevators were often an issue, so I'd only live on the lower floors where I could hoof it.

East Orange will cause knee-jerk negativity in an online forum, so I would try to get information that is useful directly from the people that live and commute there.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:04 AM

21 posts, read 24,208 times
New Jersey Transit
Here's the train schedule link.
Select origin and destination stations from the menus and click 'View Schedule'.
It shows adult one way fare is $6.25.
The train times vary but fastest for today was 25 minutes.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,911 times
Not to offend anyone, but unless you're familiar with North Jersey and the way of living here I wouldn't recommend this city period. In my opinion it's a very poor city and I don't see how it would be possible to really live a comfortable life here. People walk up to you car at drive thru windows begging for money. How do you know that person isn't going to rob you? Begging at the post office and as soon as you get off parkway exit 144. I hate living here. I moved here because I needed to be close to NYC and my building (Empire View) has all the amenities I was looking for and I feel very safe here, but outside the property is just bad. I'm moving to West NY, NJ when my lease is up.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:03 PM

9,601 posts, read 15,246,285 times
I usually take the #6324 (stops 9:16am at Brick Church) in the morning, and it's on time more often than not. Earlier trains hit congestion delays more often. The trains out in the evening are often slightly ahead of schedule. Of course when the tunnels have problems, all bets are off.

EO is definitely a different place at night. I wouldn't call that part of EO a war zone (I've been through nastier parts of Philadelphia at night) but you do see people hanging out looking hostile, having fights on the side of the road, etc.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:57 PM

Thanks for all of your replies. I'm leaning more toward Falcon Towers on 276 Prospect St because the listing agent has been much more responsive. I wouldn't really want to go in person and knock on tenants doors and disturb them get insight on the buildings but I was hoping there might be some residents on the forum that would have so info on the buildings. I've been to Irvington and Newark plenty of times and never really had a problem or felt in danger there. I've seen what you mean about people hanging around outside in EO, and although I've never really felt threatened being around that, I was wondering if that particular street also had that same occurrence for anyone that might frequent that part of town? Although I don't mind seeing people hanging out around busy parts of town, I wouldn't necessarily want to see that while looking out my my bedroom window. Also, I saw the times and the price for the train on the website and just wanted to make sure since I saw conflicting info on here. One person even said it was $5 round trip to the city. Does the #6324 train that you take cost $6.25 one way, or a different price? And does it actually typically get to the city in around 25 minutes or is 25 minutes a rare but possible time? Thanks!

Old 04-30-2015, 02:22 PM

4,379 posts, read 9,535,858 times
The area around Brick Church station is very gritty and run down. Just take a ride around there. When all the stores have steel gates that should tell you something. I have read articles online about people who have been robbed in broad daylight right on the train station platform.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:35 PM

512 posts, read 435,333 times
With NJT you'll be looking at three possible ways of paying. One way, Weekly or Monthly.

For Brick Church a one way ticket is $6.25. Need to go there and back, get two one way tickets.

A weekly ticket would be $51.50. If you're making more than 8 trips a week, you'll save money with this.

A monthly ticket is $169. So if you're doing more than 27 trips, in a month, you'll save money with this. A month should average to 43 trips for a normal working week.

The only caveat with the weekly and monthly tickets is that they're by the calendar. So I started taking the train on Feb 9th, and I bought a few one ways to finish out the week. Then a few weeks to finish out the month, and now I buy monthlys.

As far as travel time. During the morning rush hours listed times vary from 25-28 minutes. The train you're mentioning is listed at 26 minutes. It is worth noting that I take the train that would be 8:12 at Brick Church (it's 8:05 to me in South Orange) and that train never arrives on time regardless of what time it pulls into the station. There's just so much backup that I'm pretty much 5-10 minutes behind the scheduled time.

It's supposed to arrive at 8:37 and the earliest I've ever seen the doors open is 8:41 and that was only once. Also the platforms are crowded, and without being in the perfect spot (which you'll have trouble finding a seat near by the time the train gets to Brick Church) or being overly aggressive it can be up to another 5 minutes before you're actually off the platform and out of the building. My wife takes an earlier train that generally arrives on schedule.

That said, I do find the commute pretty comfortable, and you shouldn't have a problem getting a seat most days - at least on the train I take.

As far as that area of East Orange, I can't really speak to it. We drive up and down Harrison getting to the 280 and I'm under the impression that area doesn't seem bad (it's the extreme SW corner of EO, so it borders Orange and South Orange.) but I haven't hung out around the Brick Church station area at all. It's clearly not a country club. I probably wouldn't park a Lamborghini on the curb overnight there., but you're probably not going to get killed.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:33 PM

Thanks again for all of your detailed information! The part about people being robbed on the platform concerns me a bit but everything else sounds doable. But I think I'm going to wait until I can visit the area again before I make a decision on moving. Thanks again!

Old 05-01-2015, 09:51 PM

512 posts, read 435,333 times
Searching around it seems the East Orange train platform robbery was in Dec 2009. One incident 4.5 years ago? Probably not worth too much worry. While I'd definitely worry about an apartment building location in EO, I don't think I'd worry about safety on the platform any more than you should anywhere.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or