Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 02:20 PM

800 posts, read 1,296,435 times

Advertisements

Is It Okay To Leave Your Kid*Alone In A Car*If You're*Not An Idiot?

so last summer there were plenty of cases of neglect where the father intentionally killed his kid in a car, mother goes to work while kids in car, gambles, drinks etc while kids are the car.

the article linked above take the view of what if the adult is not an A-hole and just a rational adult of sound mind parent.

there have been a few times now in the 13 months i've been a father that i have wanted to leave my (usually sleeping) child in the car for 5-10 minutes while i run into a post office, bank, dunkin doughnuts, etc. All these times the weather was below 70 and the car could be left running or not and i would have allowed my child to rest and gotten my task done faster than taking the car seat out and the stroller and diaper bag, etc.

I was confident that my child would be in no harm during the time but the only thing that prevents me from doing that is the overly cautious, i want to be in everyones business, stranger wannabe hero that may pass by for those few minutes and assume a monster is trying to kill their kid.

the **** storm of problems that i have read about when cops and CPS get involved for honest well intentioned parents caught in a ridiculous legal battle because of a stranger have kept me afraid of doing this.

i love my kid and would never put her in harms way but sometimes one can use a break and if everyone (parent and child) is better off in the 5-10 minute safe scenario it would be nice to know i have that option without fear of legal battles.

i'd like to see everyone else views on this. state if you are a parent or not for perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 02:24 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,186,786 times
I know what you mean about the overly cautious, want to be in everyone's business types, but I would have a problem with doing that with an infant or small child because what if something happened to you while you were running your 5-10 minute errand. It is probably a remote possibility, but what if you got hit by a car or bicycle crossing the street, hit your head and could not communicate? Your daughter would then be in the car far longer than the 5-10 minutes and could be in danger.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:25 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,770,959 times
and how is someone walking by know that you are going to be back in 5-10 minutes and not an a-hole or how long the kid has been there

If you do not want to take care of your kid or it is too inconvenient, then you probably shouldn't have any

and everyone knows that a 5 minute stop in the post office has no way of ending up to be 30+ minutes

Old 05-07-2015, 02:34 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
I know what you mean about the overly cautious, want to be in everyone's business types, but I would have a problem with doing that with an infant or small child because what if something happened to you while you were running your 5-10 minute errand. It is probably a remote possibility, but what if you got hit by a car or bicycle crossing the street, hit your head and could not communicate? Your daughter would then be in the car far longer than the 5-10 minutes and could be in danger.
If the OP got hit by a car, I'm not sure the baby would really have been better off in his/her arms.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:47 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
Two of the three things you mention have drive thrus that I use for this very reason. The Post Office? Even when I'm the only one in line that's not five minutes.

Look, it sucks, being a parent means you don't have time anyway and they finally fell asleep after thirty minutes of driving around and you just want to get some stuff done. I get it, I really do. I don't agree with it a lot of the time, especially in spaces where you can maintain eye contact with your kid. They do make car seat systems where you can take the car seat out and drop it into a stroller, that's a solution. Or you can hope they're in a deep enough sleep to get your thing done

But the deal is that you just don't do it for the same reason you put those stupid plastic covers on the outlets and foam corners on the coffee table. The reward isn't worth the risk. If something goes wrong and your kid ends up hurt because you wanted some coffee I'm willing to bet you won't see Dunkin Donuts the same anymore.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:02 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,186,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
If the OP got hit by a car, I'm not sure the baby would really have been better off in his/her arms.
Granted, bad example, but the point I was trying to make is you never know what might happen with kid there, you someplace else.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:19 PM

538 posts, read 732,569 times
I noticed he said 'take the car seat out', so it sounds like the kid is still in an infant car seat. If that's the case, then what you're trying to avoid is pretty much a piece of cake compared to the rest of your life! My kid would usually stay asleep if I was just snapping the car seat into the stroller. Then I could just roll around and do whatever I wanted.

Enjoy this while you can, and no, don't leave the kid in the car. If you're taking care of the kid then the kid is priority over errands. Have someone else watch the kid when you actually need to get something done.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:53 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
That is a very strong statement for the OP. Not sure he/she deserves it. He/she may very well love his child as much as you love our children, just has a different perspective on a few aspects. We are of course very sensitive to issues related to child welfare but we must also be aware that there are cultural & geographical differences. Not all countries in the world have rules on having an adult supervise a minor. And if I may say, unfortunately there are some parents whose presence is far detrimental to the child than their absence. So let us not be very judgemental to the OP.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:08 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
That is a very strong statement for the OP. Not sure he/she deserves it. He/she may very well love his child as much as you love our children, just has a different perspective on a few aspects. We are of course very sensitive to issues related to child welfare but we must also be aware that there are cultural & geographical differences. Not all countries in the world have rules on having an adult supervise a minor. And if I may say, unfortunately there are some parents whose presence is far detrimental to the child than their absence. So let us not be very judgemental to the OP.
I think he was saying that if the OP randomly got hit by a truck while the baby was in the car, it would be a good thing since the baby therefore wouldn't be involved in the accident.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:15 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
Idk how old your kids are, but let me assure you---
Sh*t happens, & the last thing you want to do is feel regret....

Your job as a parent is to protect your kids 24/7.
Guess what?

It's not always convenient.
It's not always easy......
Leaving them in the car is just pure laziness.

And I raised my kids on my own, btw.
No family to help, babysit or anything else.
It was all me....
Constantly on guard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: