Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 05:11 PM

518 posts, read 1,792,375 times

Advertisements

Why not Warren or Berkeley Heights. May not be a huge downtowns but there are many restaurants with many updated beautiful plazas and the communities have a lot to offer. Warren has larger lots and Berkeley Heights offers more townhomes, depending on what you like. Very close commute to Bridgewater and right next to routes 287/78/22 for getting most places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 04:33 PM

328 posts, read 1,049,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomervilleCat View Post
Don't move to Manville. Your house will be underwater because of the flood zones and even if not, I imagine it will be hard to resell your house since people familiar with the area won't move there.
There is whole area where Manville/Somerville/Raritan/Hillsborough meet that floods. It's not just Manville. They just make the news! I used to sub in Manville and the schools are growing by leaps and bounds - it's crazy! But the OP's budget is way beyond Manville, Bound Brook and Somerville. Hillsborough and Bridgewater and great towns but no walkable downtowns. Somerville is so close and great downtown though.

Personally with that budget, I'd look at Morristown or maybe even Clinton and Flemington.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:08 PM

2,750 posts, read 2,420,713 times
Somerville

Avoid Manville. not the nicest town

Old 05-21-2015, 09:53 PM

465 posts, read 607,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamann28 View Post
My husband just got a new job in Bridgewater. We are moving from Westchester County in NY and don't want too long a commute back to Westchester as my elderly parents still live here. Would also like to drive or take the train into Manhattan for pleasure once in a while.

We are looking to buy a home with at least 3 bedrooms as we have 2 college kids who come home often, esp for the summer and breaks. We are looking for a town with a walkable downtown, shops, recreation, and good opportunities to meet new people who are friendly. Not sure of price, but would want to keep it below $650,000.

So far Basking Ridge and Bernards look good, but expensive. School district not an issue as our kids are in college. Also looked into Westfield, Cranford, but these are 30 mins away from BW and in flood zones.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Unless someone diverted a river through Westfield while I was sleeping, there are no flood zones. I can only think of one tiny area that floods - lamberts mill road near the RWJ fitness center and that's not a residential area. Look at the government flood maps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey