Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 03:36 PM

9 posts, read 19,253 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking at a rental in that area and want to n kW what the neighborhood is like. We have an 18 month old daughter.

Is it safe to take a walk etc? How are the people?

Any info is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 03:54 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
That part of Edison was developed in the immediate post-WW II era, and consists of mostly 55-60 year old small homes (on small lots) that are--for the most part--decently maintained.

Safe? Absolutely!
Congested? You didn't ask, but...yes.

The population is reasonably diverse, with a fairly high representation of people from the Indian subcontinent.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:51 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,805 times
I used to live not far from there and the biggest complaint I had was the traffic on the narrow streets in the morning and afternoon (school pickup/dropoff). Other than that there is some traffic noise from Rt 27 and Rt1 (since it sits between the 2 its hard to find anywhere in that neighborhood that doesnt have ANY traffic noise.) I never had a problem walking the neighborhood, there are several playgrounds nearby within walking distance as well that I used to go to with my then 2yr old son.

I never had a problem with any neighbors and like another poster mentioned, its very diverse area. Still mostly white IMO but a good mix of everyone (if your into that sort of thing). Our direct neighbors were Puerto Rican, Black, Cuban, and Indian as well as a very nice old Italian couple a few houses away and across the street who would drop off figs from their trees and cucumbers from their garden for my son. (He LOVES cucumbers )

One of the things I always thought was cool were all the Highschool track and field kids running around the neighborhood in their little packs. The boys would usually go flying by then the HUGE pack of girls would come along. Some of them would stop and help one of our elderly neighbors whenever they came across each other. But they were always respectful and went about their business.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:21 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
^
When these post WW II tract developments were laid out, the town fathers of Raritan Township (it hadn't yet changed its name to "Edison") allowed almost anyone to build, and had few requirements for the builders. As a result, the streets winding through those developments are just too narrow for 20th & 21st Century traffic flowing between Route 1 & Route 27. Hence, the congestion to which I referred.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:38 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreditedLemon View Post
My wife and I are looking at a rental in that area and want to n kW what the neighborhood is like. We have an 18 month old daughter.

Is it safe to take a walk etc? How are the people?

Any info is appreciated!
That was farmland when we moved into that area in 1948. There was a small cemetary right near those streets you named. When they built "Washington Park" development they built around the cemetary. It was still there when we moved away in 1961.
That area is still "affordable" by todays standards. When my dad bought new in 1948 he paid $8,400 for our 2 br home. Last I looked they sell for around $300K.

It was a safe area back in the 50-60's when we walked thru there on our way to Edison HS and since it is a working class neighborhood I am assuming it is probably still a safe area.

Retriever is right about the narrow streets, back in the day most famalies only had one car and every home had a driveway to park your car, not so today.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:48 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
I would not consider any part of Edison to be unsafe. In fact I'm pretty sure I have seen Edison listed many times on the "safest cities in America" list.

IMO the north side of town is nicer than the south side of town.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:55 AM

255 posts, read 455,371 times
Very few places in New Jersey are not safe.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:54 AM

968 posts, read 1,139,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I would not consider any part of Edison to be unsafe. In fact I'm pretty sure I have seen Edison listed many times on the "safest cities in America" list.

IMO the north side of town is nicer than the south side of town.
North Edison does include Potter's Crossing which most people forget. But it's a wart on an otherwise nice area.

South Edison is not a bad area at all, it is just aging.

Last edited by NYtoNJtoPA; 08-10-2016 at 12:03 PM..

Old 08-10-2016, 12:03 PM

968 posts, read 1,139,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJpoliticiansarecrooks View Post
Very few places in New Jersey are not safe.
Relative to what?

Old 08-10-2016, 10:37 PM

237 posts, read 482,245 times
All of Edison is very safe. The north side is generally "nicer" and has better schools, but the south side (where that location is) is perfectly fine as well.

Try to avoid that strip of Route 27 at peak hours though. It's pretty awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey