Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 10:21 AM

44 posts, read 154,015 times

Advertisements

Which Aquarium do you think is better -
Camden, NJ or mystic Aquarium in CT?

Which Zoo do you think is better-
Cape May Zoo vs the Turtle Back Zoo in West Orange

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 11:07 AM

267 posts, read 352,010 times
Mystic is Nice but I liked Camden Better. I havnt been to Cape May in a bit but my recollection is that it is much smaller than Turtle Back. We love Turtleback, we are actually members each year.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:22 AM

44 posts, read 154,015 times
why do you think Camden is better? I am also afraid of the area's reputation....

Old 05-14-2015, 01:08 PM

267 posts, read 352,010 times
The area right at the aquarium is fine. You can take a train in or even drive in and not have an issue. It was bigger and I thought a bit better organized than Mystic. I remember being disappointed when I went there about 3 years ago

Old 05-14-2015, 03:43 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,186,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredGN View Post
why do you think Camden is better? I am also afraid of the area's reputation....
Need not worry. The animals in the zoo are much civilized than the ones outside.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:02 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcip View Post
Mystic is Nice but I liked Camden Better. I havnt been to Cape May in a bit but my recollection is that it is much smaller than Turtle Back. We love Turtleback, we are actually members each year.
Cape May Zoo is larger than Turtle Back. According to google, 85 acres (Cape May) vs. 20 (Turtle Back). But if Wikipedia is right, Turtle Back has more animals. I've been to both, but not for quite a few years. I remember both being excellent zoos, though. The South Mountain Reservation is a beautiful area, especially in the fall, so I think it's a bit more of a scenic area.

The Camden Aquarium is also really good. The area the aquarium is in is safe. They wouldn't let it NOT be. Never been to Mystic.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:10 PM

324 posts, read 574,827 times
Cape May Zoo is nice, and you can't beat the price (free). Turtle Back Zoo is probably a little better though.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:12 AM

414 posts, read 296,280 times
My daughter attends URI, and we have driven past the Mystic signs several times. I wanted to stop in on the way up, and she said that Camden was much larger/better among the two choices.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:01 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredGN View Post
Because I haven't been to the aquarium in Mystic, I can't compare it to the one in Camden, but I have to say that the Camden facility really underwhelmed me in comparison to the aquariums in Boston and Seattle. It's not that Camden's aquarium was bad in any way, but it just doesn't measure-up to those other two.

That being said, the waterfront area where the aquarium is located is not near any slum areas and I felt perfectly safe there when I visited last year. The route to the aquarium (and the route back to the highways when you leave town) is marked well-enough that you shouldn't wind up in the parts of town that are best avoided. The parking area adjacent to the aquarium is huge and appeared to have security that was more than adequate.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:08 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,217 times
Cape May Zoo kills Turtle Back. It feels more like you are on Safari than at a zoo(walking through and over animal areas instead of outside of them). Also they have a giant play area outside the entrance. Don't get me wrong I like Turtle Back too but it has a completely different feel. Cape May is only free for cheapskates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey