Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 05:05 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times

Advertisements

Looks like O'Scanlon lost my vote if he decides to run for Gov and yes I do pump my own gas when out of state or even in-state when filling up my classic car (attendents allow me as they would rather not have to hold the handle until it's filled).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

Drivers in New Jersey may soon be pumping their own gas if a bill to be introduced next month by Assemblyman Declan O'Scanlon, R-Monmouth, becomes law.

Show of hands: How many of you would prefer to have an attendant fill up your tank for you, particularly in lousy weather? If you raised your hand, you're in the majority. A 2012 Fairleigh Dickinson University/PublicMind found that 63 percent of New Jerseyans want to keep full-service pumps.

EDITORIAL: Don't scrap full-service gas stations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 07:22 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
I for one would like the choice to fill my own car. Many times I often finish it off as the attendant is two aisles over with other customers.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:27 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
I for one would like the choice to fill my own car. Many times I often finish it off as the attendant is two aisles over with other customers.
Good for you, but what about your 70 year old grandmother/mother who now has to pump her own gas.

And don't let them kid you. First they'l start with self service and before you know it within a few years, full service will be a memory.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:24 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
Be nice to have more gas stations open late at night, and not just on the highways, and I'm sure at least some stations which currently don't have them will build roofs for the rain when people have to get out of their cars to get gas. With that said, I think most of the savings will be pocketed by the owners of the stations rather than passed on to the public.

At the end of the day I don't really care much either way. I do get that this is kind of iconic/distinctive and some people will feel more strongly.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:26 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Good for you, but what about your 70 year old grandmother/mother who now has to pump her own gas.

And don't let them kid you. First they'l start with self service and before you know it within a few years, full service will be a memory.
If you're handicapped, they're required to come out and help you, honking is the signal. Yes, I am serious. (Exception is if there's only one employee present on site). If they don't, you get to make some money off of an ADA lawsuit.

Otherwise, if you managed to walk from door to your car in the first place, I'm pretty sure you can walk 3 feet away from your car and work a gas pump. It's not like it's the biggest challenge in the world.

It's like you think 48 other states haven't already worked this out.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:50 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
I want to keep full service gas stations. I see no issues with them. People complain about waiting around for the attendants to finish up with other cars but I rarely have this problem. I avoid highway gas stations and go to more local ones, with maybe 4-8 pumps. The only time I've ever seen crowded gas stations was after Sandy when gas was being rationed and people needed it for their cars and generators. Other than that, that common complaint is barely an issue for me. I just got gas today and despite there being 2 other cars at the 4 pumps the station had, with one attendant, I did not wait around. He was quick. They usually are very attentive in general at the stations I go to.

It DOES provide jobs, which is always a plus. And it's convenient. I see no problem with having full service stations.

One of my closest friends is from CA and now lives in NY. When she comes to NJ she tells me she loves that she doesn't have to pump her own gas - and she loves the cheaper prices than both CA and NY. She tries to get her gas here when possible for those two reasons. She's been to Oregon before so she's been exposed to full service stations but not on a large scale, so when she first came out here she was baffled as to why we have them and don't just do it ourselves. Now she's much less baffled about it and even likes it.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:26 AM

9 posts, read 9,904 times
This is about choice. If you want to save time and pump gas yourself, then you are finally free to do so. If you prefer to have someone pump your gas for you, then choose the full service line (mandated by law as an option for the next three years). If you have a disability, gas stations are already required to assist you by law.

This is something that should be decided by gas station owners, not the government, as it responds to customer preferences. If you want full service, then use it. Just don't make the rest of us who are perfectly capable of pumping our own gas, and want to, wait around for a full service attendant - and with a straight face claim it's for "safety" reasons. (As if people across the country are blowing themselves up because pumping gas is too complicated!)

Old 05-19-2015, 05:56 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
I don't care really. Its nice to not have to get out of the car in bad weather and when I'm alone with the kids but its not the end of the world. I've had attendants yelling at me for pumping my own. I had 2-3 ask me how the hell I figured out how to work the pump when it took them a day or 2 to figure it out. Most just ask, "You got it?" And im done and in my car before then even have a chance to come over.

Id really like to know the reason WHY they want to do away with it? Is it because the gas tax hike keeps getting denied so they want to use this as leverage to offset a higher tax? Is it because they want to lower the price of gas further? Whats the real motivation behind it. Ive come to be wary of ANYthing a politician wants to change.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:05 AM

839 posts, read 1,209,260 times
Should be a choice , I for one would prefer to pump my own. Time to join the other 49 states . Silly that Jersey has this rule.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:20 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Just can't leave well enough alone.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey