U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 02:48 PM

10 posts, read 11,063 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I have a 4 year old boy with autism. He is currently enrolled in special education class, in Jersey City public school, NJ. we think he is not improving much, I feel the services provided are not good enough.The dev pediatrician has recommended an autism class with low student teacher ratio with students. How do you guys recommend Morris county vs Bergen county. I work in NYC, low commute is one of my considerations too.

I am looking for suggestions where to move and what to do at this time, Please suggest me better place where my son can get better attention and better services. I really appreciate any help, I am sure people on this forum has gone through loops and holes, your experience and research definitely help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 05:21 PM

46 posts, read 33,993 times
ECLC of New Jersey

EXCELLENT School with campuses in chatham and ho-ho-kus.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:19 AM

13 posts, read 15,714 times
It all depends on where on spectrum your child is. Private Special Ed schools are great, but most of them take out-of-district placements. They are district or state funded schools & take admissions if the local school district is not able to provide sufficient/appropriate services. To get admission in such schools district has to agree with the placements.
I'm looking to relocate too for my 5.5yr old with autism (we live in JC too) & so far North Valley program been recommended the most, about 9 districts participate in this program.
Unfortunately, North Valley doesn't suit me & my husband given our work locations so we still on look in other counties (Ridgewood & Paramus is on list too).

I've also heard good things about Westfield & Cranford schools and these towns have reasonable access to NYC.

One thing for sure is that you have to get out of JC

All the best!!!
(feel free to PM me in case you need more info).

- Tania

Old 07-15-2015, 02:39 AM

10 posts, read 7,175 times
We are moving from San Jose, CA to New Jersey/New York in Aug/Sept, 2015. My office is in New York City, however, we are planning to stay in New Jersey. Could you please suggest any good school or school district from any one these two locations. My daughter is 9 years old and is high functioning and my son is 6 years and is non verbal. Looking for a school specializing in Mainstreaming and good speech therapy and ABA. Also, I am new to New Jersey, so, if you can provide any information on Regional Center which provides services for autistic kids, respite services, ABA, any advice on staying in New Jersey vs New York, etc. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:05 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,522,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2satyendra View Post
We are moving from San Jose, CA to New Jersey/New York in Aug/Sept, 2015. My office is in New York City, however, we are planning to stay in New Jersey. Could you please suggest any good school or school district from any one these two locations. My daughter is 9 years old and is high functioning and my son is 6 years and is non verbal. Looking for a school specializing in Mainstreaming and good speech therapy and ABA. Also, I am new to New Jersey, so, if you can provide any information on Regional Center which provides services for autistic kids, respite services, ABA, any advice on staying in New Jersey vs New York, etc. Thanks in advance.
With all due respect, I think you are going about this in a rather backwards manner. NJ is very diverse, and a lot of where to live is dependent on where you work. In order to give you truly useful suggestions we really need some further info from you. Please take the time to read this sticky post located at the top of the forum, Questions For Future and Potential Residents and then provide us with your answers to the questions. (and start your own thread on the forum) While you have given some info, you have left out some pretty important info, such as = Are you wanting a SFH, multi family, or a Condo/Townhouse? Housing budget? How far of a commute are you comfortable with? Please be as specific as possible on what you are looking for in a new hometown community. Do you want an urban area?, maybe something suburban, but with a walkable downtown area?, or a more rural/bucolic area? Do you want to be near a a specific type of store? (such as Whole Foods or similar, or are you more of a super Walmart shopper?) Do you want to be near a specific type of religious house of worship? (Mosque, Hindu Temple, Synagogue, AmE, etc) Yes some school districts are better than other with regards to services for those on the spectrum, but NJ has one of the highest rates of Autism in the nation so all districts are familiar with providing the appropriate services.

I am confident that when we forum members have that information, we will be very forthcoming with good suggestions and ideas to suit all of your circumstances, wants/needs etc.ork and your budget.

KoalaNJ

Old 07-16-2015, 07:31 AM

10 posts, read 7,175 times
Dear KoalaNJ,

Thanks for the suggestion. Have started a new thread at

Autism Parents: Good School/School District in New Jersey and New York

Thanks,
Satyendra Kumar

Old 08-28-2015, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,188 times
I am trying to find information on what programs are available or what towns offer good services in Bergen county for a child with high functioning autism. We currently live in Puerto Rico and my 6 years old is currently in homeschooling. His needs small classroom setting consist of 12 kids total (12 typical) and 2 full time teachers. He receive therapy services helping him with speech, OT, adapted PE. Besides the school aspect we are also looking for the community aspect and someplace that will offer him extra curricula activities as well, which we lack now. I have found some old post on the board but, as I know things change with time, I figured I would as once again to see if anyone has any current information or experiences they would like to share. Thank you in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or