Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 09:53 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times

Advertisements

Schedules/Routes (http://www.nywaterway.com/ferry/schedules/ferry-route.asp?ferryid=101 - broken link)
You're right... I didn't know about that one. Maybe it will be more convenient for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 12:08 PM

30 posts, read 112,860 times
FWIW the ferry from belford goes to the WFC[/quote]

How much is the FWIW ferry? And what weekday schedule is it on? Does it have a website I can get more detail? I checked the ferry somebody else mentioned, the fare is $42 round trip daily... Are all ferries from NJ to Manhatann that expensive?

Thanks guys!

Old 01-28-2008, 10:08 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,965,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorlyusa View Post
FWIW the ferry from belford goes to the WFC
How much is the FWIW ferry? And what weekday schedule is it on? Does it have a website I can get more detail? I checked the ferry somebody else mentioned, the fare is $42 round trip daily... Are all ferries from NJ to Manhatann that expensive?

Thanks guys!
all the ferries from monmouth county are expensive, most commuters buy monthly tickets and pay about $650+ a month, ny waterway and seastreak usa are the companies google them for more info

Old 01-29-2008, 09:14 AM

7 posts, read 25,249 times
Default Putting it all in perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorlyusa View Post
FWIW the ferry from belford goes to the WFC

Thanks guys![/quote]

Not all ferries from NJ to NY are that expensive. It depends on the distance. Your original post suggested you might consider living in Manhattan. For you to live in Manhattan, a two bedroom apartment would cost you $5000/month(except Battery Park City I think?). So even if you had to spend 800/month for the ferry it might not be that expensive compared to living in Manhattan.

First determine two things. The kind of environment you want and your after tax monthly cost for housing. Once you determine that you can then position yourself where you want to be. You don't mention whether kids are a factor. It sounds like they are not but if they are it adds a third level of complication.

Once those items are determined, you can find a location. The best location for you is somewhere between roughly Union NJ and West Long Branch NJ along the Garden State Parkway. This would give your husband a reasonable reverse commute on the Parkway and give you reasonable access to Lower Manhattan. And Lower Manhattan is the key for you.

Driving into lower Manhattan is an option financially. The cost is about 30 dollars a day exclusive of Car costs. A better option would be to drive to the Jersey city and take a ferry to WFC. Or drive to Jersey City and take the PATH train. Or Drive to the Light Rail >>> to the Path and then to WFC. Lots of options exist if you stay within the Parkway corridor.

Another option is living in Jersey City or Hoboken. The exodus from Manhattan has skyrocketed the prices there but could fit your needs if you want to consider apartment living. The range of options there is still better than Manhattan.

You can even consider Downtown Brooklyn in NY(Brooklyn Heights and surrounds). Unfortunately, the exodus from Manhattan has skyrocketed housing costs there and would be a little distant for your husband's commute.

Finally, Battery Park City(Lower Manhattan) would be a consideration if apartment living is still a consideration. It's walk to work for you and a possibility for your husband.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:33 PM

119 posts, read 552,911 times
Default Glen Ridge

I have not read all the responses to this post but in case someone hasn't already recommended it, you should look in Glen Ridge. Glen Ridge has top notch schools, is a beautiful town with gas lanterns, and has its own train station with direct 30 minute service into NY Penn Station.

The taxes are high but the schools are great so most people think its worth it.

You could also look into Cranford, Westfield, Clark as they either have a train or are near a train. I'm not sure what your price range is but Westfield would be the best of the three towns.

If you can afford Westfield, you might as well look at Summit too.

Glen Ridge is the closest though and is a very cute town with a great community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey