Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 01:45 PM

27 posts, read 24,879 times

Advertisements

Are there any teachers here who can give me an advice?

I live in NYC but am moving in July.
I am trying to find a teaching job in NJ but none of public schools contacted me so far.
I had an three interviews/demo lessons with private schools (nj and ny) but didn't work out.

I went to NYU and have two master's degree.
One is art education and second is early childhood education + special education.

This will be my first year teaching and it seems like it bothers many admins.
They prefer experienced teachers.
Of course! I understand. I would too.

When do public schools start hiring?
How can I appeal as a first year teacher?
How much is the pay for day care teacher?
Will I ever get a job? :'(

All of my colleagues got a job and I lost all the confidence and hope...

Please share any advices and thoughts about getting a teaching job in NJ........... especially within bergen county because I will be living in palisades park area.

Thank you in advance everyone for your thoughtful responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 01:57 PM

625 posts, read 793,496 times
Sorry to say it is VERY VERY hard to get hired anywhere unless you have a connection within the school district. You may want to consider taking a maturnity leave position with the possibility of it turning into a regular job after.

Your degree from a great school should get you some calls (I would hope). I know there are A LOT of teachers retiring in the Newark school system due to all of the recent changes. What is your certification in? You said your major but, not your certs.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdacunha View Post
Sorry to say it is VERY VERY hard to get hired anywhere unless you have a connection within the school district. You may want to consider taking a maturnity leave position with the possibility of it turning into a regular job after.

Your degree from a great school should get you some calls (I would hope). I know there are A LOT of teachers retiring in the Newark school system due to all of the recent changes. What is your certification in? You said your major but, not your certs.

I still have summer classes until July 2nd and have to wait for school to prove that i graduated from here with degrees.

But I took praxis test and passed for Early childhood education.
Which I am sure that I will be certified with Early childhood education

and special education also. because it does not require praxis exam.

And I don't have connection to any of districts and that is one of my concerns...............

Old 05-27-2015, 07:25 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,084,047 times
I know lots of teachers in NJ and they have told me there is a lot of nepotism in the schools. Just like many other jobs it's all about who you know.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:47 AM

565 posts, read 716,760 times
I moved here from another state, didn't even have NJ certification yet (had applied, but it hadn't come through) and found a job in a very good public school district in less than 2 weeks. In that time period, I managed to get 3 interviews--two at public schools and one at a private school in Manhattan.

You really have to be quite aggressive when looking for a job, and when you have no experience, you need to be willing to work almost anywhere your first year or two. There are *many* charter schools in NJ that you should be applying to as well. Cast your net far and wide--don't just fill out the online applications in each school district--you must then follow up with an email directly to the principal and/or superintendent introducing yourself, giving your qualifications, attach your resume, etc. Apply in lower socioeconomic schools as well--there's much higher teacher turnover there.

You should literally send out 30-40 of those emails. And then yes, as a last resort, start looking for maternity leave replacement jobs. Tenured teachers can take a full year off in NJ for maternity leave, and the school districts will hire someone for the full year--then you get experience and the school district gets to know you.

Good luck!

Old 05-28-2015, 11:49 AM

141 posts, read 242,119 times
It's a Charter school job fair, for NJ/NJ schools, next Saturday in NYC.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:18 PM

57 posts, read 59,490 times
It is very hard to get a teaching job in NJ. On top of that our governor has done nothing but make working in public schools hell. I know you say you are moving but just a reminder in order to work in nj public schools you have to live in nj. I would suggest applying for maternity leave positions and getting a sub license in the towns you want to teach in. Get your face in there and network as most teaching jobs (for public school) depend on who you know. I know having a masters for gen ed elementary actually puts you at a slight disadvantage when you are getting hired because it costs more to pay you then to pay the same person applying for the job with a bachelors degree. However going into special ed is a good idea to have a masters. Also easier to get a job in special ed then a elementary classroom. Keep in mind you should have a passion for special education and not just choose it because its easier to get a job. Special education is a very difficult job to do and without that passion you will be burned out in 3 years.

I would also look into private. The pay is less but you also have a lot less headaches and a lot more freedom in teaching. Catholic schools as well. Be wary of charter schools, very wary.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:20 PM

57 posts, read 59,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post
don't just fill out the online applications in each school district--you must then follow up with an email directly to the principal and/or superintendent introducing yourself, giving your qualifications, attach your resume, etc.
Good advice here too - get your face known.

I did maternity leave jobs and subbed locally for 1 1/2 years in bergen county before i was offered my first teaching job here. During that time i applied to 150 jobs - including other maternity leave and received 4 interviews. Just be aggressive and sub!

Old 05-31-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan89 View Post
It is very hard to get a teaching job in NJ. On top of that our governor has done nothing but make working in public schools hell. I know you say you are moving but just a reminder in order to work in nj public schools you have to live in nj. I would suggest applying for maternity leave positions and getting a sub license in the towns you want to teach in. Get your face in there and network as most teaching jobs (for public school) depend on who you know. I know having a masters for gen ed elementary actually puts you at a slight disadvantage when you are getting hired because it costs more to pay you then to pay the same person applying for the job with a bachelors degree. However going into special ed is a good idea to have a masters. Also easier to get a job in special ed then a elementary classroom. Keep in mind you should have a passion for special education and not just choose it because its easier to get a job. Special education is a very difficult job to do and without that passion you will be burned out in 3 years.

I would also look into private. The pay is less but you also have a lot less headaches and a lot more freedom in teaching. Catholic schools as well. Be wary of charter schools, very wary.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response!!

I applied to many private schools but only one replied and I did interview and demo lesson but was rejected at the end.

And I wonder if catholic schools care if I dont believe in anything...

And what do you mean by be wary of charter schools? A lot of people said I should apply charter schools..

Old 05-31-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post
I moved here from another state, didn't even have NJ certification yet (had applied, but it hadn't come through) and found a job in a very good public school district in less than 2 weeks. In that time period, I managed to get 3 interviews--two at public schools and one at a private school in Manhattan.

You really have to be quite aggressive when looking for a job, and when you have no experience, you need to be willing to work almost anywhere your first year or two. There are *many* charter schools in NJ that you should be applying to as well. Cast your net far and wide--don't just fill out the online applications in each school district--you must then follow up with an email directly to the principal and/or superintendent introducing yourself, giving your qualifications, attach your resume, etc. Apply in lower socioeconomic schools as well--there's much higher teacher turnover there.

You should literally send out 30-40 of those emails. And then yes, as a last resort, start looking for maternity leave replacement jobs. Tenured teachers can take a full year off in NJ for maternity leave, and the school districts will hire someone for the full year--then you get experience and the school district gets to know you.

Good luck!
Thank you!

I started sending emails to principals already and havent heard any yet.

Ugh... I did not know that finding a teaching job is so hard!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: