Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 03:40 PM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydiz1994 View Post
I'm sorry but I completely disagree with this notion that because of Democratic leadership Newark hasn't been able to improve. That is complete non-sense. The reason for that is we just gotta look at what happened after the Newark Riots a majority of the middle class left the city instead of staying to help rebuild. You cannot uplift an entire tax base from a city and leave the city to the people that were economically disenfranchised, with the worst schools, the worst jobs, etc. The uprooting of 200,000 people in around 15 years that were essentially the tax base of the city, the highly educated people is what has gotten Newark to its current state. You know what happens when people leave a town/city jobs follow them out the door. You know what happens when those same people are highly educated high paying jobs leave too. Not saying that the Newark leadership has been free of blame since they play a part in the city spending a long time without investment (that the last 7 years of development won't change, but its a great start in the right direction), but choosing to not look at the massive population decline of the city and leaving it to the poorest people in the city did it no favor. No matter if it is Democratic or Republican leadership that's a difficult situation to get one self out of, and I think Republicans would of had just as tough a chance turning around Newark as the Democrats have. Though, enough with my rant, I'm just happy to see the city is finally turning a corner and is stabilizing in alot of different neighborhoods. Now if we can do something about the West and South Wards.
Dem control since the 1940s, one term of an independant and in 65 years the dems have ridden newark into the ground. Surely one bright democratic light in two generations would be statistically probable but, nope. Newark is a cash sink for Nj taxpayers and voting rights need to be suspended for residents and allow the rest of the state to make selections for them.
How is that 100 mill $ zuckerberg gave newark edu doing?

Well after 65 years of degradation it would take a miracle and require the dismemberment of the dem machinery and their profiteers.

agree a repub would have a hard time turning around 65 years of inbred politcal machhinery and it would require the electorate to open their eyes.

But 65 years and thethe one a month murder rate since the 60s in the face of the strictest gun laws in the nation and no one had a better idea? Those were the good old days.

Unless the people of Newark get together and decide to claen up that town nothing will happen. That action is independant of any economics or politics.

You might want to change Newark's name to Sleepy Hollow and film Groundhog day II in its bloody streets. Whole Foods does nothing to address gangs and drugs the wellspring of violence and lost lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 04:48 AM

115 posts, read 146,270 times
As an aside:

I have looked high and low, and I am UNable to find a mission statement for the city of Newark--which, in my opinion is very telling. (And, if I am overlooking it, please let me know).

Most cities these days tend to have some sort of statement of their mission and vision.... heck, even the city of Camden has a mission statement... and values statement(s)! Which can easily be found on the city's website.

"The mission statement identifies the local government's role in pursuing the community's vision. The mission is often described as the organization's raison d'etre, the core reason for its existence. It is so central to the purpose of an organization..."

From "Strategic Planning for Local Government: 2nd edition"

Given that I am unable to find a mission statement for the city of Newark, it really is not clear what the goals, mission, and vision are of our city officials. Where is the strategic plan? Where is the community input?

I know that there have been several community forums held (on various issues) over the past year, but I would love to see some sort of articulation of a clear mission and vision for the city. Post it on the city's website!... No one can be inspired by something that doesn't exist.

Last edited by madsheb; 07-10-2015 at 05:12 AM..

Old 07-10-2015, 08:50 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
I don't need to read the news or search the internet or read about Newark here to write off Newark as a good place to live.

Newark mirrors Brooklyn in many ways except it's not the back alley of Manhattan. The problem I have with Newark is that, the transportation grid is terrible. I've debated with someone about this weeks ago and it sounded like he was peddling Newark for sure and he doesn't have a clue as how terrible it is to commute around Newark during rush hour.

Newark is at the mercy of NJ Transit and PA. Driving around is a terrible idea as all roads in/out of Newark are gridlocked by stupid dumb red-light that needs tweaking.

As others have pointed out, you judge a NJ city by the number of red-light cameras they have and Newark has the most of any NJ town or city.

Instead of letting the developers have their way with all these dropship condos. Start fixing the roads and traffic lights. Newark needs a high bandwidth road in/out without bottlenecks. It needs Bus hubs and bus only paths. Newark needs to build a direct shuttle to/from Newark Airport, leveraging NJ Transit for airport transportation is a terrible idea.

I don't know how many times I find cruel comedy watching tourists get stuck by NJ Transit delays trying to catch a flight and regret selecting Newark Airport.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:09 AM

882 posts, read 1,670,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't need to read the news or search the internet or read about Newark here to write off Newark as a good place to live.

Newark mirrors Brooklyn in many ways except it's not the back alley of Manhattan. The problem I have with Newark is that, the transportation grid is terrible. I've debated with someone about this weeks ago and it sounded like he was peddling Newark for sure and he doesn't have a clue as how terrible it is to commute around Newark during rush hour.

Newark is at the mercy of NJ Transit and PA. Driving around is a terrible idea as all roads in/out of Newark are gridlocked by stupid dumb red-light that needs tweaking.

As others have pointed out, you judge a NJ city by the number of red-light cameras they have and Newark has the most of any NJ town or city.

Instead of letting the developers have their way with all these dropship condos. Start fixing the roads and traffic lights. Newark needs a high bandwidth road in/out without bottlenecks. It needs Bus hubs and bus only paths. Newark needs to build a direct shuttle to/from Newark Airport, leveraging NJ Transit for airport transportation is a terrible idea.

I don't know how many times I find cruel comedy watching tourists get stuck by NJ Transit delays trying to catch a flight and regret selecting Newark Airport.
This is so true. 21 is a nightmare, the Parkway is terrible. Broad Street is terrible. South Orange Avenue is bad during rush hour. Springfield and Bloomfield Avenues aren't great either. I can take an hour to get from 78 to downtown traveling up 21.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:29 AM

625 posts, read 797,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
This is so true. 21 is a nightmare, the Parkway is terrible. Broad Street is terrible. South Orange Avenue is bad during rush hour. Springfield and Bloomfield Avenues aren't great either. I can take an hour to get from 78 to downtown traveling up 21.

Why not get off at Delancey Street in the Ironbound and go down Chestnut Street or South Street? Another thing you can do is get off by the Port and go down Wilson Avenue.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:48 AM

882 posts, read 1,670,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdacunha View Post
Why not get off at Delancey Street in the Ironbound and go down Chestnut Street or South Street? Another thing you can do is get off by the Port and go down Wilson Avenue.
I usually get off onto Elizabeth and take it to MLK. That's not too bad. If I'm coming in from further north I get off onto MLK from 280, which usually isn't awful. If 280 is backed up Ill just get off on 1st street and take Central. Those aren't too bad, but it took me a while to learn to never go near 21 at rush hour.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:04 AM

225 posts, read 352,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsheb View Post
As an aside:

I have looked high and low, and I am UNable to find a mission statement for the city of Newark--which, in my opinion is very telling. (And, if I am overlooking it, please let me know).

Most cities these days tend to have some sort of statement of their mission and vision.... heck, even the city of Camden has a mission statement... and values statement(s)! Which can easily be found on the city's website.

"The mission statement identifies the local government's role in pursuing the community's vision. The mission is often described as the organization's raison d'etre, the core reason for its existence. It is so central to the purpose of an organization..."

From "Strategic Planning for Local Government: 2nd edition"

Given that I am unable to find a mission statement for the city of Newark, it really is not clear what the goals, mission, and vision are of our city officials. Where is the strategic plan? Where is the community input?

I know that there have been several community forums held (on various issues) over the past year, but I would love to see some sort of articulation of a clear mission and vision for the city. Post it on the city's website!... No one can be inspired by something that doesn't exist.
It sounds like you might be interested in reading Newark's 2012 Master Plan on the Newark Planning Office website. It provides a comprehensive vision for the city's future and as far as master plans go it's very reader friendly. Not a lot of overly technical language and it's very visual with a lot of pictures, maps, and easily understandable graphs/charts. Here is the link:

Master Plans - NPO

Old 07-10-2015, 11:43 AM

115 posts, read 146,270 times
Thanks! I have not yet read the Master Plan, so this is great. However, I am still looking for a mission statement for the CITY OF NEWARK. Something like this (which is the mission and the vision statement for the city of Camden: http://www.ci.camden.nj.us/vision-mission-statements/):

Vision

To transform Camden into a city that is linked to its people by responsive service systems, state of the art technology and accountable decision making processes.

Mission Statement

To serve and build Camden’s diverse community by:

Effectively, efficiently, and equitably enhancing residents quality of life; attracting private investment; stimulating growth city-wide; and delivering services with a commitment to excellence.

Most municipalities nowadays have a mission statement--posted publically on their website, or on bonds, or on other public documents. I have yet to find an actual mission statement for the city of Newark. What are we striving toward? What is the ultimate goal?

Thanks again, though! I will take a look at the Master Plan soon!

Old 07-10-2015, 12:35 PM

225 posts, read 352,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsheb View Post
Thanks! I have not yet read the Master Plan, so this is great. However, I am still looking for a mission statement for the CITY OF NEWARK. Something like this (which is the mission and the vision statement for the city of Camden: http://www.ci.camden.nj.us/vision-mission-statements/):

Vision

To transform Camden into a city that is linked to its people by responsive service systems, state of the art technology and accountable decision making processes.

Mission Statement

To serve and build Camden’s diverse community by:

Effectively, efficiently, and equitably enhancing residents quality of life; attracting private investment; stimulating growth city-wide; and delivering services with a commitment to excellence.

Most municipalities nowadays have a mission statement--posted publically on their website, or on bonds, or on other public documents. I have yet to find an actual mission statement for the city of Newark. What are we striving toward? What is the ultimate goal?

Thanks again, though! I will take a look at the Master Plan soon!
Yeah, I understand what you mean but I don't know if mission statements are all that common for larger cities. I've seen mission statements for townships but I'm not sure how relevant it is for a city like Newark. Out of curiosity I looked up "New York City mission statement" and couldn't find anything. I saw mission statements for individual departments but nothing for the city as a whole. I don't think a lack of a mission statement is a tell tale sign that a city is in trouble.

The title page of the master plan has the following quote: "Newark will set a national standard for urban transformation by marshaling its tremendous resources to achieve security, economic abundance, and an environment that is nurturing and empowering for families." Sounds like a pretty good mission statement to me.

The fact that Camden has a mission statement doesn't really mean anything. It's a nice thing to have on a website but at the end of the day it doesn't really do anything. Camden isn't really the example that Newark should strive to follow anyway. Personally I like Camden, and long term I think the city will improve. Camden has a lot of positive resources at its disposal, particularly its access to Philadelphia and its growing university presence. That being said, if we're just talking about the current status of each city, Newark is better off than Camden and it's not even close.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:48 PM

56 posts, read 52,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Dem control since the 1940s, one term of an independant and in 65 years the dems have ridden newark into the ground. Surely one bright democratic light in two generations would be statistically probable but, nope. Newark is a cash sink for Nj taxpayers and voting rights need to be suspended for residents and allow the rest of the state to make selections for them.
How is that 100 mill $ zuckerberg gave newark edu doing?

Well after 65 years of degradation it would take a miracle and require the dismemberment of the dem machinery and their profiteers.

agree a repub would have a hard time turning around 65 years of inbred politcal machhinery and it would require the electorate to open their eyes.

But 65 years and thethe one a month murder rate since the 60s in the face of the strictest gun laws in the nation and no one had a better idea? Those were the good old days.

Unless the people of Newark get together and decide to claen up that town nothing will happen. That action is independant of any economics or politics.

You might want to change Newark's name to Sleepy Hollow and film Groundhog day II in its bloody streets. Whole Foods does nothing to address gangs and drugs the wellspring of violence and lost lives.
First and foremost, Newark has always been led by "liberal" leadership. I put quotation marks around that because our idea of liberal is different then it was a hundred years ago. For example, the party that controlled Newark before the 40s was the Republican party, but the Republican party before that time was actually the liberal party, they stood in contrast to the modern version. Hell, Abe Lincoln wouldn't recognize his own party if he was alive today.
The last time the state suspended local input on anything in the city was control over the school system, how did that turn out? Yeah it's been a mess. You can't just suspend voting rights for a group of people because you do not agree with their decisions. Do you live in their communities, do you know what issues the people face? I expect you don't. But great idea let's just make s whole community that already feels socially and economically isolated also politically isolated.
I do agree the people of the city need to come together to change the current culture, especially in the south and west ward where the majority of the crimes happen.
As for Whole Foods, it may not be the be all end all of Newark problems, but you fail to see the big picture. What Whole Foods does show is that the city is redeveloping and getting reinvestment that the city wasn't getting for decades because of redlining. Whole Foods isn't just announcing its coming and that it will be the only business moving into the city, but its one of the more higher profile businesses coming in. It shows that the city is getting jobs that it badly needs, getting businesses that want to move there, and that these businesses believe that the current redevelopment of Newark is attracting enough new residents with disposable income. If you haven't noticed having jobs can play a big part in keeping people out of the criminal element and adds tax payers which can add to more cops being hired, thus Whole Food and all the new development like the world's largest vertical farm in the Ironbound indirectly helps the city combat those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey