Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 08:10 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,290,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonali View Post
We are potentially moving from outside of Boston and while it's expensive to live here, I know it in no way compares to NJ/NYC.

Would a $500k/year salary in NYC be sufficient for a family of 4 to live in NJ for the following:

- Excellent public schools
- ~1 hour commute into Manhattan
- Ability to get at least a 2,000 sq/ft house (minimum 4 bed, 2 bath) with a yard

I've been searching threads and looking at real estate but am still a but lost as to what it will actually take. The property tax aspect alone scares me!

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Without question.

That said, you will not be living the ultimate high-life, maximum lifestyle, unlimited, etc., in Saddle River, Alpine, etc. You won't be buying a multi-million dollar home with a maximum mortgage.

However, you can certainly live in a beautiful, upscale, affluent community, in a home larger than 2000 sq. feet, well within a one hour commute to/from NYC, with excellent public schools, or even private school options...on $500k per year.

Start number crunching. Sit down with an expert, truly qualified, top notch financial advisor. Same with a CPA. Look at what a house will cost, the down payment, the mortgage, taxes, and so on. Make smart decisions and you will be more than fine.

Good luck and all the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 09:08 AM

538 posts, read 733,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
Without question.

That said, you will not be living the ultimate high-life, maximum lifestyle, unlimited, etc., in Saddle River, Alpine, etc. You won't be buying a multi-million dollar home with a maximum mortgage.
Unless you're part of the oligarchy, sure there's always someone with more, and $500K isn't going to buy you a yacht with dual helipads. That said, you'd be 2%er and less than 10K off of being a 1%er. So if you're not living comfortably pretty much anywhere something has gone dreadfully wrong!

Old 06-18-2015, 09:15 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,322,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonali View Post
We are potentially moving from outside of Boston and while it's expensive to live here, I know it in no way compares to NJ/NYC.

Would a $500k/year salary in NYC be sufficient for a family of 4 to live in NJ for the following:

- Excellent public schools
- ~1 hour commute into Manhattan
- Ability to get at least a 2,000 sq/ft house (minimum 4 bed, 2 bath) with a yard

I've been searching threads and looking at real estate but am still a but lost as to what it will actually take. The property tax aspect alone scares me!

Thanks in advance for any insight.
If you're the sole provider could be tough. But there are spots where you could make it work and if you're willing to cut back in certain areas.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:21 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
The answer is definitely yes. but, if a person is asking if $500k/yr is enough to have those things, I would be led to assume that they may not be that good with money, so maybe the answer is no. while Halffull was a tad mean, he's also not wrong. When i read the OP i immediately thought it was a trolling post.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
If you're the sole provider could be tough. But there are spots where you could make it work and if you're willing to cut back in certain areas.
what areas would you recommend someone making $500,000/yr cut back on to be able to make it not "tough"?

Old 06-18-2015, 09:35 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
what areas would you recommend someone making $500,000/yr cut back on to be able to make it not "tough"?
How about eating out one night less per week is enough.

He has the salary of the 8%, title is complete trollbait.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
How about eating out one night less per week is enough.

He has the salary of the 8%, title is complete trollbait.
eating out 6 nights at Peter Luger's, via limo service, instead of 7?

Old 06-18-2015, 09:43 AM

357 posts, read 1,026,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Depending on what you are spending on your house there might not be much leftover for private school. Pingry is $35K/year x 2 kids that's $70K. $500K is really $350K after taxes. Take out 20% savings toward retirement and you are at $250K. Figure a $1MM home will carry monthyl payment of about $7K including property taxes(That's $84K/yr plus maintenance is almost $100K). Now you are down to $150K. Spending half your money on Private school when you have access to Public schools that are almost equal in stature seems silly.
Maybe, maybe not. Take a look at college placement at Delby vs Ridgewood.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:45 AM

255 posts, read 455,649 times
If 500K wasn't enough, this state would be a lot less crowded. Clearly, the OP either lives in a bubble or is yanking our chains.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:50 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoapie View Post
Maybe, maybe not. Take a look at college placement at Delby vs Ridgewood.
I'm just anti private as long as there are high performing public options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey