Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 09:10 AM

11,299 posts, read 16,597,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
you do realize, if you play for the Yankees, you play 81 games in NY state and you pay taxes on those 81 games to NY state. when you play in Ohio, you pay taxes to Ohio. And so on and so forth....right?
..and you get a credit from NJ...it's a wash. The same as anyone working in NY and living in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 09:18 AM

380 posts, read 603,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
People getting offended on this page over nothing, maybe it was a troll post or maybe it was not but 500k while a ton of money a year isn't that offensive to ask a question. Making a lot of money a year does not mean you know anything about finance and that yearly salary is guaranteed for life and OP might not know how to manage their money.
I completely agree here. I was never offended. Making money and managing money are not the same thing--plenty of famous broke people are evidence of this.

Additionally, this is a high COL area and OP has 4 kids, its not like he was asking if 500K is enough to feed himself, he wants a nice home, good community, decent schools, all things that are not cheap. The fact is, at 500K a year and with 4 kids, he couldn't get a 2000 sq ft house in the prime areas of Manhattan-he is priced out. If he said 5 million year, I would call OP a troll, but I didn't think this thread was unreasonable.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:39 AM

18,417 posts, read 15,145,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmc400 View Post
I completely agree here. I was never offended. Making money and managing money are not the same thing--plenty of famous broke people are evidence of this.

Additionally, this is a high COL area and OP has 4 kids, its not like he was asking if 500K is enough to feed himself, he wants a nice home, good community, decent schools, all things that are not cheap. The fact is, at 500K a year and with 4 kids, he couldn't get a 2000 sq ft house in the prime areas of Manhattan-he is priced out. If he said 5 million year, I would call OP a troll, but I didn't think this thread was unreasonable.
I only found it comical because most people that make over $500k know the reaction they will get by asking such a question to the general public. That's why I think it might be a troll post.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:00 AM

380 posts, read 603,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I only found it comical because most people that make over $500k know the reaction they will get by asking such a question to the general public. That's why I think it might be a troll post.
Agreed. OP probably could have worded it better too, ie ask what's possible at 500K a year instead of inquiring whether its "sufficient" as indicated in title of the thread, which will obviously invite claims of trolling.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:09 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,645,452 times
Quote:
Agreed. OP probably could have worded it better too, ie ask what's possible at 500K a year instead of inquiring whether its "sufficient" as indicated in title of the thread, which will obviously invite claims of trolling.
Which begs the question, who cares if they are trolling? Is a fake question any less entertaining to sound off on than a real one?

Old 06-19-2015, 10:11 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,925,853 times
btw: the ops Other two post look real, talks about schooling for her Special Ed Child, and Schools in the Boston area 2 years ago.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:20 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,951,240 times
Quote:

But the question was NOT about Manhattan...

Old 06-19-2015, 10:51 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,346,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I also find it comical that he is asking the question. Seems like a troll post to me. But at the same time, I think most people think that $500k goes a lot farther than it does. I know I did at one time in my life, so it doesn't surprise me that others do as well. At the same time, I don't think it's right to complain about it when so many others make so much less, but that doesn't mean that you are not quietly begrudging the government for taking so much money from you every year.
Kiplinger or Money magazine did a great article years ago about how people of all income levels end up in massive amounts of debt. I make my household income go pretty far and enjoy quite a few luxuries. If my household income was $500K, the government taking 30ish % of the income beyond $250 (or whatever that tier starts at) would hardly make my top 50 list of concerns while i enjoyed substantially more evenings out at Peter Luger's.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpf723 View Post
Despite that risk, I'd still venture to guess most households w/ children would prefer a single $500k income w/ stay at home wife (or husband) vs dual income at $250k each with both parents working.
maybe. i'd be far more comfortable with the dual income. people forget that a stay at home parent only matters until kindergarten/1st grade. it's one thing if one parent is making $35,000/yr and you're paying for daycare or aftercare ($12,000+ per year). but if both are making >$75,000, it's not really all that beneficial to stay home for financial reasons. also, even if we did make enough for one of us to comfortably stay home, my kids would still be in daycare for the various benefits of it.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
People getting offended on this page over nothing, maybe it was a troll post or maybe it was not but 500k while a ton of money a year isn't that offensive to ask a question. Making a lot of money a year does not mean you know anything about finance and that yearly salary is guaranteed for life and OP might not know how to manage their money.
if you think the responses here are rough, you should try posing this question on the personal finance page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey