Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 12:28 PM

3 posts, read 3,395 times

Advertisements

22 years ago my girlfriend moved into my apartment with me. She had lost her apartment and left her job due to being sexually harassed by her boss. She lived with me, unemployed, while she went to therapy and sued him and his company. When the case concluded, she wanted to move out of my place. Because I had good credit, she begged me to sign a lease for an apartment so she could live in another city, with her agreement to pay the rent. We remained friends all these years but I never lived there one day. After 20 yrs of her faithfully paying the rent, the rental company somehow discovered I did not live there, and they evicted her at the end of May 2015. They refused to accept her final month's rent money order and sent it back to her, and want to contact me. I had moved out of her state and across the country in 2013, and am unemployed, so I can't afford to attend any court proceedings in her state. The money orders are filled out already in her handwriting with her as the Purchaser, and the landlord's name is listed as Pay To The Order Of. So I can't cash them in and sign new money orders, so now I am liable to pay her rent out of my own meager savings. As a further insult, she sent the returned filled-out money orders to me, and she is ducking me now, and will not reply to texts or phone calls. What can the landlord legally to do me as punishment? I realize now that I was illegally subletting the apartment, although she was forging my name as the "Purchaser" on money orders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 01:16 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,863,697 times
Call a lawyer, talk to them, and see what your actual legal advice is. It shouldn't cost a dime to talk over the problem, but you need to get actual legal advice to see how you can limit your liability on paying rent for someone who isn't helping you out.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:36 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,346 times
20 years!?! And are you sure there isn't more to the story? No landlord would evict a tenant who has been paying rent regularly over 20 years.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:18 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,678,653 times
You know, you CAN get your money back on a money order. Just do a search on "money order how to refund". I have done it myself twice, just recently.

And...I have to agree with davenj08.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:20 PM

380 posts, read 607,214 times
I second getting a lawyer. This is probably not the type of advice you want to get from an internet message board.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:35 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,138,851 times
This story doesn't make any sense (or something is missing). Why would a rental company care who is living in the apartment as long as they are getting the rent paid, and for 20 years no less. If this woman had stopped paying rent then you would ultimately be responsible for the payments as it's your name on the lease.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:43 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,029,976 times
I wouldn't pay.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:38 PM

747 posts, read 846,759 times
Smells fishy

Old 06-24-2015, 12:28 AM

10,409 posts, read 6,946,810 times
A few things are missing here...

Old 06-24-2015, 11:55 AM

3 posts, read 3,395 times
Thank you all for replying to my problem. Something is fishy, that's why I'm asking for advice! How did they discover I don't live there? She won't answer me. So how do I know what really happened? I'm too broke for a lawyer unless it's Legal Aid... But the thing is, why would they suddenly want to throw her out? She said they were very offensive in how they told her in person, then suddenly the same guy ran into her two weeks later coincidentally right outside her apartment, walking his dog. Suddenly he was all apologetic about how they treated her, claiming the company is corrupt. (I went on Apartment Review.com and that is what tenants say about the place.) Anyway, if a corrupt company is suddenly real interested in me and DOESN'T WANT THE MONEY FROM HER, something is scary about all that to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey