Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 02:16 PM

8 posts, read 12,862 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I'm from Brazil, and I will probably be relocated to NYC to work at Times Square. I'm 36, married, with a 1 yr and 3 months son, and my wife does not work.

I will probably make something around 170k a year, and was looking for a good neighborhood to live in. I do not want to live in Manhattan because in my opinion, it is not a great place to raise my son. I was looking for a quiet, safe, good schools and affordable neighborhood, within 1 hour commute from Times Square driving or drive + public transportation.

I would love to live in a single family house, with a backyard, and plenty of space.

I've been looking on Zillow, and found some interest houses around Paramus (NJ). Is that too far?

For a guy making 170k, how much would be an average rent? 3k? 3,5k?

So sorry for so many questions, but I just want to make the appropriate choice.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 02:50 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
I think you could probably get something in the range of 2.5k to 3.5k.

Since your son is so young, I wouldn't be too concerned about schools yet. Finding a good place that is convenient will let you get to know the are, then you could move before he enters school.

Rutherford is a town that I like that would be a convenient location for you as well.

realtor.com also is a decent resource for rental search.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:52 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,452,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellegrino View Post
Hi all!

I'm from Brazil, and I will probably be relocated to NYC to work at Times Square. I'm 36, married, with a 1 yr and 3 months son, and my wife does not work.

I will probably make something around 170k a year, and was looking for a good neighborhood to live in. I do not want to live in Manhattan because in my opinion, it is not a great place to raise my son. I was looking for a quiet, safe, good schools and affordable neighborhood, within 1 hour commute from Times Square driving or drive + public transportation.

I would love to live in a single family house, with a backyard, and plenty of space.

I've been looking on Zillow, and found some interest houses around Paramus (NJ). Is that too far?

For a guy making 170k, how much would be an average rent? 3k? 3,5k?

So sorry for so many questions, but I just want to make the appropriate choice.

Thanks in advance!
I think it would be a very good idea if you were to take the time to read this thread about living in NJ and commuting into NYC. I think we need a new sticky.... ;) Once you are more familiar with the realities, please see this thread, Questions For Future and Potential Residents and kindly provide us with your responses. It is especially good if you can be s detailed as possible in describing what you are looking for in a new community. Are you wanting a more urban environment, with a walkable downtown? Or are you seeking a Suburban bedroom community. Perhaps you are wanting something bucolic and rural. Are you an hiker/mountain biker/outdoors lover, or someone who prefers to stick to sidewalks? The more specific details you can give us the better we can tailor our suggestions to truly meet your needs. I am confident that the many dedicated forum members will be happy to share their expertise and experience with you to help you find a wonderful new hometown community.

KoalaNJ

Last edited by KoalaNJ; 06-25-2015 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: add link that did not take the 1st time.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:54 PM

66 posts, read 166,848 times
Would you be interested in buying or are you simply renting for the time being?

Paramus sounds like a good pick if you're planning on driving into Times Square. Probably shouldn't take more than an hour unless there's a terrible accident of some sort on one of the highways going into the city. It can get busy at times during the holiday season and Saturdays since there's three malls in town, but if you live on a side street things are quiet for the most part. (I would advise to stay north of Rt. 4 to get away from some of the traffic that comes with Paramus). What's nice with Paramus is there is easy access to highways (Rt. 17, Rt. 4, and Garden State Pkwy), the schools are well regarded, and the taxes are low by North Jersey standards. Unfortunately, there is no train in town but there are busses that go into the city. The closest towns with train stations are Ridgewood, Glen Rock, and Fair Lawn (Radburn) if you live on the west side of town and Oradell or River Edge if you live on the east side of town.

Rutherford, as another poster (HalfFull) mentioned above is another good pick. It's closer to the city than Paramus and there's a train station in town that will take you into the city with just one transfer. There's also a nice downtown area (Park Ave.) and the town does various "family friendly" events throughout the year. The housing stock on Rutherford is on the older side with many of the homes on smaller sized lots than what you would find in Paramus. The schools however, are also very good.

I suggest you also take a look into Fair Lawn, specifically the Radburn section (located in the northeastern part of Fair Lawn). This neighborhood is home to many parks and family activities. Additionally, this neighborhood has its own pool and tennis courts. Also, the school district is very good and you would be close to the Radburn train station, which will get you into the city in under an hour. (There is one transfer however-the Radburn train station is on the same line as the one in Rutherford). You will also be close to highways like Rt. 4, Rt. 17, the Garden State Pkwy, and Rt. 208. The website www.radburn.org will give you more information on this unique neighborhood.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:35 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,747,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural_urban View Post
Would you be interested in buying or are you simply renting for the time being?

Paramus sounds like a good pick if you're planning on driving into Times Square. Probably shouldn't take more than an hour unless there's a terrible accident of some sort on one of the highways going into the city. It can get busy at times during the holiday season and Saturdays since there's three malls in town, but if you live on a side street things are quiet for the most part. (I would advise to stay north of Rt. 4 to get away from some of the traffic that comes with Paramus). What's nice with Paramus is there is easy access to highways (Rt. 17, Rt. 4, and Garden State Pkwy), the schools are well regarded, and the taxes are low by North Jersey standards. Unfortunately, there is no train in town but there are busses that go into the city. The closest towns with train stations are Ridgewood, Glen Rock, and Fair Lawn (Radburn) if you live on the west side of town and Oradell or River Edge if you live on the east side of town.

Rutherford, as another poster (HalfFull) mentioned above is another good pick. It's closer to the city than Paramus and there's a train station in town that will take you into the city with just one transfer. There's also a nice downtown area (Park Ave.) and the town does various "family friendly" events throughout the year. The housing stock on Rutherford is on the older side with many of the homes on smaller sized lots than what you would find in Paramus. The schools however, are also very good.

I suggest you also take a look into Fair Lawn, specifically the Radburn section (located in the northeastern part of Fair Lawn). This neighborhood is home to many parks and family activities. Additionally, this neighborhood has its own pool and tennis courts. Also, the school district is very good and you would be close to the Radburn train station, which will get you into the city in under an hour. (There is one transfer however-the Radburn train station is on the same line as the one in Rutherford). You will also be close to highways like Rt. 4, Rt. 17, the Garden State Pkwy, and Rt. 208. The website www.radburn.org will give you more information on this unique neighborhood.
Um i definitely wouldnt recommend driving into Times Square on a daily basis during rush hour.

Bus to port authority will bring you right there. So as long as you find a decent bus route you are good to go. Or along one of the train lines you can get to penn station and walk. But like Koala said, we do need a little more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey