Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 05:56 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
NYC has this law. To be in the NYPD or FDNY you have to be a NYC or NY resident (most are NYC residents, some Long Island and Westchester). So someone living 2 minutes away in Hoboken (not quite literally 2 minutes away, but under 10 via PATH and literally right across the river) cannot be a NYC cop or fireman.

I think to be PAPD you have to be a resident or either NY or NJ, too.

Also - you want to stop visiting NJ because of this? How exactly does this affect you? Assuming you're not from NYC or NY (if you are this makes you a total hypocrite), will you also stop visiting NYC? And unless you're a cop, why does this affect your decision to move here that much?
No, didn't say I wanted to stop visiting....

My main concern are the officers, of course since I've known a few throughout my lifetime, and since all this cop-hater stuff has magnified...I think an officer should be allowed to live where they want to....and it was always known to me, that many officers lived out of the juristiction they work in just to play it safe for their families and themselves...chances are nothing would ever happen, but you just don't know, due to all the crazies out there....and there are a lot now...

My friend owned a motel at the Jersey shore, and the last few years they were there, they noticed a huge change in the morals of people visiting that shore point...

there are always pros and cons to each law...however, this is simply my opinion....
I sat on a board of directors, once, where the majority of people on that board were older retired folks...and the laws they came up with for the community, were sometimes insane....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 08:56 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,426,515 times
I also think this is ridiculous.

Around me we have areas where you can not afford housing on a Cop's salary. And we also have areas where you would not want your kids to grow up.

So you buy a house and then when you switch jobs your have to sell the house and buy a new one in different town?

This law sucks.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
I also think this is ridiculous.

Around me we have areas where you can not afford housing on a Cop's salary. And we also have areas where you would not want your kids to grow up.

So you buy a house and then when you switch jobs your have to sell the house and buy a new one in different town?

This law sucks.
me to, just b/c your a police officer, doesn't mean the community owns you and can tell you where you should live, just doesn't make any sense to me. Sure its nice to have police officers living in your area...
but to make it a law, takes their rights away and the protective ability for their families.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:09 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
No, didn't say I wanted to stop visiting....

My main concern are the officers, of course since I've known a few throughout my lifetime, and since all this cop-hater stuff has magnified...I think an officer should be allowed to live where they want to....and it was always known to me, that many officers lived out of the juristiction they work in just to play it safe for their families and themselves...chances are nothing would ever happen, but you just don't know, due to all the crazies out there....and there are a lot now...

My friend owned a motel at the Jersey shore, and the last few years they were there, they noticed a huge change in the morals of people visiting that shore point...

there are always pros and cons to each law...however, this is simply my opinion....
I sat on a board of directors, once, where the majority of people on that board were older retired folks...and the laws they came up with for the community, were sometimes insane....?
I don't agree with the law, either. In my town, a lot of the cops also live here, but that's because it's a nice, safe town and many of the cops here grew up here and have never left. For the middle to upper middle class towns in NJ, it's safe to say at least some of the force lives in the town they serve. But for people serving in Newark or Camden or AC or even a place like Elizabeth, I wouldn't wish being forced to live there on anyone.

By this logic, teachers should be forced to live in the districts they teach. What's the difference, really? Same with firefighters, paramedics, etc.

It should definitely be a choice.

As for the Jersey shore comment, not sure how this is relevant. I agree that some areas are on the downswing (I think Seaside Heights had started to improve just before Jersey Shore came on and since then, it's been sh*tty again, I also think Point Pleasant Beach is kind of on the downswing IMHO). Some areas have just been turned into party locations. People getting too drunk, too messy. It's ruining certain areas.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I don't agree with the law, either. In my town, a lot of the cops also live here, but that's because it's a nice, safe town and many of the cops here grew up here and have never left. For the middle to upper middle class towns in NJ, it's safe to say at least some of the force lives in the town they serve. But for people serving in Newark or Camden or AC or even a place like Elizabeth, I wouldn't wish being forced to live there on anyone.

By this logic, teachers should be forced to live in the districts they teach. What's the difference, really? Same with firefighters, paramedics, etc.

It should definitely be a choice.

As for the Jersey shore comment, not sure how this is relevant. I agree that some areas are on the downswing (I think Seaside Heights had started to improve just before Jersey Shore came on and since then, it's been sh*tty again, I also think Point Pleasant Beach is kind of on the downswing IMHO). Some areas have just been turned into party locations. People getting too drunk, too messy. It's ruining certain areas.
the shore comment well, I was thinking out loud....sorry, it just makes me sad to see Pt. Pleasant, go down....it had always been a wonderful family town, and yes, your right, has nothing to do with this thread...sorry....

Old 07-27-2015, 10:46 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
the shore comment well, I was thinking out loud....sorry, it just makes me sad to see Pt. Pleasant, go down....it had always been a wonderful family town, and yes, your right, has nothing to do with this thread...sorry....
No it's fine! I was just wondering if there was a connection.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
No it's fine! I was just wondering if there was a connection.
Since a child, we were at the shore every weekend, and then continued when my son was small, until about 5 years ago...we'd go to all shore points....love LBI, and Cape May the most....but the others also have a special significance all on their own....at different times in my life, like Tony Mart's and Bay Shores and then we'd all go over to the Dunes....lol (I'm showing my age)

Old 07-28-2015, 02:21 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,808,029 times
Maybe if the in-town police had metrics in contributing to a role in community team building, volunteering, awareness & education, and knowing the locals better (building personal relationships, not aggression), I could see this being an OK thing.

But something tells me this law is for motivation of higher salaries & pensions with no actual "giving back" to where they work.

"Sure its nice to have police officers living in your area...
but to make it a law, takes their rights away and the protective ability for their families."

Which is another draw back when you think about it. If a cop becomes a widespread prick and aggressive local taxpayers get offended it could lead to things like property damage and vandalism -- to take it to an extreme. Just seems like another utterly ridiculous NJ law.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:18 PM

831 posts, read 2,437,330 times
I found it extremely difficult to grow up in the town where my father was a police officer. He was a tough cop and had a reputation with the kids. The parents all loved him because he was the type of person who brought the kid home instead of locking them up. We would get calls in the middle of the night from parents asking for him to come to their home to help with a situation with their out of control teenager. Parents would ask for his help to take their child to rehab. This was obviously years ago and times have changed. IMO I don't see this type of policing any more. I don't see the young officers showing any respect to the local town people.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
Maybe if the in-town police had metrics in contributing to a role in community team building, volunteering, awareness & education, and knowing the locals better (building personal relationships, not aggression), I could see this being an OK thing.

But something tells me this law is for motivation of higher salaries & pensions with no actual "giving back" to where they work.

"Sure its nice to have police officers living in your area...
but to make it a law, takes their rights away and the protective ability for their families."

Which is another draw back when you think about it. If a cop becomes a widespread prick and aggressive local taxpayers get offended it could lead to things like property damage and vandalism -- to take it to an extreme. Just seems like another utterly ridiculous NJ law.
do you give back to your place of work? I did years ago, but don't any longer, reason being, I'm going to retire soon, and also, b/c I have become very selfish with my time/its a busier world.

My son is an officer, he works a lot of overtime, and he doesn't get paid very much at all...but his life is very busy, between his family and work...so? What I'm saying, he doesn't have the time to give back on his off time, he owns a farm, and there are animals to care for, grounds to mow, etc....

It isn't the world it used to be...we're all very busy, and if an officer wants to give back, fine, but you shouldn't expect it....and officers certainly should receive better salaries...they put their lives on the line...they deal with the scum of the earth....and what they see, most of us couldn't take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey