Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 09:25 AM

14 posts, read 33,023 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I have been doing some decluttering around my home, and found I have a number of household electronics and electronic waste that I need to dispose of safely (I have already donated working things to Goodwill).

For example, an old iron that causes rust stains on clothes, old electronic toothbrushes (which I cannot seem to remove the battery no matter how I pry and twist at the bottom), old CDs, CD jewel cases, etc.

Does anyone know where I can drop these items off for recycling, or at least, proper disposal? I'm located in Northern NJ. When I try to google this, I end up at dead links, links to recycling centers in California, or places that only want working computers/printers (which is not what I have).

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 09:40 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,092,370 times
All the stuff you mention can just go in the garbage. Nobody is going to recycle an iron or electronic toothbrush. If you have items like old TV's or DVD players you can drop them off at Best Buy.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:51 AM

5,767 posts, read 16,510,970 times
Many times your town and often your county holds electronic recycling days usually on a Saturday where you can drop items off. Check the website for your county or town recycling. Mostly the old chargeable batteries need to be properly dealt with. There's also a private company Rockaway Recycling where you can drop stuff off but depends on where you are as far as convenience.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:59 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,944,329 times
Your town and county will both most likely have electronics recycling programs/schedules/drop off centers.

Your profile says you are in 07424, which is either Woodland Park or Little Falls (not sure), which is Passaic County.

However, I just saw another thread where you say you are in Montclair (Essex County).

Below is the info for all those locations.

As for those CDs and jewel cases...those can't be recycled, as far as I know. Your best bet is to put them up on Craigslist or FreeCycle.org. I see a post right now on FreeCycle in search of "CDs of any kind":

https://groups.freecycle.org/group/wayne/posts/all

MONTCLAIR:

Recycling Information

Quote:
INFORMATION ABOUT RECYCLING OF SPECIFIC HOUSEHOLD AND GARDEN ITEMS:

[SNIP]

BATTERIES:
Standard alkaline batteries (AA, AAA, C, D or 9-volt) are NOT acceptable for recycling in Montclair. These batteries may be discarded with household refuse. Other batteries, such as rechargeable Ni-Cad, Ni-MH and Li-ion used in small electronics, are considered household hazardous waste and may NOT be discarded with household refuse. These items must be brought to the Essex County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day – call 973-857-2350, ext. 140 for more information). Rechargeable batteries may also be brought to the Radio Shack, 1 Lackawanna Plaza, Montclair.

[SNIP]

ELECTRONICS:
The Department of Community Services has added electronics and computer equipment to the list of materials accepted at the Recycling Drop-Off Center on Wednesdays and Fridays 2:00pm – 4:00pm and Saturday from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. The DCS yard is located at 219 N. Fullerton Avenue.

Items accepted: include: central processing units(CPUs), circuit boards, disc drives, integrated circuits (ICs), mainframes, modems, monitors, printers, processors, tape drives, telephone systems, wire & cables, cell phones, VCR/CD/DVD players, cell phones, radios, televisions (no big-screens or consoles), laptops, keyboards, mice, stereos, camcorders, electronic games, microwave ovens, vacuum cleaners, toasters, blenders, and lamps (bulbs removed).

The electronics and computer equipment drop-off will be open to residents only - electronics/computer equipment will not be accepted from businesses.
For further information concerning the Township of Montclair’s computer and electronics recycling program, please call 973-509-5711.

ESSEX COUNTY UTILITIES AUTHORITY, Electronics/Household Hazardous Recycling events:

ECUA: News and Events

125 Fairview Avenue (next to Old Hospital Center)
Cedar Grove, NJ 07009

October 3: Household Hazardous waste:
Household Hazardous Waste List

October 17: Electronics:
Essex County’s Computer & Electronics Recycling List

LITTLE FALLS:

Welcome to The Township of Little Falls, NJ

Quote:
ELECTRONICS - Computers, monitors, components, telephones, VCRs, DVD players, stereos, TVs, etc. may be dropped off at the recycling center. Residents may also schedule a pick-up of these items by calling (973) 256-6815. There is a $5.00 fee to pick up TVs larger than 35 inches and/or console TVs.
Sindle Ave. Recycling Center hours:

http://www.lfnj.com/pdf//Little_Fall...g_Brochure.pdf

WOODLAND PARK:

http://www.wpnj.us/depts.html#DPW

Department of Public Works
Recycling Center Telephone: 973-256-2596

PASSAIC COUNTY Office of Recycling (973-305-5738)

Passaic County, NJ - Official Website - Recycling & Natural Resources

Old 07-06-2015, 11:09 AM

14 posts, read 33,023 times
Thank you so much captne76 and Docendo discimus! Thanks especially for the link to ECUA.

(oops, I'm in Montclair now. I forgot to update my zip code when I moved from Little Falls to Montclair).

Looks like I'm headed to 219 N Fullerton this Saturday!
Quote:
ELECTRONICS:
The Department of Community Services has added electronics and computer equipment to the list of materials accepted at the Recycling Drop-Off Center on Wednesdays and Fridays 2:00pm – 4:00pm and Saturday from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. The DCS yard is located at 219 N. Fullerton Avenue.

Items accepted: include: central processing units(CPUs), circuit boards, disc drives, integrated circuits (ICs), mainframes, modems, monitors, printers, processors, tape drives, telephone systems, wire & cables, cell phones, VCR/CD/DVD players, cell phones, radios, televisions (no big-screens or consoles), laptops, keyboards, mice, stereos, camcorders, electronic games, microwave ovens, vacuum cleaners, toasters, blenders, and lamps (bulbs removed).

The electronics and computer equipment drop-off will be open to residents only - electronics/computer equipment will not be accepted from businesses.
For further information concerning the Township of Montclair’s computer and electronics recycling program, please call 973-509-5711.
Thanks again!! So happy this stuff won't go directly to a landfill (I guess there's always a chance part of it will still end up there, but it's better to at least try, I think!)

Old 07-06-2015, 11:17 AM

88,083 posts, read 83,946,203 times
07424, which is either Woodland Park or Little Falls

It is the zip for both towns. I used to live there, and the post office was the West Paterson branch P.O. of Little Falls (before that ridiculous name change.)

Old 06-06-2016, 12:39 AM

130 posts, read 146,541 times
Check out your local county recycling website for details of this equipment that they will accept, the locations in which the electronic goods will likely to be collected from and information about the times and dates when you can drop off this equipment. Some New Jersey town's also run their own electronics recycling collections so check to see in the event your town has any collection instructions by themselves recycling website pages.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:32 AM

10,219 posts, read 19,114,648 times
An iron... just leave it visible next to your recycling. The recyclers won't take it but the scrap-metal collectors probably will. If not, garbage. Jewel cases are #6 and CDs are #7 plastic, Essex County doesn't recycle these so they are just trash unless you want to make special effort.

There's an electronics recycling day in Cedar Grove once or twice a year; I forget when but it's probably on the Essex County website. That's where I usually get rid of worn-out rechargeable batteries; I think they'll take the whole toothbrush base too (the head is just trash)

Old 06-07-2016, 11:38 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,941,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cilucia View Post
Thanks again!! So happy this stuff won't go directly to a landfill (I guess there's always a chance part of it will still end up there, but it's better to at least try, I think!)
Don't worry-it won't end up in a landfill. It will be sent to a 3rd World country where the printed circuit boards will be cooked in the same pot that a family's dinner is prepared in to extract the precious metals and burn off the dioxin laden waste

E-Waste in Developing Countries Endangers Environment, Locals | US News

Old 06-07-2016, 11:57 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,092,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Don't worry-it won't end up in a landfill. It will be sent to a 3rd World country where the printed circuit boards will be cooked in the same pot that a family's dinner is prepared in to extract the precious metals and burn off the dioxin laden waste

E-Waste in Developing Countries Endangers Environment, Locals | US News
Exactly. They did a story about this on 60 Minutes a while back. In the grand scheme of things it is probably safer just to have this stuff in a landfill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey