Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 12:54 PM

6 posts, read 11,853 times

Advertisements

How is the area near by station, off new brunswick ave. we are considering buying a property in this area but want to weigh in the area safety wise.any advise/information greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 08:35 PM

54 posts, read 137,717 times
If you want an honest and direct answer, Rahway is mostly the ghetto. If you live there without kids, you'll be fine, as it's not that dangerous, but I would personally not want to raise kids in Rahway. I have friends who grew up in Rahway who all agree with this. If you want a safer and not much more expensive area, look on the south side of Edison. The north side of Edison is the upscale side, but the south is perfectly safe, with good schools, and a much nicer environment than Rahway.

Good luck in your search.

John

Old 03-04-2016, 11:34 AM

6 posts, read 11,853 times
thank you John. i will consider looking in the south side of edison.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:07 AM

52 posts, read 85,395 times
Roselle Park. 3 stops to Penn Station walk to station great house for a reasonable price....Union County's hidden secret...taxes like anywhere else are on the high side but nothing like Essex or Bergen county .

Old 04-22-2016, 03:56 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,584,927 times
Been around Rahway last 5 years or so. Mostly a great safe area. My kids are grown and out on their own. Direct train to the city and much development as far as new stuff in town. Friendly overall. Some residential streets are quite stately actually.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:55 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
I think there's a mini gentrification there in Rahway, a lot of new housing and development in the area is bringing more NYers over. I think NJ housing right now is very imbalanced and causing more people to look at outlier areas like Rahway. Now some areas in Rahway looks pretty bad but some areas look as commercial as Westfield. So is Rahway really all ghetto like some posters here claim?

Old 04-25-2016, 09:58 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
the only time i did anything more than pass rahway was a visit to this furniture store "modern line." it looks like they moved out of rahway since then. that was smart because there is no way i would ever go to that store ever again purely based on its location. it had a very unsafe feel even though it was set apart from pretty much anything else.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:37 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
So is Rahway really all ghetto like some posters here claim?
No, not at all.
The sections that are close to the border with Colonia and close to the border with Clark are actually very nice.

Additionally, there are several streets in the vicinity of RWJUH-Rahway that are solidly middle class.
Even the areas adjacent to Linden are pretty decent, and are nicer than the territory just over the border in Linden.

In order to get into the "ghetto" area of Rahway, you have to get pretty close to Route 1.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:16 PM

28 posts, read 49,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyJohn View Post
If you want an honest and direct answer, Rahway is mostly the ghetto. If you live there without kids, you'll be fine, as it's not that dangerous, but I would personally not want to raise kids in Rahway. I have friends who grew up in Rahway who all agree with this. If you want a safer and not much more expensive area, look on the south side of Edison. The north side of Edison is the upscale side, but the south is perfectly safe, with good schools, and a much nicer environment than Rahway.

Good luck in your search.

John
I would also choose Piscataway rather than South Edison as it is a nice place with more nicer homes, above average schools, safer areas and proximity to the Edison train station or dunellen train station. (depends on which part of piscataway you choose).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey