Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 02:40 PM

4 posts, read 30,571 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a home in central jersey with an easy commute to New Brunswick downtown via train or bus. My husband and I don't drive. Rahway seems to be a good spot transportation wise with some good priced homes. I know nothing about the area though. Is it a good place to think about putting down roots? I'd love to hear from residents or people that know the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 03:37 PM

41 posts, read 88,929 times
Rahway is right by Linden, and I know Linden, together with Elizabeth, is not a good place to live,

I would choose Edison instead of Rahway.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:02 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,580,637 times
I would say Rahway is nice since I know the town. If I didn't know the town I might go by its "old" image, but it is a nice town, walkable, lots of nice houses,,,ya can't beat it with a gazoid stick ,, no realy it's a decent place, arts center, shows, etc.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:25 AM

141 posts, read 208,855 times
Rahway is fine. Depending on where you live in town, you'll be able to walk to get essentials and, most likely be able to walk to the train station. Some neighborhoods are better than others, as is true with many other places. I live near Roosevelt Elementary School, which is just off St. Georges Avenue. While we have a car, if we didn't we'd be able to walk to CVS, Walgreens and 7-11 to get some grocery items such as milk and bread. There's also some large stores nearby that are less than a mile away, an easy walk for a motivated person; Home Depot, K-Mart and an A&P (not the best grocer around, but at least there for emergency use). Fast food is accessible on foot also if you're into that. The train station is about a 15 minute walk, maybe less.

Many stores deliver goods, such as Shop-Rite (there is a fee) and even Home Depot for larger home related needs.

Homes are varied in style, with a big concentration of American Foursquare type (1920's more or less) and, Victorians too. Prices are still fairly low here in comparison to other neighboring towns.

I haven't noticed any serious crime problems although for some reason we have the reputation. I think many years ago there was an issue with it but in recent years it's improved substantially. I feel safe here, even if I happen to get home late at night. I don't worry about walking to my car, or being outdoors alone at all. Just take the usual precautions I would anywhere else.

Overall, we like living here, although the downtown itself is pretty much a dead zone - lots of empty storefronts and what is there is food oriented with some nice restaurants. I think it is more a family oriented place to live opposed to good for singles. Even though there is a thriving art scene, which is getting better, there still isn't a lot to do here especially if one has no car. But, that may be ok for your situation.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:42 AM

Thanks for the responses. My husband seems to think that Rahway is a danger and depressed area. From what I can see I don't get that sense. He is also concerned about the school district (we are planning a baby) and I am too, but the neighboring towns don't look much better. And the town we live in has really well rated schools and to me that doesn't mean much of anything (my younger brother and sister both graduated from there and I could plainly see all the ways they were lacking).

Old 07-09-2015, 04:53 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
I often pass by Rahway on my way to Edison. There are some really depressed areas to avoid but the whole town is not any more dangerous overall than known high crimes area. The thing about Edison is that most areas are quite expensive and the affordable areas are way far from commute options. To label entire towns as dangerous is pure ignorance.

I am sure Starbucks did their homework when they open shops in these areas.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:11 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,141,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravislyn View Post
Thanks for the responses. My husband seems to think that Rahway is a danger and depressed area. From what I can see I don't get that sense. He is also concerned about the school district (we are planning a baby) and I am too, but the neighboring towns don't look much better. And the town we live in has really well rated schools and to me that doesn't mean much of anything (my younger brother and sister both graduated from there and I could plainly see all the ways they were lacking).
You are correct about the school district. It's terrible. One of my good friends grew up in Rahway and his parents sent him to private school because the public schools are so bad. I have another friend who's daughter is studying to become a teacher. She looked at Rahway High School to do her student teaching, and when she got there on her first day a bunch of kids pushed her into a locker. Needless to say that was the end of her student teaching in Rahway. She also couldn't believe the number of police officers working at the high school. For good reason, apparently.

If you're on a tight budget you might be better off in a town like Roselle Park or Garwood.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:52 PM

60 posts, read 104,490 times
Look at Metuchen. On the train line, nice, smaller community, also close to Rt 1 and thus the mall and all the shopping (I'm guessing there's a bus route). Much better schools as well.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:35 AM

I don't like Edison at all. It doesn't seem to have a city center and doesn't have the charm of some of the houses I've seen in Rahway. Metuchen is very cute, but too pricey. Garwood and Roselle Park don't have good transportation - a problem in much of NJ.

Police in the schools I guess is a thing, even in some of the "best" areas. I went to private school so I don't know, but my friends and family who went to public school have told me as much. I do wonder though that because the school system appears to be predominately AA and Hispanic that there is even more negativity toward it.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:28 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravislyn View Post
I don't like Edison at all. It doesn't seem to have a city center and doesn't have the charm of some of the houses I've seen in Rahway. Metuchen is very cute, but too pricey. Garwood and Roselle Park don't have good transportation - a problem in much of NJ.

Police in the schools I guess is a thing, even in some of the "best" areas. I went to private school so I don't know, but my friends and family who went to public school have told me as much. I do wonder though that because the school system appears to be predominately AA and Hispanic that there is even more negativity toward it.
If you drive around Rahway area that borders Clark and Scotch Plains, those are some really nice areas with bargain prices and not some of the outrageous prices across most of the NJ forum "favorite" towns.

If you buy in Edison, $450k gets you fix-it-upper with a $11k+ property tax. In Rahway, you can get a pretty good and spacious single fam and your taxes are $7-9k.

Rahway NJ transit station is pretty good, frequent trains and not as packed in the rush hour as Metropark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey