Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 04:20 PM

389 posts, read 663,938 times

Advertisements

My two year contract is over with Fios. Debating on temporarily switching to Comcast xfinity without a contract...then see if Fios offers a more attractive deal to us as "new" customers

Anyone try this tac? Fios is offering another 2 year package for $25 more a month, or $10 more a month if I drop half my channels

Xfinity would be $35 a month more without a contract, or $10 more a month with a 2 year contract--not sure about "activation fees"

How is xfinity internet versus Fios? Anyone switch and were happy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 11:19 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I did that a couple of years ago, specifically because I didn't want a contract. When I switched, I dropped my landline phone and chose a cheaper cable option, so I was paying less.

The internet service is very good, better than I thought it would be. I got a free upgrade about three months in. That was a nice perk.

Someone told me that you have to wait three months to be considered a new Verizon customer. I have no idea because I never went back.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:40 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirk98 View Post
My two year contract is over with Fios. Debating on temporarily switching to Comcast xfinity without a contract...then see if Fios offers a more attractive deal to us as "new" customers

Anyone try this tac? Fios is offering another 2 year package for $25 more a month, or $10 more a month if I drop half my channels

Xfinity would be $35 a month more without a contract, or $10 more a month with a 2 year contract--not sure about "activation fees"

How is xfinity internet versus Fios? Anyone switch and were happy?
You can just tell them that your leaving and they will offer you a better deal to retain you. You need to switch, you just need to be out of contract so that they know you are free to move on. I do this all the time with cable, car insurance, and cell phone.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:12 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,148,490 times
Or if you have a spouse, you can terminate the Fios contract under your name and re-up using your spouse's name. We recently did this when our 2 year contract ended and got the same promo deal everyone else is getting right now.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:57 PM

389 posts, read 663,938 times
really? might try that Ivan

Our contract ends in November, so I wasnt sure if better deal to re-up now or wait until out of contract. Sounds like I should wait.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:38 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,148,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirk98 View Post
really? might try that Ivan

Our contract ends in November, so I wasnt sure if better deal to re-up now or wait until out of contract. Sounds like I should wait.
I waited till the week or 2 before the contract ran out and then called them. They'll never suggest this but they will let you do it. I got whatever deal they were running at the time (they won't give you the gift card deals if they have it).

The only thing is they will charge you some kind of BS app/installation fee which was about $75 but when you prorate that to a 2 year contract, it's only $3 a month. The math worked so I went with it. I was paying $175 in the first 2 years for the triple play with Int'l calling and I'm basically paying the same now but with the Quantum option thrown in for free (lets me DVR up to 12 shows at once). I also have 75/75 internet.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
You can just tell them that your leaving and they will offer you a better deal to retain you. You need to switch, you just need to be out of contract so that they know you are free to move on. I do this all the time with cable, car insurance, and cell phone.
Verizon never did that for me. I called four times before I dropped them.

Rather, I called them three times and retention called after I switched. They still wouldn't give me a package I wanted for a price I was willing to pay.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:35 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I'm about to decide what to do, too. I had Comcast before, but took a FIOS deal when they came to town. Now my two-year contract is up in August. They started making offers back in December, and now they're up to offering me $124.99 (plus all the other crap they add on). Right now my deal is $89.99, so that means they're jumping it up $35 a month. My TV isn't even on sometimes for days, but when I do want to watch TV, I want the Investigation Discovery Channel, so I have to have a schedule that includes that.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm about to decide what to do, too. I had Comcast before, but took a FIOS deal when they came to town. Now my two-year contract is up in August. They started making offers back in December, and now they're up to offering me $124.99 (plus all the other crap they add on). Right now my deal is $89.99, so that means they're jumping it up $35 a month. My TV isn't even on sometimes for days, but when I do want to watch TV, I want the Investigation Discovery Channel, so I have to have a schedule that includes that.

I pay less than $100 a month--about 90--for internet and cable from Comcast.

Old 07-17-2015, 05:56 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Fios usually has some pretty good deals around the holidays. Last December they gave me free Quantum service for 3years with a 3 year price lock on all my services.

I never considered Comcast because they don't offer enough channels in HD in my area compared to Fios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: