Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 08:12 AM

93 posts, read 273,600 times

Advertisements

Good day to all, if you please, I would like a realistic estimation of how long a commute will the following destination equal. I will be most likely commuting after 9AM and starting my commute back to NJ after 6:30PM

The final destination is the Red Hook Marine area, Coffey Street, Brooklyn, NY

Long Hill

Randolph

Mt. Olive

Morristown

Bridgewater

Sparta

Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 08:48 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiliz View Post
Good day to all, if you please, I would like a realistic estimation of how long a commute will the following destination equal. I will be most likely commuting after 9AM and starting my commute back to NJ after 6:30PM

The final destination is the Red Hook Marine area, Coffey Street, Brooklyn, NY

Long Hill

Randolph

Mt. Olive

Morristown

Bridgewater

Sparta

Many thanks in advance.
Honestly, I've found the Google Maps estimations incredibly accurate for non rush hour scenarios. The problem is with 2 bridges and several merges/choke points you open yourself up to traffic(accidents, construction, etc) on any given day regardless of avoiding rush hour.

My advice, get a hotel in Morristown for a week and try it out to see for yourself.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:07 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,022 times
That would be too far for me to maintain my sanity. Morristown is closest I think, but still, I would not recommend this. Is there a reason why you are set on Morris County? If not, I would look at places much closer.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:51 PM

93 posts, read 273,600 times
Schools, square footage, I do not want to live much closer to NYC. Is there another area, that you think could hit on similar themes?

Believe me I am all ears (so to speak).

Old 07-15-2015, 07:51 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiliz View Post
Schools, square footage, I do not want to live much closer to NYC. Is there another area, that you think could hit on similar themes?

Believe me I am all ears (so to speak).
If you want input with options on areas, please read the sticky and post it.

As for the original question on the thread, you will probably get suicidal or homicidal depending on your personality...to do daily commute from any towns in Morris county to Red Hook. I lived in Brooklyn and even when I lived in Brooklyn, thought of commuting to Red Hook was horrid due to lack of subway access there... To do it from Morris county towns... holy crap.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:00 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
If you want input with options on areas, please read the sticky and post it.

As for the original question on the thread, you will probably get suicidal or homicidal depending on your personality...to do daily commute from any towns in Morris county to Red Hook. I lived in Brooklyn and even when I lived in Brooklyn, thought of commuting to Red Hook was horrid due to lack of subway access there... To do it from Morris county towns... holy crap.
Yeah, honestly for your commute, you should probably look at Long Island, if you must stay outside of New York City. If you must stay in New Jersey, I would only do Hudson or Union County. But perhaps you have more patience than I do

Old 07-16-2015, 02:12 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
You know when you mentioned Red Hook I had to look it up, that's almost like going just a little past Manhattan. Decades ago I bought a house in White Meadow Lake in Rockaway Twsp NJ and used to commute to Woodside Queens r days a week. It was just like any other commute, usually an hour to 1 hr 15 minutes.

The posters above make it seem like the person wants to travel to Alaska every day.

I would pick something not too far from a major highway and try it.

And for people who are not used to living on an island, as in Long Island, yikes that can be miserable. Not my cup of tea at all, I find myself a "mainlander".

Old 07-16-2015, 04:29 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
You know when you mentioned Red Hook I had to look it up, that's almost like going just a little past Manhattan. Decades ago I bought a house in White Meadow Lake in Rockaway Twsp NJ and used to commute to Woodside Queens r days a week. It was just like any other commute, usually an hour to 1 hr 15 minutes.

The posters above make it seem like the person wants to travel to Alaska every day.

I would pick something not too far from a major highway and try it.

And for people who are not used to living on an island, as in Long Island, yikes that can be miserable. Not my cup of tea at all, I find myself a "mainlander".
Captne76, With all due respect, a lot has changed since you first bought the house in White Meadow Lake and were commuting into Queens. Traffic on 80 is so much heavier these days, than it was even 20 yrs ago let alone "decades ago". Same with Rt 287. Highway 24 only opened in '92, and it has only added to the already over crowded situation on all highways going through Northern NJ. Not to mention the housing boom that occurred over the past 30 years in Northern NJ which brought hoards of new commuters into the mix, that has occurred since you were commuting from Rockaway Twp to Queens. What you are remembering is no where near as bad as the reality of today's commute. Things have changed over time - heck, back when you bought your home I bet gasoline was under a dollar a gallon, look what it is now. I am not doubting that your commute was not that bad, way back then, it's just that times have changed and what you remember is no longer accurate, and frankly it is not relevant these days.

KoalaNJ

Old 07-17-2015, 07:42 AM

389 posts, read 664,327 times
having moved to union county from Bay Ridge Brooklyn, I am in total agreement with the above poster and not desiring to commute to red hook from Brooklyn. Traffic is a nightmare on the BQE. True, you will learn the surface roads, but you still couldnt pay me enough.

public transit wont get you there

I would not live in NJ if I had to work in Red Hook. I agree living on an island isnt for everyone, but (in my opinion) that is the only reasonable option, other than Manhattan/Queens/BK. MAYBE comin in over the triboro from Westchester MIGHT be tolerable, but not two bridges/tunnels to sit for hours on end

Old 07-17-2015, 11:42 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
If you had a place somewhat accessible to transit, without looking it up, can you take any subways to Red Hook?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey