U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 07:36 AM

21 posts, read 27,899 times

Advertisements

We are looking to make a move to the burbs from Philly with our one year old and are totally overwhelmed by it. We've moved quite a bit and are looking to really put roots down in our next move. We are looking at a couple of different areas but keep seeming to come back to Fair Haven/Rumson. We've driven through a few times and have liked what we've seen and the school ratings are wonderful. We are concerned, however, that there is a lot of competition as there is just so much money there. Is there a snob factor or is it more laid back? We would have a more modest house by the standards of these towns. Are kids in the HS getting brand new luxury cars, etc? Anything else we should know? And is there really a difference between the two towns? It seems that Rumson's taxes are a bit lower, but houses more expensive. Any info would be much appreciated! It seems like a wonderful place to raise a family but just looking for any inside information on both towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 08:24 AM

3,930 posts, read 1,451,492 times
Hey Lizard- first and foremost if you answer some of these questions it would help get the best responses.

Are for the area- Rumson is extermely well to do- but there are pockets of middle class (more like upper middle class) - people in homes 500K to 800K or so, mostly in the area by the HS and by the Brennans deli. Fair Haven has a number of the same altough both are slowly disappearing as builders turn ranches/capes into colonials. Fair Haven is very well to do but doesn't have the extreme wealth of Rumson ($15-20MM + homes , the Boss, Bon Jovi, etc...) I know people who live in Rumson and talk of two Rumsons- the extreme wealth and the upper middle class- it depends if you want that- but the people I know who are upper middle class love it there (bascially the kids who attend public school vs Raney/Rumson Country Day).
Taxes are much lower in Rumson- but home prices higher and a bit more removed from things like shopping, groceries, etc.

Depending on your budget and expectations there are other towns in the area that are great as well; Little Silver, Shrewsbury, Holmdel, parts of Middletown, etc.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:40 PM

Thanks Metsfan! Great info, much appreciated.
We'd be looking at houses around 800k - 1mln. We'd also be looking at public school so that's good to know that the kids who aren't mega rich are happy there.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:17 PM

831 posts, read 2,097,022 times
Lizardmc - I have lived in Rumson my entire life. I come from a working class family. We never had allot of money but this is where my grandparents raised my parents and our family never left. Rumson can be snobby, but it all depends on where you live. Third Street, Church Street, 1st street, Allen Street that general area the people are extremely down to earth. Neighbors help each other with snow plowing, or if your car doesn't start, and socialize in the street when their children play outside. Areas like Woodmere (off Rumson Road) (I lived there for 2 years) I found unsocial. Maybe a waive now and again from a neighbor. Holly Street, Cedar Street, Bay Street, again more social areas. As far as the schools they are good. They are always asking for donations (I am sure most schools now a days do) but there is a ton of school spirit and support regardless of which town you live. Football games the bleachers are filled. As far as the children and "status quo" isn't as bad as you think. When I attended school here it was terrible, but now that my kids have and are going through the school system, I don't find that any more. They are friends with a mix of kids and no one seems to care about the size of our house in comparison to theirs. My kids have older used cars, they paid for, and have never had any bad mouthing about it. Now ask me if they wish they had what some of their friends are driving and that's another story. lol As far as taxes Rumson is definitely cheaper then Fair Haven however you can get a bigger house in Fair Haven but the trade off is pay higher taxes. They say living in Rumson is like living in a bubble. I never thought that until I left for a couple of years and moved out of state. I missed my bubble and couldn't wait to come home.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:58 AM

Thanks dmccauley! Very helpful! Coming from a city, it's important to us to still have a feeling of being connected with others, so it's nice to know that there are areas that are like that. Kids play in our street all the time (we live on a side street - but still in the middle of the city) which is something that I really like. I'm also happy to hear that there is a lot of school spirit, sports are also very important to us as we both played growing up. I'm from Ridgewood which also gets the snob reputation, but I never picked up on it at all and so I'm so happy to hear that this sounds similar. Beyond the taxes, what are the other main differences between the two towns?

Old 07-17-2015, 03:07 PM

I am not sure if you work or not but Fair Haven elementary schools do not have any busing. All the kids walk and or ride their bikes. This does make it difficult for working parents. Also, and I am not sure if it has changed or not, but the kids come home for lunch or they walk with their friends to the local pizza place. I know a couple of my friends hated this. Rumson provides busing for kids as long as they live more then 2 miles from the school and they do have a lunch program and an after school program for working parents. I really can't comment on the neighborhoods because I have never lived in Fair Haven. Both towns are safe to live, I am a single mother and have never been afraid to be alone at night. West Park area (homes located near the Sea Bright bridge, Grant, Warren street, Waterman Avenue) you have to be careful with flooding. It floods when there is a full moon and a north eastern wind. The town had tried to fix this but it seems to have gotten worse, the water comes up through the storm drains. Your homes don't flood but the streets do and you don't want to drive through the salt water. Feel free to ask anything I will try and answer the best I can.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:24 AM

838 posts, read 1,727,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I am not sure if you work or not but Fair Haven elementary schools do not have any busing. All the kids walk and or ride their bikes. This does make it difficult for working parents. Also, and I am not sure if it has changed or not, but the kids come home for lunch or they walk with their friends to the local pizza place. I know a couple of my friends hated this. Rumson provides busing for kids as long as they live more then 2 miles from the school and they do have a lunch program and an after school program for working parents. I really can't comment on the neighborhoods because I have never lived in Fair Haven. Both towns are safe to live, I am a single mother and have never been afraid to be alone at night. West Park area (homes located near the Sea Bright bridge, Grant, Warren street, Waterman Avenue) you have to be careful with flooding. It floods when there is a full moon and a north eastern wind. The town had tried to fix this but it seems to have gotten worse, the water comes up through the storm drains. Your homes don't flood but the streets do and you don't want to drive through the salt water. Feel free to ask anything I will try and answer the best I can.
Forget about bussing almost no one in Fair Haven or Rumson lives more than two miles from the schools.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:54 PM

Oystercatcher - Busing is an important factor, for some, however I should have said Rumson kids have to walk if they live within the 1 mile radius of the school. Fair Haven doesn't provide busing for elementary at all.

Last edited by dmccauley; 07-19-2015 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-20-2015, 07:37 AM

I stay at home so the busing isn't a huge deal - however the lunch situation is! Is there really no lunch until high school?! Obviously this is much worse for working parents and I can totally pick him up, but socially I feel like lunch at school is super important. I can't imagine having the day broken up for him by coming home in the middle of the day. Good to know about the flooding, obviously we don't have to worry about that in Philly so that's helpful to know. Another question - are the sports programs good for the younger kids?

Old 07-20-2015, 07:47 AM

3,930 posts, read 1,451,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardmc View Post
I stay at home so the busing isn't a huge deal - however the lunch situation is! Is there really no lunch until high school?! Obviously this is much worse for working parents and I can totally pick him up, but socially I feel like lunch at school is super important. I can't imagine having the day broken up for him by coming home in the middle of the day. Good to know about the flooding, obviously we don't have to worry about that in Philly so that's helpful to know. Another question - are the sports programs good for the younger kids?

RE: sports- can only speak to Rumson- but I'm nearly positive its the same for both- there are tons of activities at the town, peninsula, and county level for sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or