U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 05:57 PM

234 posts, read 189,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
In some ways the city has improved but anyone who has any money would never give a thought to living there.
So how do you explain the three houses in the North Ward that changed hands this year for over $700k (two of them over $800k)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 06:38 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,012,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruebas View Post
So how do you explain the three houses in the North Ward that changed hands this year for over $700k (two of them over $800k)?
Different strokes but if I was going to spend 700K on a house and needed to be relatively close to Newark I would choose Livingston over the North Ward of Newark NJ. By and large Newark is an absolute dump and unsafe compared to an decent suburb. I've worked in Newark for over 40 years. Wouldn't be caught dead there after dark unless I wanted to go to the Pru for a game.

Have you ever been to Newark?

Old 08-20-2015, 08:36 PM

5,124 posts, read 9,443,974 times
Default 3 killings in a day

NEWARK Following two early-morning fatal shootings, authorities are investigating a stabbing death in the Ironbound district, county officials confirmed. On Wednesday afternoon, investigators from the Essex County Prosecutor's Office could be seen at the scene of the incident near the intersection of Van Buren and Ferry Street.
Essex County Prosecutor's Office spokeswoman Katherine Carter said the male victim was killed during an apparent home burglary. Additional details of the incident are not immediately available, she said.
The stabbing occurred on Van Buren Street in the Newark's Ironbound district.

The stabbing follows two separate overnight shooting incidents, each of which left one person dead.
The first occurred near the 300 block of Sanford Avenue near midnight. Hours later, a second person was fatally shot in the 200 block of Ridgewood Avenue, Carter confirmed. Neither victim has been identified by authorities.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:42 PM

234 posts, read 189,886 times
You didn't answer the question. You said "anyone who has any money (and I assume you mean who has above-average money) would never give a thought to living there."

And I said that this summer at least three above-average households plunked down their hard-earned money in the North Ward putting their money up for substantial houses in the neighborhood.

My bet is on those who put their money into Newark because they wouldn't be the successful people that they are without forethought and planning. So I am confident they know what they're doing.

You, on the other hand, are just a voice on a message board.

And yes, I know Newark well. In fact, I was born there.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:14 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,012,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruebas View Post
You didn't answer the question. You said "anyone who has any money (and I assume you mean who has above-average money) would never give a thought to living there."

And I said that this summer at least three above-average households plunked down their hard-earned money in the North Ward putting their money up for substantial houses in the neighborhood.

My bet is on those who put their money into Newark because they wouldn't be the successful people that they are without forethought and planning. So I am confident they know what they're doing.

You, on the other hand, are just a voice on a message board.

And yes, I know Newark well. In fact, I was born there.
Wow 3 whole people got a bank to give them a mortgage for an overpriced home in the ghetto and you think that means Newark is the place to be? You were born there? I am there 5 days a week.

What you call foresight I call a mistake.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:03 AM

476 posts, read 386,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
NEWARK Following two early-morning fatal shootings, authorities are investigating a stabbing death in the Ironbound district, county officials confirmed. On Wednesday afternoon, investigators from the Essex County Prosecutor's Office could be seen at the scene of the incident near the intersection of Van Buren and Ferry Street.
Essex County Prosecutor's Office spokeswoman Katherine Carter said the male victim was killed during an apparent home burglary. Additional details of the incident are not immediately available, she said.
The stabbing occurred on Van Buren Street in the Newark's Ironbound district.

The stabbing follows two separate overnight shooting incidents, each of which left one person dead.
The first occurred near the 300 block of Sanford Avenue near midnight. Hours later, a second person was fatally shot in the 200 block of Ridgewood Avenue, Carter confirmed. Neither victim has been identified by authorities.

The stabbing that happening in the Ironbound was the home owner stabbing the robber that entered his home. It was NOT the home owner that was killed. No charged have been filed against the home owner.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:10 AM

Default 5 people killed in LESS than 2 days

To all the urban pioneers, good luck. It's been a $hithole for quite some time and still is. BUT, you have investors trying to hype it up. Buy a bullet proof vest.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdacunha View Post
The stabbing that happening in the Ironbound was the home owner stabbing the robber that entered his home. It was NOT the home owner that was killed. No charged have been filed against the home owner.
That's even worse, it proves the point I'm trying to make. Even in the best section, homeowners have to fight for their life to survive.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
That's even worse, it proves the point I'm trying to make. Even in the best section, homeowners have to fight for their life to survive.
I can find news stories in the safest cities with similar scenarios. This is a CITY not a suburb. The population in each ward in 60,000. I can find plenty of stories like this in other neighboring cities.

There was a homicide in Long Beach Island yesterday. Why NO reports of it on NJ.com? Too many people tied to there have second homes there? I guess they don't want to scare off investors.

All you people that want to be negative about Newark should just move out of the state. Why is the city supposed to do? Let is continue down a negative path or try to improve it? You all a bunch of typical people that want to bash but offer nothing to improve it. We can't snap our fingers and expect it to improve overnight. It will take decades to improve. We are starting to go in the right direction. Is city up? Not really...we are all more aware of it because of social media.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:43 AM

How have other cities improved? Development. It will take time, but the city will improve. You can blame the Hollywood Senator...Booker...for our police force being decimated and our police academy being shut down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey