Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 03:59 PM

81 posts, read 182,251 times

Advertisements

I go to Newark several times a year and I only go toa certain area ( I believe called the IronBound district), and it has always been nice, but I am wondering is the rest of Newark improving also? Development, abandoned home demolitions etc. I did notice the last time that a lot of graffiti was removed, so for those of you who live in the city what is the situation in Newark?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 09:59 AM

625 posts, read 794,428 times
A lot of development is happening. I've lived in the Ironbound for 30 years. The key to everything is still the downtown and crime. The perception is that it is bad everywhere and that isn't the case. If you are interested in newark development take a look at this site:

Newark Development - Page 566

Also, bike lanes are in the planning stage for the Ironbound:
Bike Ironbound - Raise Newark

Old 07-17-2015, 10:01 AM

Also, here is a thread that I started that covers plenty:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...rk-chance.html

Old 07-17-2015, 11:31 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,275,279 times
Newark real estate leaders tout city's momentum, success at industry event | NJBIZ

From NJ Biz...

In my opinion, yes, Newark is improving. Not every single part, but parts are.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:54 PM

196 posts, read 647,219 times
The downtown area and university heights areas are improving a lot. I regularly walk through these areas and you will see many diverse people that you would have never see walking around/biking several years ago.

In downtown they have added a chipotle, mercato pizza, ritas italian ice and few other dining options nearby the dinosaur bbq which replaced other rundown establishments. Also i've noticed a lot of art studios moving in around this area.

Nearby university heights a shoprite is being built which will be great for an area that sorely needs a good grocery store as the only close options are a horribly run pathmark. This will also add jobs. I believe there is also a plan still to add the whole foods on halsey st.

If the projects on Norfolk st are removed, this would reduce much of the crime in this area.

It is a slow process but it has improved much from 5 years ago.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:01 PM

81 posts, read 182,251 times
Thanks for all the replies guys, I actually went in to Newark today (Ferry St).
I was wondering does Newark have many abandoned buildings like other places, Camden or Philly, or Baltimore?

I really only go into Downtown or ferry street area so i never get to see the rest of the city.

Also are there any future plans to spruce up the entrance to the city coming from 78? I noticed something new and some trees there that werent there before, but it looks a little run down when first arriving. Just wondering of course.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:44 PM

882 posts, read 1,663,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.C.H View Post
I was wondering does Newark have many abandoned buildings like other places, Camden or Philly, or Baltimore?

I really only go into Downtown or ferry street area so i never get to see the rest of the city.

Also are there any future plans to spruce up the entrance to the city coming from 78? I noticed something new and some trees there that werent there before, but it looks a little run down when first arriving. Just wondering of course.
Newark is less dense than those cities, it doesn't really have the huge expanses of abandoned rowhomes you see in camden or parts of Philly. There are actually a lot of new houses, though there are many patches of run down houses in the South and West wards.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:06 PM

445 posts, read 585,540 times
'We prayed on this': Newark celebrates former housing project's transformation | NJ.com

Here is a new development outside downtown.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.C.H View Post

The exit from 78 to the delancy street exit is what I'm assuming you are talking about? That is a very very busy exit ramp with loads of tractor trailer traffic. Once you go down Stockton and turn left on Wilson there are new planters on the street corners that thr IBID (ironbound improvement district) just put up with new trash cans.

It's a very hard place to upkeep because of the truck traffic and it floods when there are major downpours.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:23 AM

856 posts, read 700,442 times
Ironbound is okay, yes. There have been some improvements in a few areas over the last decade or so.

The story of Newark is also the story of Paterson, Camden, Trenton, and a few other cities in New Jersey. For years, the state has thrown money at expensive failing schools where administrators make tons and students learn little. The state has thrown millions and more recently, billions in corporate subsidies for jobs, though unemployment remains high. City officials beg for state aid, get state aid, but are unwilling to combat crime, runaway spending, and corruption remains rampant.

So, for the most part, Newark is not improving much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey