Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 12:21 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,440,946 times

Advertisements

Pathmark never should've gotten rid of James Karen as a spokesperson. Mr. Pathmark knew how to run a supermarket.

So now it looks like A&P, Pathmark, and the other family brands are going for good. What a shame. A&P actually was decent for a couple of years about a decade ago, and Pathmark really gave Shop-Rite a run for its money in the 70s and 80s. But now, they're poor, tired, and just plain horrible.

What's even more disturbing, aside from the fact that managerial ineptitude and greed is going to put tens of thousands of people out of work, is that the replacements for these stores are equally horrible.

What's replacing them? Wegman's? Nope. Trader Joe's? Nope. Whole Foods? Nope. Publix? Not a chance.

The main replacements are...

Stop & Shop - The worst supermarket chain in the area. Insane prices, low-quality products put in fancy packaging, and non-existent customer service.

Acme - The low-rent version of Stop & Shop. Yeech.

Key Foods - A typical "hood" supermarket chain.

This is what we have to look forward to? Looks like I'm going to be going to Shop-Rite a lot more, as I wouldn't touch any of those chains with a ten-foot-pole. What a disappointment, on multiple fronts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 12:24 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,928,356 times
Maybe a WalMart "Fresh" Seen them pop up in some closed grocery stores.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:26 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,874,587 times
It seems that Wegman's is growing consistently in NJ. When I lived there I drove 20 miles to shop at Wegman's rather than five to shop at the disgusting Pathmark and A&P. I imagine many are doing the same.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:51 PM

21,007 posts, read 27,059,000 times
A&P had bad leaders and made bad decisions for many years. It was a respected supermarket a long time ago. Either existing competitors will look to acquire existing or closing stores, and/or another competitor may expand into the northeastern United States.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:51 PM

625 posts, read 794,351 times
There is a PathMark in the Ironbound section of Newark that is staying open, as far as I know. The location actually does well. Would be nice to have a Trader Joe's but, I know that's a dream.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:00 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,443,016 times
the two A & P by me are becoming ACME- can't say I'm looking forward to it. There's one across the street from the A & P and it's awful. I assume that will close and the A & P will become the one ACME. I don't trust the meat/produce there at all.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:01 PM

88,203 posts, read 84,076,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Pathmark never should've gotten rid of James Karen as a spokesperson. Mr. Pathmark knew how to run a supermarket.

So now it looks like A&P, Pathmark, and the other family brands are going for good. What a shame. A&P actually was decent for a couple of years about a decade ago, and Pathmark really gave Shop-Rite a run for its money in the 70s and 80s. But now, they're poor, tired, and just plain horrible.

What's even more disturbing, aside from the fact that managerial ineptitude and greed is going to put tens of thousands of people out of work, is that the replacements for these stores are equally horrible.

What's replacing them? Wegman's? Nope. Trader Joe's? Nope. Whole Foods? Nope. Publix? Not a chance.

Stop & Shop - The worst supermarket chain in the area. Insane prices, low-quality products put in fancy packaging, and non-existent customer service.

This is what we have to look forward to? Looks like I'm going to be going to Shop-Rite a lot more, as I wouldn't touch any of those chains with a ten-foot-pole. What a disappointment, on multiple fronts.
I like my Acme. It's small, but the people are weirdly friendly and most importantly, it's on my way home from the train station. There are certain things I go to Trader Joe's for, but that's also on the way home (almost across the street from the Acme, as a matter of fact.)

The Key Foods comment has me confused. I only know one Key Foods, on Fulton in lower Manhattan, and it's where I sometimes buy lunch because it has a huge hot-and-cold, by-the-pound buffet. It's also got a large deli and a huge selection of specialty foods. It's pretty upscale, and obviously not in a 'hood.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:07 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,170,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post

Any reason you didn't mention ShopRite in the list? I personally like ShopRite and frequently visit their stores in Montgomery and North Brunswick. Looking forward to their new location in South Brunswick.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:16 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,951,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Any reason you didn't mention ShopRite in the list? I personally like ShopRite and frequently visit their stores in Montgomery and North Brunswick. Looking forward to their new location in South Brunswick.
I believe that Shop-Rite wasn't named as one of the anticipated acquirers of A&P stores.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:09 PM

19,051 posts, read 25,170,666 times
When I was in the East Brunswick Pathmark last year, there was an unmistakably putrid odor permeating the store, and I got out of there as fast as I could. Clearly, the store was NOT clean.

Then again, the Stop & Shop on Route 206 in Hillsborough also has the odor of filth about it, and as a result I avoid that store.

How fitting that Stop & Shop will be taking over many of the failed A & P/Pathmark locations!

The only good thing about the change in ownership of some locations is that most customers won't see a difference in pricing. When you trade one overpriced store for another overpriced store, everything starts to look the same--except for some of the brand names.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey