Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 05:02 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,879,762 times

Advertisements

I agree with everyone - Livingston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 08:32 PM

66 posts, read 390,880 times
Stupid topic, Livingston is 20x better than Nutley. Its an apples & oranges comparison.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:50 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southamboy View Post
Stupid topic, Livingston is 20x better than Nutley. Its an apples & oranges comparison.

not cool and totally unnecessary. the person is moving from out of state, he has no idea about towns in NJ.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:13 AM

9 posts, read 40,797 times
Thank you everyone. I am indeed moving from out of state and have only had a chance to see the places for two days. Its pretty hard to get a feel for a place in two days.

I'm thinking it might just be better to rent for a while before buying so that I can become more familiar with NJ and the good v. bad areas. I think my wife might kill me though if we move too many more times.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:27 PM

43 posts, read 189,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
not cool and totally unnecessary. the person is moving from out of state, he has no idea about towns in NJ.
I would agree, go with Livingston. Great school system, but the houses are very expensive. Then again, it's almost a give that a wealthy neighborhood normally has the better public school system.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:26 AM

370 posts, read 1,369,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
if for no other reason than the schools - it's the difference between top notch schools in livingston with mediocre schools in nutley.

oh, and one reason you may not be able to find crime data on livingston is because there's next to none. literally.
I agree the schools are much better in Livingston. Also I think the town itself is a bit nicer. Nutley is not bad but if you are comparing the 2 then Livingston is a better choice.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:15 PM

22 posts, read 59,700 times
Default Nutley

has a very hard school system but if your kids are smart and they work hard they will do well. Nutley has a tremendous reputation with colleges. For some reason Nutley kids have extremely good success in college. I think alot of the reason is their very high grading system and a rigorous college prep program. Very disciplined high school with dress codes and strict rules but it is the kind of place where kids thrive. Nutley to me has the better parks, restaurants etc and is more centrally located with being only 12 miles from nyc. I also think it has a nice mix of affluent and middle class which keeps the kids grounded. Very nice community and I made a great decision moving here. All of my children have done very well .

Old 04-13-2008, 08:21 PM

Default NJ Monthly Best Places to Live

Just came out last month. Nutley is ranked 38th. Livingston is ranked 137. I rest my case.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:32 PM

18,453 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marymagda View Post
Just came out last month. Nutley is ranked 38th. Livingston is ranked 137. I rest my case.
Dont rest your case just yet, next year Livingston will be number 8 and Nutley will be number 175. But then the following year, Nutley will be number 1 and Livingston will be number 435, but then the next year...

It is pretty well accepted that the NJ Monthly list is a joke.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:05 AM

Default You have a point

but Nutley is a very well kept secret. I know both towns well as I have good friends who live in Livingston. Livingston is a nice town but does not offer as much as Nutley. Nutley has a better center of town with good restaurants and plenty to do. I think other things have to be taken into consideration when buying a home. Again Nutley has one of the best Rec programs with over 100 paid employess who take care of all those parks and activities for children right up to senior citizens. School sytems are both good and children will do well at both but I think Nutley having more of a middle class keeps children grounded. Nutley homes hold their value and I feel will go up even more with NYC prices going through the roof. One more thing to take into consideration. Nutley has a reputation for being a very Catholic/Christian town and that can be seen as an plus to some and a minus to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey