Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:09 PM

9 posts, read 40,594 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Jersey City and have narrowed the search down to two different houses. One is located in Nutley, the other in Livingston. If all other things are equal (other than the commute), which is better to live in? Why? We have two children who will be attending elementary school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 08:19 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,579,607 times
Livingston, no contest.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:28 PM

But why?? I don't see the difference between the two. Sure there are some differences between the houses but they are minor. What makes Livingston better?

Lets also assume that the house in Nutley is larger but on a smaller lot. Is there enough of a difference between the two places to make Nutley less attractive?

Old 01-24-2008, 08:48 PM

6 posts, read 29,977 times
Default When looking at the 2 towns - what are you comparing?

Growing up, working and living in Essex County - I can honestly tell you they are both very nice towns to raise a family in. When comparing the two towns - what are you comparing? Has your realtor provided you information on both towns to help you decide? As a realtors - we cannot "steer" you towards a particular town but if you pointed out some things you were interested in, whether it be school systems, public transportation, house value, etc. your agent can certainly provide all the documentation in order for you to make an informed decision. One thing I will say about the town of Nutley is that I noticed people who were raised in Nutley - stay in Nutley. Have you the compared the two towns against crime stats, cost of living, school systems, etc.?

Old 01-24-2008, 08:57 PM

I have compared the two to the best of my ability. There doesn't seem to be much crime data for Livingston. Nutely appears to have about half of the national average. Taxes are comparable, the houses are comparable (the nutely one is nicer and bigger but has a MUCH smalller lot), the cost of living is about the same, school systems appear to get mixed reviews but from what I can tell they are the same.

I honestly can't tell why Nutley or Livingston would be a better choice except that people at the office seem to think Livingston is much nicer and my realtor thinks Nutley is better. I figure that I am already listening to other people so I might as well get group think in on it.

The only thing I have really been able to physically compare is Small House + Yard v. Medium House + no yard.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:00 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,773,839 times
no comparison. Go with Livingston. Parts of Nutley really aren't all that nice; not bad, just a bit run down.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:13 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,579,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amus View Post
But why?? I don't see the difference between the two. Sure there are some differences between the houses but they are minor. What makes Livingston better?

Lets also assume that the house in Nutley is larger but on a smaller lot. Is there enough of a difference between the two places to make Nutley less attractive?
if for no other reason than the schools - it's the difference between top notch schools in livingston with mediocre schools in nutley.

oh, and one reason you may not be able to find crime data on livingston is because there's next to none. literally.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:15 PM

828 posts, read 3,131,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amus View Post
I am moving to Jersey City and have narrowed the search down to two different houses. One is located in Nutley, the other in Livingston. If all other things are equal (other than the commute), which is better to live in? Why? We have two children who will be attending elementary school.

I assume that you meant to say that you are moving to "New Jersey", not Jersey City...correct?

Old 01-24-2008, 09:25 PM

Right . I work in Jersey City. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:58 AM

18,414 posts, read 15,113,085 times
I'd say it is an easy choice. You have to go with Livingston. If you were comparing it to Summit, Milburn, North Caldwell, Mountain Lakes, etc... THEN it would be a tougher decision. Not that Nutley isn't a nice town. It is. But you want a TOP school system if you can afford it. Not only is it what's best for your kids, it is best for your property values too. You will always be able to sell your house in a great school system. Even in a down market.

Also, people who grew up here always come back too. I moved back after 12 years of school to find that many of my friends moved back as well.

It's a great town to raise children. I have 2 pre-schoolers, and my wife is ALWAYS doing something with them. They have music classes, gym classes, Karate classes, dance classes. There is never a dull moment. The library is beautiful. It has a great children's section. There is an internet cafe in the library too. There is a lot of town spirit as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey