Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 10:16 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,251,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I would avoid it at all cost. It's a mold and algea farm. Co-worker spends hundreds a month just maintaining it, I would absolutely avoid the extra cost. There's already a family nearby that have lost their toddler due to their backyard pool. It takes secs for a kid to drown, the cost of insurance wouldn't be cheap for sure.
It's not a mold and algae farm if you maintain it properly. Bathrooms can be full of mold if not properly maintained too. So can damp basements.

You co-worker sounds like he's clueless.

Toddlers need to be watched if one has a pool or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 07:26 AM

18,453 posts, read 15,234,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
It's not a mold and algae farm if you maintain it properly. Bathrooms can be full of mold if not properly maintained too. So can damp basements.

True, but drowning is of particular concern among the "toddler" age group. From the CDC:
Quote:
Children: Children ages 1 to 4 have the highest drowning rates. In 2009, among children 1 to 4 years old who died from an unintentional injury, more than 30% died from drowning.1,2 Among children ages 1 to 4, most drownings occur in home swimming pools.2 Drowning is responsible for more deaths among children 1-4 than any other cause except congenital anomalies (birth defects).1 Among those 1-14, fatal drowning remains the second-leading cause of unintentional injury-related death behind motor vehicle crashes.1
We don't have a pool at our primary residence because the family lives at the beach all summer long, so it is not worth it to have a pool for just the spring and fall. But we do have a pool at our beach house. We have a fence around it that always stays closed when there are no adults outside, and we have an alarm that sounds off inside and outside the house if someone falls in the pool. Occasionally, we forget to turn it off when going in the pool, and that tips the alarm, but that is a small inconvenience compared to what could happen without it.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:00 AM

331 posts, read 521,437 times
Checked out the house yesterday...still like it, all comes down to price. If it goes low enough can pay to have pool removed. The problem in the town we are looking is that the vast majority of houses on >1/2 acre have a pool, and we like land/privacy.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:13 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,826,043 times
it's a minus in value to those who doesn't like the pool. We really liked a house, and couldn't buy it because of the pool. So they lost my sale.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:17 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,863,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
it's a minus in value to those who doesn't like the pool. We really liked a house, and couldn't buy it because of the pool. So they lost my sale.
But your walkaway was likely countered by someone who liked the pool but not the kitchen tiling, but they could change the kitchen tile so they bought the home and changed it to a nice periwinkle that reminded the owners of their childhoods and they had many happy years there while their home's value escalated past the point of imagination and they were made rich in good health, family and could afford to retire to a cruise ship where they were cared for all the rest of their days.

You walking away doesn't mean the house didn't sell. The same way house you eventually bought was hated by someone who came before you to view it and walked away.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:56 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,663,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubulus View Post
Checked out the house yesterday...still like it, all comes down to price. If it goes low enough can pay to have pool removed. The problem in the town we are looking is that the vast majority of houses on >1/2 acre have a pool, and we like land/privacy.
You might also want to think about just putting a loop-loc safety cover on it for the time being. It would be a couple to a few thousand dollars and you can walk on it. Who knows in the future you might see the benefits of the pool.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:39 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,396,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
You might also want to think about just putting a loop-loc safety cover on it for the time being. It would be a couple to a few thousand dollars and you can walk on it. Who knows in the future you might see the benefits of the pool.
I came here just to post exactly this- if you put a good cover on it, you can just leave it covered in perpetuity and nobody gets hurt. Plus, it doesn't look out of place.

This way, when your kids are old enough to enjoy it, you can all have a nice time in it.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:38 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post

My coworker is excellent at poor management, that's why I wouldn't want one. Too much work and $ to keep one clean.

If I want to swim I go to a real pool not a backyard miniature one. There's a couple of community pools that are cheap and spacious.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:49 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,251,551 times
Quote:
My coworker is excellent at poor management, that's why I wouldn't want one. Too much work and $ to keep one clean.

If I want to swim I go to a real pool not a backyard miniature one.
If you say so.

To each their own.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:46 PM

414 posts, read 296,225 times
Quote:

If I want to swim I go to a real pool not a backyard miniature one. There's a couple of community pools that are cheap and spacious.
Sorry, but he/she is not. Your coworker has not a clue.

But if it makes you happy believing otherwise, go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey