U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 07:29 AM

12,822 posts, read 15,015,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Studebaker motor Co. North Brunswick
I had heard that Studebaker once had a factory in either New Brunswick or North Brunswick, but I have never been able to find out where it was located. Do you recall where it was?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 07:43 AM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 13,539,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I had heard that Studebaker once had a factory in either New Brunswick or North Brunswick, but I have never been able to find out where it was located. Do you recall where it was?

On Rt 1 near Livingston Ave. It was the Okanite cable co after it was Studeabaker. Just down the road from the Rt 1 Drive in Movie.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:54 AM

12,822 posts, read 15,015,174 times
Quote:
On Rt 1 near Livingston Ave. It was the Okanite cable co after it was Studeabaker.
Just down the road from the Rt 1 Drive in Movie.
Thanks! IIRC, that Studebaker factory made jet engines for the military.

I remember that location very well, as it was where I received my first speeding ticket, in 1967.

For the younger folks who don't know where this was located, it was just south of the current Rt. 1/Rt. 130 cloverleaf.
Years ago, there was a traffic circle there, and the drive-in movie was not very far south of the traffic circle.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:27 AM

11 posts, read 12,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Two thumbs-up to what stevemorse said.
"I would not move back to NJ, I would look for my needs somewhere else."
You can't get more "south" than South Carolina because once you pass the midpoint (very close to South of the Border) between NYC and Miami, the farther south you go the further north you get!
One of the truest statements I've ever read! haha Unfortunately I'm in the "south" and it is not a good fit.

Sorry to distract from the history lesson as I'm just getting caught up with this

I am a public worker but didn't want to open up the thread with that so the pension situation is of a big concern with me, specifically the police and fire pension. New Jersey does have some of the highest paid public safety personell so the draw back to the state is rather large. However, none of that would matter if the pension system collapses or the taxes are raised so exponentially that it would outweigh the additional pay.

There are other areas of the country that interest me as well, specifically the New England area, but one tends to long for home. I was from the "nicer" portions of Jersey, near Lake Hopatcong so I have been spoiled by it's mountains and beautiful outdoors that you just can't match down where I am.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:36 AM

12,542 posts, read 17,163,727 times
If they can figure out the pension problem, which is a basic math exercise, then prospect for NJ are very good. Great schools, access to NYC and PHL, along with the northeast corridor in general, great diverse options of things to do.

i like it here.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:14 PM

11 posts, read 12,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
If they can figure out the pension problem, which is a basic math exercise, then prospect for NJ are very good. Great schools, access to NYC and PHL, along with the northeast corridor in general, great diverse options of things to do.

i like it here.
Basic math exercise yes, but it is no small task, nor without its negative side effects. It has been put off for years and like it has been previously stated, the taxes will have to rise because of it. How much is the question though...

Old 08-14-2015, 02:26 PM

1,278 posts, read 769,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KardiacKevin View Post
So a little background on myself;

I grew up in New Jersey and spent 95% of my life there. I have just recently moved out of state to Myrtle Beach, SC and this is not somewhere that I would like to make my home for an extended amount of time and I often find myself missing my home turf. This leads me to my question...

What kind of shape is New Jersey in for the future?

While I love my home state and everything that it has to offer, (Let's be honest, there aren't many, if any, area in the country that can compare to all of the culture and conveniences in one place) we're all aware of the dire situation of the state.

I would like to hear some peoples opinions on where the state is going, the future outlook on jobs, government, and the general prospects of the state. Is it still possible to make a good living in NJ like it was before the turn of the century?

Go!
I lived in Jersey for many years my entire childhood up into my adult years after college and marriage. My grandfather lived in NJ, so did my parents.

I left the area because of corruption, high taxes and a joke of the political/court system. One year, they levied a monthly compounded 100% interest rate state tax late fee penalty of $19k while I was in the hospital for 3 months and missed income tax deadline. I wrote to the state treasury and got no help, just saw my penalties compound, and finally had to hire a lawyer to clear the mess, which cost me money out of my pocket.

The fact is, NJ is broke and will do anything to take your money from all angles via the highest tax rates in the country and disgusting practices. It's broke because of the obscene govt spending ie the recent $1.2billion ARC tunnel project that got scrapped with nothing to show for it. Where'd the $1.2 billion go? It went to lawyers and "environmental consultants".

Also, NJ is still extremely business unfriendly. The local govt of W. Caldwell once ran a 2 week audit on my proposed business, bullying me and requiring a business plan presentation to the members of local town hall, in other industrial areas I observed bribery & corruption, red tape, high startup costs, and taxes prevented me from doing what I do now elsewhere. In the private sector, it's just as bad. My friend was a member of a large condo association in NJ, the annual budget audits were ridiculous. Who spends $400k in lawn mowing and snow removal expenses for a building complex? Stories like this are common.

Many large companies have moved out of NJ in the past 20 years, and this trend is continuing. Many of my peers have since transferred out of state as many companies have cut their ties with NJ. Even when a global conglomerate such as LG Electronics proposes a new headquarter in Bergen County, the amount of protest, legal disputes, why would any company want to do business there??

Unfortunately, this is a problem that is too difficult to be corrected as it's born out of entitlement found in the recent demographic profile of the state populace. You have NJ cops, administrators and teachers who actually believe they will make more than doctors and engineers and pension out in their 50's. I've been to too many local town meetings and neighborhood parties to realize that many of the people who resided in my town would not be able to afford living there had they worked with a straight moral compass instead of loopholing the NJ mess. Culturally, this kind of thinking has become the norm in NJ. This is when our family decided to move South.

Is there a fix? I've discussed this in past with other Jersey natives, and really, the only solution will probably be via the taxation of legalized narcotics, increased toll fares, increased taxes in general. No thanks.

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 08-14-2015 at 02:39 PM..

Old 08-14-2015, 03:07 PM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 13,539,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
I lived in Jersey for many years my entire childhood up into my adult years after college and marriage. My grandfather lived in NJ, so did my parents.

I left the area because of corruption, high taxes and a joke of the political/court system. One year, they levied a monthly compounded 100% interest rate state tax late fee penalty of $19k while I was in the hospital for 3 months and missed income tax deadline. I wrote to the state treasury and got no help, just saw my penalties compound, and finally had to hire a lawyer to clear the mess, which cost me money out of my pocket.

The fact is, NJ is broke and will do anything to take your money from all angles via the highest tax rates in the country and disgusting practices. It's broke because of the obscene govt spending ie the recent $1.2billion ARC tunnel project that got scrapped with nothing to show for it. Where'd the $1.2 billion go? It went to lawyers and "environmental consultants".

Also, NJ is still extremely business unfriendly. The local govt of W. Caldwell once ran a 2 week audit on my proposed business, bullying me and requiring a business plan presentation to the members of local town hall, in other industrial areas I observed bribery & corruption, red tape, high startup costs, and taxes prevented me from doing what I do now elsewhere. In the private sector, it's just as bad. My friend was a member of a large condo association in NJ, the annual budget audits were ridiculous. Who spends $400k in lawn mowing and snow removal expenses for a building complex? Stories like this are common.

Many large companies have moved out of NJ in the past 20 years, and this trend is continuing. Many of my peers have since transferred out of state as many companies have cut their ties with NJ. Even when a global conglomerate such as LG Electronics proposes a new headquarter in Bergen County, the amount of protest, legal disputes, why would any company want to do business there??

Unfortunately, this is a problem that is too difficult to be corrected as it's born out of entitlement found in the recent demographic profile of the state populace. You have NJ cops, administrators and teachers who actually believe they will make more than doctors and engineers and pension out in their 50's. I've been to too many local town meetings and neighborhood parties to realize that many of the people who resided in my town would not be able to afford living there had they worked with a straight moral compass instead of loopholing the NJ mess. Culturally, this kind of thinking has become the norm in NJ. This is when our family decided to move South.

Is there a fix? I've discussed this in past with other Jersey natives, and really, the only solution will probably be via the taxation of legalized narcotics, increased toll fares, increased taxes in general. No thanks.
Do you think the Sopranos was based on a ficticious crime family by accident?

Fughedaboutit.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:37 PM

1,278 posts, read 769,776 times
Quote:

Do you think the Sopranos was based on a ficticious crime family by accident?

Fughedaboutit.
The prevalent theory is that after 9/11, secret services budgeted all their resources on international terrorism and ignored mob and corruption as a lesser of two evils. Jersey was fine until then.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:53 PM

439 posts, read 736,907 times
Quote:
I think you missed the migration of jobs out of NJ by about 20-30 years.

Former NJ major employers,
Mack trucks Plainfield
Ford Motor co. Edison (Metuchen)
General Motors Linden, Clark
Studebaker motor Co. North Brunswick
Hundreds of small tool co supporting those auto co's

Union Carbide Corp Bound Brook
American Cyanamid Corp. (Calco) Bridgewater
Johns Manville Manville
Smith Kline-Beecham Piscataway

Those are just the ones I remember in Central NJ but I am sure there are many more long gone in North and South NJ.

Since NJ is a major bedroom state what you really need from the Federal gov. is to build that tunnel under the Hudson so you can get your commuters in and out of NYC in a timely manner.

Major manufacturing is never coming back so work with what you have and that is a well educated white coller work force.
Who said anything about major manufacturing? That's old news. We're losing the suburban office parks (also old news) and will soon lose retail. NJ income tax collection is going to come under pressure regardless of where we are in the economic cycle, and that will make it impossible to pay obligations such as state pension. It will be a vicious cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or