Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 09:45 AM

11 posts, read 23,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
The cycle ends with eventual trend towards ghettofication.. There will never be decentralizing of operations from NYC into NJ, they tried this with Jersey City, Goldman Sachs built that discgusting tower, left it and now empty. Why would any corporation even consider Jersey with regards to tax issues and it being the legal liability capital of the country.

NJ was once the prideful middle upper middle class suburban commuting option prior the the 1990's, a haven away from the urban decay and you were lucky to be able to afford a house in North Jersey and attend one of it's public schools. Things have completely flipped past 15 years, with NYC gentrifying, NJ has now transformed into a national joke and into the primary cheap housing option for city employees and the demographics reflect that. A brownstone in East Village or Brooklyn was once <$200k back in the 80's. It is now $8million. You have working class people from Brooklyn, Staten Island and Queens moving in droves to Jersey as cheaper housing option.

For every single home development that goes up now in North Jersey, there is another 5 more ugly rental complexes built of sticks going up to accomodate the surge in what was once beautiful park like suburb.

Those who don't believe this, only need read the history of places such as Paterson, Jersey City, Secaucus, Kearney, Newark to know that NJ simply does not have the economic lattitude to survive eventual ghetto-fication. The old blue laws will soon be gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
The most accurate post I've read in a long time. I will just add two caveats: I do believe NJ was still a great place to live in the 90s. I distinctly remember it starting to go to crap in the early 2000s whether it be subprime, the tech bubble bursting or 9/11. It's been declining ever since. Please also add Elizabeth to your list. Watched its swift and brutal decline firsthand. My folks used to leave their doors unlocked for 35 years until the house was robbed in the fall of 2000. Try that now and you won't have a house to come home to. For both the city and the state, the last 15 years have been a disaster and I don't see much hope on the horizon.
These are exactly the kind of posts I'm looking for.

As someone who was raised in NJ, those who raised me and I so affectionately call my parents obviously reaped the benefits of a better state. Seeing how well everything worked out for them is something that draws me back to the state but the purpose of this thread is finding out if anyone still thinks the higher quality of life that was present and obtainable in the 50's-00's is still a feasible dream in the present. It seems the general mindset is no, it is not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 09:46 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,243,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
GS building is not empty. In addition to GS back office operations, RBS and NY Life have a presence. UBS occupies a large office in Weehawken.
You're right, it's only 3/4 empty. GS back office, you mean the IT dept. Jersey City is now Little India, "New" New Delhi. You wonder why they'd put all the immigrant H1B workers in Jersey... all the white collar managers and execs are working downtown and posh midtown.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:22 PM

223 posts, read 320,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
If they can figure out the pension problem, which is a basic math exercise, then prospect for NJ are very good. Great schools, access to NYC and PHL, along with the northeast corridor in general, great diverse options of things to do.

i like it here.
I've seen a lot of bradykp's posts around here and I agree with most of them. We're in the same age range - late 20s (myself & spouse), early 30s (him). I wonder how old the people complaining about NJ are? 50+?

I was born, raised, and educated (K-bachelor's degree, one day perhaps a Master's from one of our fine higher education institutions) in NJ. I love it here. I hated it as a kid/teenager, but then around 24-25, the switch flipped and I realized what a gem NJ truly is. We closed on a house in Mercer County late last year. I honestly can't see myself living anywhere else in the country at this point. My husband is from Yonkers, NY, and there is absolutely no comparison. He loves it here, too. We look forward to raising our family in this great state we are fortunate to call home.

Carry on!

Old 08-15-2015, 02:40 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,621,062 times
I love it here also

Old 08-15-2015, 06:25 PM

684 posts, read 809,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangenj View Post
I've seen a lot of bradykp's posts around here and I agree with most of them. We're in the same age range - late 20s (myself & spouse), early 30s (him). I wonder how old the people complaining about NJ are? 50+?

I was born, raised, and educated (K-bachelor's degree, one day perhaps a Master's from one of our fine higher education institutions) in NJ. I love it here. I hated it as a kid/teenager, but then around 24-25, the switch flipped and I realized what a gem NJ truly is. We closed on a house in Mercer County late last year. I honestly can't see myself living anywhere else in the country at this point. My husband is from Yonkers, NY, and there is absolutely no comparison. He loves it here, too. We look forward to raising our family in this great state we are fortunate to call home.

Carry on!

Guess you havent been out much have you? I am 32 years old so no im not 50+ complaining.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:20 PM

2,268 posts, read 3,903,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
I love it here also
I have a greater appreciation for NJ from a distance. If I find myself missing the state, then I can make a one day trip since I'm only 3 hours south and conveniently located off I-95.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:32 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,494,187 times
I am not 50 yet either. However I have had ill feelings on and off for a long time. My problem was finding something better which is not easy. A lot of places are great for vacation for example Charleston SC, Ashville , NC. But to live in those areas to me would not be better than NJ. It took me a lot of time and planning to choose where I would find better than NJ. It was not easy. I searched a lot of States and really spent the past few years doing this slowly. I honest have found my place! Raleigh, NC is perfect for me and I will be visiting NJ to see my Dad and Mother in law. I am excited to leave this State. ITs been a slow long death for me.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:35 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,251,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
You're right, it's only 3/4 empty. GS back office, you mean the IT dept. Jersey City is now Little India, "New" New Delhi. You wonder why they'd put all the immigrant H1B workers in Jersey... all the white collar managers and execs are working downtown and posh midtown.
Nothing I see backs up your point, so unless you can come up with a source, here is what I found. 1.4 million sq foot building, Goldman leases 300,000. That means its using the rest for something, and you can search the careers section of their site to find a non-IT position listed for JC. RBC is has 200,000 sq feet of that tower and they are hiring for a wide range of positions (mostly NON-IT). And of course, NY Life just signed for 100,000 sq feet.

You might have also missed Jet.com, a startup that launched a month ago from NJ (offices in Montclair and Hoboken) taking on Amazon.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:53 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,621,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I am not 50 yet either. However I have had ill feelings on and off for a long time. My problem was finding something better which is not easy. A lot of places are great for vacation for example Charleston SC, Ashville , NC. But to live in those areas to me would not be better than NJ. It took me a lot of time and planning to choose where I would find better than NJ. It was not easy. I searched a lot of States and really spent the past few years doing this slowly. I honest have found my place! Raleigh, NC is perfect for me and I will be visiting NJ to see my Dad and Mother in law. I am excited to leave this State. ITs been a slow long death for me.

Steve are you concerned about what is going on in elementary and secondary education in NC?

Old 08-16-2015, 09:39 AM

223 posts, read 320,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
Guess you havent been out much have you? I am 32 years old so no im not 50+ complaining.
So young to be so bitter. NJ doesn't miss you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey