Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 03:28 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Steve are you concerned about what is going on in elementary and secondary education in NC?
No not for my situation, I'm retired, husband and I retired young 49 and 51 with no kids. However I don't believe that only NJ has great education. If that were the case only NJ students would get into the best Universities and clearly that is not the case. I believe some areas of the county have just as good education in public schools. Now not all but im sure certain areas are very good. I think thats the brainwashing of the NJEA at work. BUt like I said I could be wrong I do not have children.

Let me add that Raleigh NC is the research triangle area. An area of the country with a very educated population. ITs called teas, trees and PHD's. Over 80,000 people with Phd's. I dont think they would put up with bad schools. Very educated population !!! SO no I think its a booming mecca of smart people. Its a great choice with an intelligent population. Dont believe all those techies and bio research people would put up with crappy education. Most of these kids probably go to Duke or UNC , Chapel Hill. Raleigh, Durham ad Chapel Hill make up that area.

I honestly wont miss NJ. However I understand people who love it. I moved to a terrible area before and could not stand it. NJ kicked ass compared to my last move. I ran back and was happy to leave that place.. Nj is definately not a bad place compared to alot of others. I would not move anywhere else but Raleigh. For me, I looked for along time not to make the same mistake. Most 99 percent of my choices where not right. Here was my list of not better places Scottsdale, AZ, Sarasota Fl, Venice, Fl, Charleston ,SC Mt. Pleasant, SC, Nashville, TN, BUrlington VT, Marshfield Hils, MA, Duxbury, MA, and all of CA. Raliegh was my first choice, I I also liked Manassas area of VA and some parts of VA but I dont know if VA is better than NJ. Keep in mind the retirement factor and here is the best news, its not a prison sentence!!! I can always come and visit or move again! Life and moving are risk taking so who really knows until you actually do it. However I am rolling the dice!

Last edited by stevemorse; 08-16-2015 at 04:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 05:00 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,763 times
NC cut teachers salaries drastically so they are facing a teacher shortage. Nothing to do with NJEA propaganda.

For you the educational system means nothing and that is fine. For a families with school aged students that issue has to be considered. Some States that have done the same thing have opened teaching jobs up to non-certified teachers including high school dropouts can meet the qualifications to teach.

What did you and your husband do that allowed you to retire so young?

Old 08-16-2015, 05:42 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
A lot of doom and gloom in here. NJ has two big issues: The pension crisis and property taxes.

Both are intertwined and solvable. Other then that I think its a great state.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:00 PM

The pensions that are the most underfunded get no money from property taxes and have not since at least 1991.

The two pensions with the funding issues are teachers and state workers and neither gets any contributions from property tax funds,

Old 08-17-2015, 03:35 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
NC cut teachers salaries drastically so they are facing a teacher shortage. Nothing to do with NJEA propaganda.

For you the educational system means nothing and that is fine. For a families with school aged students that issue has to be considered. Some States that have done the same thing have opened teaching jobs up to non-certified teachers including high school dropouts can meet the qualifications to teach.

What did you and your husband do that allowed you to retire so young?
Invested in the market for over 30 plus years and it grew to a large amount to be able to live off capital gains and divs. I also live pretty low key and reinvested all the profits for 30 years. Ohh the beauty of compound interest over long periods of time.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:04 AM

Congratulations.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:15 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
A lot

A lot

A lot

Not allot or alot. The first is actually a real word, but it doesn't mean a lot. The second is not a word at all.

Please comply. Thank you.

Love, the Spelling Police

Old 08-17-2015, 05:19 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A lot

A lot

A lot

Not allot or alot. The first is actually a real word, but it doesn't mean a lot. The second is not a word at all.

Please comply. Thank you.

Love, the Spelling Police

Amen!

Old 08-17-2015, 05:23 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
As OP have stated, you might have just picked the wrong place to move. NJ taxes are only going to increase. The $$ owed in the pension fund will only continue to grow with the lucrative packages and pensions offered to the employees. Eventually something will have to give, whether that be bankruptcy or something else. The amount of police chiefs within each small community is staggering, as are superintendents of schools. Each community holds tight fisted to their way of life and it continues to cost $$$.

Spouse grew up in NJ but it changed so much she wanted out. Our children left to go away to college and vowed not to return,which they didn't.

You might look into Greenville, SC. We travel quite a bit in our motorhome and spent some time there last year. Wonderful place, very clean, friendly and lots to do. Friends live there and they love it.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:17 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

Amen!
Hahahaha, I knew you'd be the one person guaranteed not to throw overripe Jersey tomatoes at me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey