Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 11:17 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times

Advertisements

Increasingly I have seen toll plazas on the GSP (Garden State Parkway) now more and more on many of the major interchanges for instance I-78 and the GSP and I-280 and the GSP which have ONLY exact change or EZ Pass toll booths.

I don't have a problem myself since I've had EZ Pass many years, probably about 15 years BUT very often you see a bewildered out of state driver stuck at an Exact Change toll booth with NO other options, with a line of frustrated drivers behind them blowing horns.

If you are in this situation there isn't much you can do, no one to talk to, you wind up going through and getting a bill in the mail for the toll plus a $50 administrative (sucker) fee.

There are some ways you can later process the toll online IF you can find someone a relative or friend who can process the toll under their EZ Pass where they usually waive the admin fee.

Only other option if you don't have EZ Pass is to carry a boatload of quarters as many of the tolls are $1.50.

Years ago on the NY bridges they started having one toll booth for cash so if you didn't have EZ Pass you could easily waste a half hour sitting in the cash lane. NJ seems to have done one better with just eliminating the cash lane many times especially at night but even in the day at many toll plazas.

Seems like a good way to **** off out of state travelers anyway. Not my idea anyway but definitely out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 07:19 AM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Yes, at my exit off the GSP, there are three lanes--two EZ-Pass and one Exact Change. I wondered what the other people do.

I think they are just trying to break everyone in to AET (All-Electronic Tolling), coming soon to a toll road near you.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:33 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,335 times
I seem to recall from many many years ago, pre-EZ Pass, that the exact change lanes have envelopes that you can take to mail in your toll. I wonder if they still have them.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:39 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I seem to recall from many many years ago, pre-EZ Pass, that the exact change lanes have envelopes that you can take to mail in your toll. I wonder if they still have them.
Nope!
The envelopes are no longer available at any of the toll plazas that I have used.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:00 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,427,433 times
How does one buy one of them toll boothes ?

I promise to all major credit cards on my toll booth !

Old 08-17-2015, 08:05 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,187,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, at my exit off the GSP, there are three lanes--two EZ-Pass and one Exact Change. I wondered what the other people do.

I think they are just trying to break everyone in to AET (All-Electronic Tolling), coming soon to a toll road near you.
I agree with the cost savings from All electronic transactions, but in that case they should allow people to pay via a credit card. Just swipe the card and go.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:14 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
I agree with the cost savings from All electronic transactions, but in that case they should allow people to pay via a credit card. Just swipe the card and go.
That's not a bad idea. I get the cost savings of not manning the booth with a person for the (very) few people that would be needed at some exits. But the card reader would be a relatively low-cost option.

Although I'm sure there would still be people who would then say they don't have E-ZPass, exact change AND don't have a credit card...

Old 08-17-2015, 08:35 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
There are some new roads, I heard the recently built InterCounty Connector in Maryland that only take electronic toll payments but what I've heard is that if you don' have an EZ Pass transponder they send you a bill for $3 or $4 extra in the mail.

ICC Toll Rates

GSP seems to be $50 fee each toll if you dont carry change or have an EZ Pass.

Another idea is you could put your license plate number make model year on a friends account and that friend would get billed only the toll. Gotta be a good friend or family member to absorb your toll costs.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:55 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
There are some new roads, I heard the recently built InterCounty Connector in Maryland that only take electronic toll payments but what I've heard is that if you don' have an EZ Pass transponder they send you a bill for $3 or $4 extra in the mail.

ICC Toll Rates

GSP seems to be $50 fee each toll if you dont carry change or have an EZ Pass.

Another idea is you could put your license plate number make model year on a friends account and that friend would get billed only the toll. Gotta be a good friend or family member to absorb your toll costs.

Just not Maryland Virginia has them also ,they are called" Express lanes".

Old 08-17-2015, 09:28 AM

4 posts, read 6,568 times
Last week I was travelling to NJ-NY from Texas and apparently had no change to put into “Exact change” toll and there was no one at the booth to help me out. So, eventually, I had to drive away without paying the toll.

Is there any contact number that I can call and pay the toll amount before they issue fine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey