U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-26-2008, 11:12 AM
 
9 posts, read 69,860 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

I'm having a difficult time reading or interpreting the maps online that show cities in relation to Manhattan/New York and New Jersey. Can someone give me a rundown from closest to furthest away commute-wise with safety as a consideration. I am a single woman with a 17-year old and her new baby.

Thank you so much!! If you can indicate what type of transportation will be available from these cities/neighborhoods that would be great as well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2008, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Rahway N.J
2,093 posts, read 3,750,396 times
Reputation: 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny/nj/bound View Post
I'm having a difficult time reading or interpreting the maps online that show cities in relation to Manhattan/New York and New Jersey. Can someone give me a rundown from closest to furthest away commute-wise with safety as a consideration. I am a single woman with a 17-year old and her new baby.

Thank you so much!! If you can indicate what type of transportation will be available from these cities/neighborhoods that would be great as well.

You will have to give a little more info as to what you are looking for as in price range for rental or buying, how much of a commute you can tolerate ,where in the city do you have to commute to and so on, You can go from Hoboken or Jersey city and be in the city in minutes but you will be paying for that , The futher away you go the cheaper it gets but the commute time goes up and up and up .Most towns that are an hour or less away have trains and or buses that go into the city ,but again the futrher away you go the more the price of those tickets goes up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2008, 11:51 AM
 
9 posts, read 69,860 times
Reputation: 17
Default 5th Ave & 17th St. and Housing Details

I'm going to be working in a building off 5th Ave. & 17th St. I am looking to rent around $3,000 or so a month for myself and my daughter who has a new baby. I don't want a really long or complicated commute into the city.

Any help or insight on communities with approximate commutes with safety a consideration for location would be tremendously appreciated.

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2008, 01:49 PM
 
7,081 posts, read 24,760,649 times
Reputation: 3652
You'd have an easier commute, since you're working relatively EAST, from Brooklyn, Queens or Westchester. Do you have to live in NJ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2008, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Rahway N.J
2,093 posts, read 3,750,396 times
Reputation: 3316
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny/nj/bound View Post
I'm going to be working in a building off 5th Ave. & 17th St. I am looking to rent around $3,000 or so a month for myself and my daughter who has a new baby. I don't want a really long or complicated commute into the city.

Any help or insight on communities with approximate commutes with safety a consideration for location would be tremendously appreciated.

Thank you!!!
For that amount you can find something in Hoboken
or jersey city down by the water
from those two you would take the path train right into the city

I hope these links work for you (when you use it just put in hoboken or jersey city and hit search
Good luck

We would love to have you down our way
but the commute is about 50 minutes into the city by train

Search Results - ForRent.com

Search Results - ForRent.com

Last edited by BrianG; 01-26-2008 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: wrong link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2008, 04:25 PM
 
3,369 posts, read 7,594,469 times
Reputation: 1590
Do you want a suburban neighborhood with commuter train service or an urban neighborhood with PATH train / subway service? How long are you willing to commute - 30 minutes? 60 minutes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2008, 05:46 PM
 
228 posts, read 526,789 times
Reputation: 136
Thumbs up Life is good in Bayonne

ny/nj/bound, you have to look at Bayonne!

I lived there for 50 years, and I would still be there if I wasn't looking for someplace more rural for retirement.

Bayonne has all of the benefits of a larger city, but still retains some of the flavor of a smaller community. It enjoys a lower crime rate than surrounding areas, but still has good transportation into NYC.

Example: Light Rail connection to PATH trains in Jersey City or Hoboken, then PATH directly into NYC. Not too expensive, relatively quick and easy.

There are some good rentals available as far as I know (I moved away 2 years ago).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2008, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Morris County NJ
3 posts, read 23,501 times
Reputation: 14
Look for towns along the major rail lines, or with a bus to Manhattan Go to [url=http://www.njtransit.com]New Jersey Transit - Home[/url] to look at the bus and rail lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2008, 11:42 PM
 
9 posts, read 69,860 times
Reputation: 17
Default Where's 'Down Our Way'?

Brian,

Thanks so much for the help - where are you located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2008, 11:44 PM
 
9 posts, read 69,860 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJexpat View Post
ny/nj/bound, you have to look at Bayonne!

I lived there for 50 years, and I would still be there if I wasn't looking for someplace more rural for retirement.

Bayonne has all of the benefits of a larger city, but still retains some of the flavor of a smaller community. It enjoys a lower crime rate than surrounding areas, but still has good transportation into NYC.

Example: Light Rail connection to PATH trains in Jersey City or Hoboken, then PATH directly into NYC. Not too expensive, relatively quick and easy.

There are some good rentals available as far as I know (I moved away 2 years ago).
Thanks so much for the Bayonne recommendation. I hadn't heard of that as an option. I truly appreciate you taking the time to respond. Have a wonderful evening!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top